APA Unmarked Pocket Cost my Rackess, then the Match

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A gimme missed

When it happens, I think it is 'business'.
I saw Pagalayan have BIH on the 8, two feet from the pocket, and the 9 was hanging in the pocket at the other end of the table. No power or speed shot was necessary to get shape on 9, just roll the cue ball...
He missed the 8.
Draw your own conclusions.

I was shooting in a medium sized tournament and had to pocket the nine in a corner pocket. Almost straight in, the nine less than eighteen inches from the pocket, the cue ball about the same from the nine. Average pockets on a Diamond nine footer. Made that shot thousands of times. I got down on the shot three times, couldn't see the line! Freaking ridiculous, an impossible to miss shot but my eyes were playing games. Down on the shot for the third time I thought the shot was impossible to miss and my opponent would start to think I was jacking with him so I finally shot, and jawed the pocket when I had the full pocket to shoot at.

Funny thing, I was watching pool on TV a month or two later and saw both Efren and Bustamonte miss the identical shot in separate matches, both misses costing the player the match! Even shots that it would seem the player must make 999 times out of a thousand, the thousandth time does come around and it doesn't have to be business for it to happen.

Hu

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not read every post in this thread but from what I have read no one is disputing the rule per se. I think most posters on here are lamenting the lack of sportsmanship ....for lack if a better term at the moment..from people who use that rule to win a match when they fail to do it with their cue.

I mentioned earlier of an incident I witnessed when a player called that rule on his opponent in a hill-hill match after neither player marking the pocket in the previous 8 racks of that match.

Douchbaggery as some have said. Kinda like in a 9 ball match I had once when my opponent conceded an easy shot on the 9 to me in a couple racks during the match and then had me shoot the 9 in with bih for the winning shot of the match.

The only time I've applied this rule was due to lack of sportsmanship. My opponent failed to mark the pocket and I pointed it out and said I'd ask my captain what he wanted to do. The lady jumped all over me, calling me names and acting like a douchebag. I turned and said I'll take the game because I won't be treated disrespectfully like that. I had to play her 9 ball the same night and left her with the nine in the jaws of a corner and BIH. She said you're not going to make me shoot that, I said "of course you have to shoot it". She followed it right in with whitey. I was so far into her head at that point the rest of the match was a runaway.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
The only time I've applied this rule was due to lack of sportsmanship. My opponent failed to mark the pocket and I pointed it out and said I'd ask my captain what he wanted to do. The lady jumped all over me, calling me names and acting like a douchebag. I turned and said I'll take the game because I won't be treated disrespectfully like that. I had to play her 9 ball the same night and left her with the nine in the jaws of a corner and BIH. She said you're not going to make me shoot that, I said "of course you have to shoot it". She followed it right in with whitey. I was so far into her head at that point the rest of the match was a runaway.

I can't tell you how much I support this position. I can be the easiest guy to play a match
with. Just show me the minimal amount of respect due to a person that you share a
common interest with, be just a little cordial, you don't even have to be friendly, just don't
be rude and things will be fine, but you be an ass-hat, be rude, be that douche bag and if you
fart in the wrong direction and I'll make it my mission to make you miserable. Winning
almost becomes secondary, whatever it might take to get into your head and make you sorry
you picked up your cue and bothered to show up, that's what I'll do