Blue Circle cue balls and faith in Mankind

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone think these are not all official Blue Circles?
I'm guessing the new one you ordered direct from Brunswick is the middle one, which appears to be a little whiter in color than the other two. Also, the blue circle looks slightly bluer with a slightly thicker line on the middle one compared to the other two. I'm guessing that's because the other two are likely considerably older, despite appearing to be in excellent condition.

I would experiment playing with all three. If you use the same chalk, I'm guessing the chalk marks, and how hard they are to get completely off the cue balls, even the brand new one, is your best telltale sign of whether they are true blue circle centennial cue balls.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I'm guessing the new one you ordered direct from Brunswick is the middle one, which appears to be a little whiter in color than the other two. Also, the blue circle looks slightly bluer with a slightly thicker line on the middle one compared to the other two. I'm guessing that's because the other two are likely considerably older, despite appearing to be in excellent condition.

I would experiment playing with all three. If you use the same chalk, I'm guessing the chalk marks, and how hard they are to get completely off the cue balls, even the brand new one, is your best telltale sign of whether they are true blue circle centennial cue balls.

Chris - So, chalk sinks into the surface of real Blue Circles Centennials? I'm guessing due to being more porous?

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GG - Looking at them up close and personal, the two on each end are *identical*. Exactly the same color, and the circles are exactly the same shade of blue and the same size. The one in the middle, ( the new one ) is much lighter in color and the blue is brighter and, the blue line forming the circle is thicker. Not by much, but it's thicker.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I have the feeling you'll pay it back. It's good Karma to pass these things along...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My somewhat dated blue circle story....

Many years ago (early 70s?) it was the fashion to carry around your own cue ball and the blue circle was the one to have. I got myself one and used it proudly.

Then one day I was doing the simple over-the-spots drill (shoot to the far cushion and have the cue ball come straight back to your tip) and it was not going well. The cue ball would take a roll the last couple of feet and end up six inches off if the speed was just hard enough to get back to me. But the roll was not always there and not always the same way.

I marked the ball with a pencil and tried the lag with the cue ball turned in each of six ways. It turned out that my beloved blue circle was off-center -- it had a heavy side. I retired it.

Years later at a tournament in Sacramento I saw a blue circle that had broken open. It looked like the center -- about the size of a ping-pong ball? -- was not the same material. It looked more chalky. It was also off-center as you could see that the "crust" was quite a bit thicker on one part.

That was back when Albany/Hyatt was making "Brunswick" balls.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
My somewhat dated blue circle story....

Many years ago (early 70s?) it was the fashion to carry around your own cue ball and the blue circle was the one to have. I got myself one and used it proudly.

Then one day I was doing the simple over-the-spots drill (shoot to the far cushion and have the cue ball come straight back to your tip) and it was not going well. The cue ball would take a roll the last couple of feet and end up six inches off if the speed was just hard enough to get back to me. But the roll was not always there and not always the same way.

I marked the ball with a pencil and tried the lag with the cue ball turned in each of six ways. It turned out that my beloved blue circle was off-center -- it had a heavy side. I retired it.

Years later at a tournament in Sacramento I saw a blue circle that had broken open. It looked like the center -- about the size of a ping-pong ball? -- was not the same material. It looked more chalky. It was also off-center as you could see that the "crust" was quite a bit thicker on one part.

That was back when Albany/Hyatt was making "Brunswick" balls.

Hmmmm... a heady point, Mr. Jewett. I've already used all three and haven't noticed anything as yet but then again, I haven't really tried to find anything. I'll have to do exactly as you did and see if any are off center.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris - So, chalk sinks into the surface of real Blue Circles Centennials? I'm guessing due to being more porous?
Yes, I have always experienced a problem with chalk marks even from normal play being harder to get off the blue circle than any of the other 3 premium cue balls. Red Circles clean off the easiest, the pro cup and aramith logo about the same, and the blue circle easily the hardest to get the chalk marks off. I've found denatured alcohol doused on a sponge to be the best/easiest way to remove chalk marks and even miscue marks from cue balls. I'm sure there are other products just as good, but I just happened to have that in my storage room and tried it, and it works great. Be sure to put some latex gloves on your hands, and I don't think it's recommended to contact your skin for any extended period.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Yes, I have always experienced a problem with chalk marks even from normal play being harder to get off the blue circle than any of the other 3 premium cue balls. Red Circles clean off the easiest, the pro cup and aramith logo about the same, and the blue circle easily the hardest to get the chalk marks off. I've found denatured alcohol doused on a sponge to be the best/easiest way to remove chalk marks and even miscue marks from cue balls. I'm sure there are other products just as good, but I just happened to have that in my storage room and tried it, and it works great. Be sure to put some latex gloves on your hands, and I don't think it's recommended to contact your skin for any extended period.

And where would someone get denatured alcohol?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
That a good idea. WW... I'll have to do that over the next few days.

WW - Here ya go. Anyone else, feel free to toss yer .02 in. The one in the middle is the one I ordered straight from Brunswick. The other two are the ones the kind gentleman was nice enough to send.

Personally, I would have the most doubt in the one in the middle, as I've never seen a new blue circle cue ball with that light a shade of blue. The others look genuine.

Having said that, I'm not saying the one in the middle isn't genuine. It could be that Aramith is putting a slightly lighter, brighter shade of blue in the blue circles these days. But it does look a bit different than older Aramith blue circles, as well as the ones made by Hyatt (Albany Ball Company).

All the best,
WW

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
a blue circle
bought from brunswick
how could it not be authentic ......:confused:
could the formula have changed ??
maybe ....???
ww said this..... it does look a bit different than older Aramith blue circles, as well as the ones made by Hyatt (Albany Ball Company).m wild wing
fwiw
its not made by hyatt ,,,,,,, now
just sayin

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fake blue circle colors are usually a hair lighter blue, the circle is also a hair thinner and will wear off over time because the circle is only on the surface of the ball, unlike real blue circles. Also, the ball itself wears down faster and you will see it getting noticeably smaller much quicker than normal Centennial cue balls.

But the most important thing is that the cue ball matches the balls in the set. You should be using Centennials to get the most out of a blue circle cue ball.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
maybe i am a nostalgic old fart (p.s. i am...:embarrassed2: )
but buying a cue ball from brunswick
should be as counterfeit proof as you can get
like most things nothing is as good as when giants walked the streets
and the formula may have changed
but it has to be an authentic blue circle cue ball
jmho
sorry for my multi post rant

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Personally, I would have the most doubt in the one in the middle, as I've never seen a new blue circle cue ball with that light a shade of blue. The others look genuine.

Having said that, I'm not saying the one in the middle isn't genuine. It could be that Aramith is putting a slightly lighter, brighter shade of blue in the blue circles these days. But it does look a bit different than older Aramith blue circles, as well as the ones made by Hyatt (Albany Ball Company).

All the best,
WW

Certainly a possibility, WW... and highly ironic if so, as it's the one that came directly from Brunswick, not a re-seller. In dealing with them to get the Blue Circle ( they screwed the pooch on the order in several ways ), I found out Brunswick isn't even Brunswick anymore. I mean, they are, but... they're owned by some fitness company who bought them lock, stock and barrel some years ago. So it really wouldn't surprise me.

Addendum: Reading Wikipedia just now @ Brunswick, it says Brunswick bought the health company, not the other way around, but the manager I spoke with at Brunswick ( after they screwed the order up twice ) told me she had worked for the fitness co. for 20 years and had come to Brunswick when her company acquired Brunswick... so, who knows?

Last edited: