Thomas Hueston

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thomas Hueston of Scranton Pennsylvania was born in 1882
He won his first Pocket Billiard Championship in 1905, he won many more in the next several years at pocket billiards.
He then did something very few players have done in the history of the sport, if you go by the Billiard Congress of Americas records , he was one of only 3 people who is recognised as being champion at pocket billiards and 3 cushion billiards also.
Many people think Mosconi was one of them , he was not, also, Harold Worst is not recognised by them.
The three were Thomas Hueston, Alfredo De Oro and Johnny Layton.
Huestons first 3 cushion championship on record was in 1908.
As he did in pocket billiards , he also won several more championships in the following years at this game.
It is my understanding that the BCA did not allow anyone to hold both championship spots at the same time , so , if you were champion at pocket billiards and won the 3 cushion title , you lost your pocket billiards champion status .
That means someone like Hueston or De Oro may not have lost a championship for many years to another player , just to the pencil !
Then you have a span of terrific players starting with De Oro, CharlesCowboy Weston,
Jerome Keough, Edward Ralph, Bennie Allen, Johnny Layton Emmett Blankenship, Frank Taberski, Ralph Greenleaf, Erwin Rudolph and then in 1927, 19 years after his last championship at the game, Thomas Hueston wins the pocket billiard championship again!. he would have been about 46 at the time.
My great friend, George Rood, recognised him in some pictures of the old time great players I have, as someone he played, when he was playing at championship level.
He said when they played, George thought it was the late 40s in Norfolk.
Hueston was a pretty old man {around 60} and that he still had a difficult time beating him.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thomas Hueston of Scranton Pennsylvania was born in 1882
He won his first Pocket Billiard Championship in 1905, he won many more in the next several years at pocket billiards.
He then did something very few players have done in the history of the sport, if you go by the Billiard Congress of Americas records , he was one of only 3 people who is recognised as being champion at pocket billiards and 3 cushion billiards also.
Many people think Mosconi was one of them , he was not, also, Harold Worst is not recognised by them.
The three were Thomas Hueston, Alfredo De Oro and Johnny Layton.
Huestons first 3 cushion championship on record was in 1908.
As he did in pocket billiards , he also won several more championships in the following years at this game.
It is my understanding that the BCA did not allow anyone to hold both championship spots at the same time , so , if you were champion at pocket billiards and won the 3 cushion title , you lost your pocket billiards champion status .
That means someone like Hueston or De Oro may not have lost a championship for many years to another player , just to the pencil !
Then you have a span of terrific players starting with De Oro, CharlesCowboy Weston,
Jerome Keough, Edward Ralph, Bennie Allen, Johnny Layton Emmett Blankenship, Frank Taberski, Ralph Greenleaf, Erwin Rudolph and then in 1927, 19 years after his last championship at the game, Thomas Hueston wins the pocket billiard championship again!. he would have been about 46 at the time.
My great friend, George Rood, recognised him in some pictures of the old time great players I have, as someone he played, when he was playing at championship level.
He said when they played, George thought it was the late 40s in Norfolk.
Hueston was a pretty old man {around 60} and that he still had a difficult time beating him.

A small correction to the above. The BCA did not exist until 1948, so they were not responsible for any dual-championship restriction. I believe the championship regulations were set by BBCCo when Hueston was playing. Here is an article from 1908 about him playing Jerome Keogh at "continuous pool" which at that time was not 14.1. http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1908/03/31/page/8/article/hueston-leads-keogh-at-pool