Kamui Chalk....When to chalk?!?!

TheThaiger

Banned
I previously used Silver Cup, ( a few weeks ago) and would just toss it out once it was half used cause I had a case of the stuff. Somebody in my league gave me a very used piece of Magic Chalk, and it sat in my basement for months before I said, what the F*ck, I"m gonna give it a try.

I'll never go back to Masters or Silver Cup, and at only $2.50, it seems like quite the bargain compared to Kamui which is 10 times more expensive. And yep, the Magic Chalk is about 10 times more expensive than Masters, but I think it grabs better, and draws a little better, and it will most likely last 10 times as long, so price won't even matter. And no misuces ever...

But, Masters or Silver Cup will get along fine for years to come, and is a good product as long as you chalk after every one shot, or at least two shots. I'm just digging not chalking for 40 shots while I do drills, so for me it works, but might not for others. I'm usually a tough sell, heck, I still dont even play with a LD shaft, (yet) but once I tried it, I was sold.

I never knocked Kamui in any of the prior threads, cause I never tried it, but I tried the Magic Chalk, and it's great....

Where can you buy Magic Chalk? It's russian, isn't it?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Where can you buy Magic Chalk? It's russian, isn't it?

Try "koinnkid" AKA: Troy from TNT Cues in Minnesota. He sells it.

Is it Russian ? Well, it says "made in Russia" and has some Russian words on the box, but from a friend of mine he says nobody in Russian knows a thing about this chalk? So, not really sure where it is actually made???

TheThaiger

Banned
Try "koinnkid" AKA: Troy from TNT Cues in Minnesota. He sells it.

Is it Russian ? Well, it says "made in Russia" and has some Russian words on the box, but from a friend of mine he says nobody in Russian knows a thing about this chalk? So, not really sure where it is actually made???

Thanks mate.

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I typically chalk before the break,
Then chalk my shooter once. If there is a need for me to stand up and think, I'll chalk again but usually once per rack is plenty.
I don't even notice not chalking before every shot now.
I even leave the kamui chalk behind my q claw, I don't take it to the table during a game!

I do the same thing with Masters chalk. Not so much now as I used to, because I'm trying to avoid the miscues entirely, but if I'm playing with a soft tip I'll forget to chalk for a whole match and not notice. Most famously I'll chalk my break cue, then play the rack out with my shooter having forgotten to chalk after the break. I play with a hard tip now, but I miscue maybe once or twice an hour if I haven't chalked at all. I think it really is more about the stroke than the tip, because i miscue more often on the shots I'm uncertain about.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife bought a cube for me for Christmas that I stole out of my stocking early. The chalk seems to work alright, but I like to chalk before every shot. What I do is put a base of it on my cues before I start playing and then use my Masters over it to chalk every shot. I play for about an hour at a time. The Masters seems to stay on even better and the base stays there for at least an hour of shooting...probably much longer. Johnnyt

Interesting use of Kamui and maybe a new selling point using the chalk as a base coat, undercoat, primer or miscue safety layer for when the surface chalk gets rubbed off. I used to use a good piece of masters chalk to prime my cue and then would use whatever the college hall had even including the dusty stuff on top.

I tried this out years ago as a poor as hell college student in a student union pool hall where the chalk there was that really crappy light blue cheap dusty feeling stuff that most people hate using and it performed much better once on top of the masters chalk. The masters chalk was a prized possession under the cheaply stocked conditions we had in that hall. The guys there used to wonder how I got the cue ball to do all the stuff I got it to do and without that undercoat I surely would have constantly miscued.

Thanks Johnnyt

To answer the OP...I would chalk on every shot just to be safe but don't heap it on. If this stuff covers as well as I'm hearing you probably could go a few shots without chalking even if you're on the edge of the ball but why take that chance. Just lightly reapply on top of what's there and hopefully that piece will last a long long time.

Anyone know the lifespan of a piece of Kamui chalk when used often? For $25 a piece you would hope Kamui would have a rough estimate prepared for that question.

Would be cool if someone did a how many times chalking gets you to the bottom of a piece of kamui chalk test kinda like the tootsie pop challenge.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have generally only chalked when I need a big draw shot. I will go through a rack once without chalking. I have a cube that has barely been used. I love the stuff.

BillieBilliards

Registered
Chalk is used for more than roughing the tip...

I bought a piece of Kamui Chalk the other night to try and see how I liked it. I decided to give it a test run and went lengthy amounts of time without chalking. Results were I miscued about 5 times in about 7 or 8 hrs worth of pool. After the first couple I got paranoid and started to chalk before any "extreme" draw shot, basically any draw shot that I had to get down on bottom of whitey and put some snap into it. So, those of you that play with Kamui Chalk what have you found is appropriate and safe amount of time to allow to elapse before chalking your tip? I hate to waste precious material but also hate to miscue for my dough while playing pool.

I found the chalk seems to have a nicer feel when the tip is striking the cue ball, and it definitely is cleaner than using regular chalk. I subconsciously chalked over the Kamui chalk with Masters, so I just wiped it all off and put a fresh coat of the Kamui on. Is that standard procedure? Also is climate control important for Kamui Chalk as it feels almost wet and like makeup or something?

Any helpful tips are appreciated in advance.

Hi 1on1...
I've never used Kamui chalk but it sounds like a great product according to the thread. However, in my view, you use chalk for more than preventing miscues. Please check out my article on chalking up at http://billiebilliards.com/pointers006.html

Happy holidays,
BillieBilliards