Best non-diamond home 7ft table

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey all,

the wifey is finally letting me put a pool table in the home. We only have enough space for a 7ft. My first thought was of course the diamond with pro cut pockets but she thinks the table is too block-like to put in a home. So we are thinking of getting the "prettier" pool tables. I know I'm not going to get the playability of a diamond table in a furniture table, but what's your take on the best non-diamond 7ft that is still sleek and appealing? I think the biggest difference are the ways the pockets are cut and the cushions right? I don't mind drop pockets. My first thought was blatt billiards, as my friends condo has a 7ft one and it plays ok. Any thoughts?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remodel the furniture in the house to match the table :grin-square:;)

Any good quality table that is setup by a good mechanic with good cut pockets can play well for you, the big issue with furniture type tables is the leveling options are more limited and those leather pockets are just gross to play on, they like to bounce out balls hit center pocket when they hit the rear.

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remodel the furniture in the house to match the table :grin-square:;)

Any good quality table that is setup by a good mechanic with good cut pockets can play well for you, the big issue with furniture type tables is the leveling options are more limited and those leather pockets are just gross to play on, they like to bounce out balls hit center pocket when they hit the rear.

It's true what you say about some furniture tables spitting out balls. But do you happen to know any models or makers that have good cut pockets? Most of the furniture 7fters ive seen have like 5" pockets and that's just not fun to play on. I'm thinking at most 4.5" or even less (whats the pro-cut width?). The only bar tables i've seen with good size pockets are diamonds and some valleys.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
hey all,

the wifey is finally letting me put a pool table in the home. We only have enough space for a 7ft. My first thought was of course the diamond with pro cut pockets but she thinks the table is too block-like to put in a home. So we are thinking of getting the "prettier" pool tables. I know I'm not going to get the playability of a diamond table in a furniture table, but what's your take on the best non-diamond 7ft that is still sleek and appealing? I think the biggest difference are the ways the pockets are cut and the cushions right? I don't mind drop pockets. My first thought was blatt billiards, as my friends condo has a 7ft one and it plays ok. Any thoughts?

Diamond does make more than one style of table..

www.diamondbilliards.com

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's true what you say about some furniture tables spitting out balls. But do you happen to know any models or makers that have good cut pockets? Most of the furniture 7fters ive seen have like 5" pockets and that's just not fun to play on. I'm thinking at most 4.5" or even less (whats the pro-cut width?). The only bar tables i've seen with good size pockets are diamonds and some valleys.

Well first thing you should do is look for a used table and get new rails for it when the table setup is done, that way you can specify the size pockets and will have new rails. Used 7' + new rails is cheaper than new table. It may not play as well as a table that comes with tight pockets stock unless you spend a lot on extending the rails, but it will play better than the normal buckets.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
hey all,

Where is the table going in the house, the family room ? Heck, the Diamond table with the Rosewood rails is a pretty table. If the table is going in the basement, who the heck cares. This is like the wife buying a treadmill, but you want something that looks "good" but is not as functional.

Sorry, I just don't understand how the wife gets a say in what table you need to buy. Buy the table you will be playing on the most. Not to many bars or tourneys or leagues have Olhausen tables that I know of ;)

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well first thing you should do is look for a used table and get new rails for it when the table setup is done, that way you can specify the size pockets and will have new rails. Used 7' + new rails is cheaper than new table. It may not play as well as a table that comes with tight pockets stock unless you spend a lot on extending the rails, but it will play better than the normal buckets.

I did that with a used Valley- had them install 4 inch pockets and it has been a great table to play on for over 2 years.

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell her your going to put a valley in there....let her see the pictures....then a diamond will look like art

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where is the table going in the house, the family room ? Heck, the Diamond table with the Rosewood rails is a pretty table. If the table is going in the basement, who the heck cares. This is like the wife buying a treadmill, but you want something that looks "good" but is not as functional.

Sorry, I just don't understand how the wife gets a say in what table you need to buy. Buy the table you will be playing on the most. Not to many bars or tourneys or leagues have Olhausen tables that I know of ;)

Well wife gets a say because it will be smack down in the middle of the living room. I live in NYC so there's no basement or other floor. She will have to look at it everyday lol and I get to have as much say in the things she wants to buy so it's only fair (I know, 21st century right?). Try to think of it from a non-pool player point of view. You can look at a furniture table with nice carved edges and say its appealing, but most non-pool players will not look at a diamond table and see its beauty.

Just to clarify, I'm not posting this thread to learn how to change my wife's mind or to "get the balls" to tell her to stfu (she already has to live with a guy who eats breaths and dreams pool she shouldn't have to put up with a barbarian as well). I'm posting this thread to try and pull from the huge pool of wisdom and knowledge on this forum on what furniture table would play decent in terms of stability, pockets, and rail response. If I really wanted to convince my wife to get something she doesn't want, I can (case and point: being married to me :D) but that's not the way I work. I rather compromise.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well wife gets a say because it will be smack down in the middle of the living room. I live in NYC so there's no basement or other floor. She will have to look at it everyday lol and I get to have as much say in the things she wants to buy so it's only fair (I know, 21st century right?). Try to think of it from a non-pool player point of view. You can look at a furniture table with nice carved edges and say its appealing, but most non-pool players will not look at a diamond table and see its beauty.

Just to clarify, I'm not posting this thread to learn how to change my wife's mind or to "get the balls" to tell her to stfu (she already has to live with a guy who eats breaths and dreams pool she shouldn't have to put up with a barbarian as well). I'm posting this thread to try and pull from the huge pool of wisdom and knowledge on this forum on what furniture table would play decent in terms of stability, pockets, and rail response. If I really wanted to convince my wife to get something she doesn't want, I can (case and point: being married to me :D) but that's not the way I work. I rather compromise.

Tell her the sound of you playing and breaking will be so annoying that she won't even think about how bad she thinks the table looks and the Diamond is quieter :) LOL

To quote a great movie after a loud train passes by a window "How often does the train go by?" "So often you won't even notice it".

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Show her some valley tables and tell her you're thinking of getting one...the diamond will start to look rather stylish...

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
c'mon guys, some constructive posts, answering my question: NON-diamond tables that play decent and already come with decently sized pockets. If this does not exist just say so lol

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming you're looking for a new, high-quality table and willing to pay accordingly, I'd recommend you give Diamond a call and talk through the options. The "blocky" look of the Pro-Am/Smart Table is partially due to it being made with dymondwood rails, which is hard on tools. If you're getting regular hardwood rails, you can get the rounded corners you see on the Diamond Professional model.

brechbt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tap tap tap. Well said.

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since no-one seems to have answered the question I will tell you my experience.

I would go with Olhausen - but cover it with Simonis. Not as nice as a diamond but I practice on it all the time and seem to shoot just fine on Diamond tables.

They have a wide variety of styles to choose from, from traditional to modern. I have a 'Monarch' in Cherry wood and have gotten a lot of compliments on it. It has inside pockets so you at least won't see the pool balls when it's not being played.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

LIke I said, the Diamond rosewood is a right pretty table :) And yes, I understand you "must" compromise, I don't get it, but I understand, kind of ;)

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My take on "sleek and appealing" is that those are terms used by non-pool-playing women when describing a table.

Grow a pair, put your big daddy pants on (get them from your wife first), and go buy a Diamond table.

Reactions: KRJ

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Diamond table styles.....

IMG_2941.PNG

IMG_2940.PNG

IMG_2939.PNG

I'd stick with Diamond