Practicing with time constraints...

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wondering what most instructors here would recommend when practicing with normal working man's time contraints. I have time to practice for about 2 hours each evening after work. Most time this includes shots from "The pro book", Kinisters workout, or shots I have stuggled with in matches. When practicing I usually pick a few specific shots to practice and work them on each side for about 5- 10 balls apiece. I strive for perfection in practice and this many times means I get focused on one shot for too long and and keep working it and not getting to other shots that need work. My Question: is it better to work on a few shots over a few days until solid and fairly consistent or to work on all shots in a series with a few balls on each and keep moving along? For example, focus on a few shots of Kiniters work out, or to try to get though the whole series then repeat over time? Many times I find myself using half my practice time on one or two shots becoming obsessed, and not getting to other shots. Is it best to keep focused or keep moving along with a little of each shot over time? I feel if I just do each shot only a few times I never really get dialed in, but I do not have time to really work a all shots. I feel like I need to move on. Also, I would like some opinions on pure shot making workouts. I spent some time with CJ Wiley and I told him that I would set up a shot and try to make it 10 times in a row on both side of the table like in Kinisters shot maker's workout. He recommends not to do this as he says it will drive you crazy. He says to make the shot and move on. But never get dialed in on that one shot. What are your opinions about practicing? By the way, I highly recommend CJ for lessons. The things he has shared with me have real practical effect. I have had my most winning year ever after 30 years of playing pool using what he has taught me. I live to far away to get more lessons. In addition, I live in Wyoming and if any instructors find their way ito this area I would be open to a session of lessons. Thanks for any input on efficient practicing.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor but I like this quote:

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

Bruce Lee

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drills serve a purpose for many players, so if you feel they help, then pick one day a week and do drills exclusively.

On the other days, you should play whatever game you like to play. Play against yourself or the ghost and then make notes of your mistakes. After each game try to fix one mistake that you made. If after several tries, you can't fix it, then move on to the next game. You still learned something. Don't allow it to get too painful. You'll come across it again some other time and then maybe you'll be ready to fix it then.

Try to strive to fix one mistake per night. That's all. Just one per night. Some nights you won't be so lucky, but other nights you may be able to fix more than one. It's the best way to improve because you're addressing things that come up in a real game situation that give you trouble.

Each mistake shows up in many different ways, so very often by fixing one mistake, you may be fixing 10 mistakes.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wondering what most instructors here would recommend when practicing with normal working man's time contraints. I have time to practice for about 2 hours each evening after work. Most time this includes shots from "The pro book", Kinisters workout, or shots I have stuggled with in matches. When practicing I usually pick a few specific shots to practice and work them on each side for about 5- 10 balls apiece. I strive for perfection in practice and this many times means I get focused on one shot for too long and and keep working it and not getting to other shots that need work. My Question: is it better to work on a few shots over a few days until solid and fairly consistent or to work on all shots in a series with a few balls on each and keep moving along? For example, focus on a few shots of Kiniters work out, or to try to get though the whole series then repeat over time? Many times I find myself using half my practice time on one or two shots becoming obsessed, and not getting to other shots. Is it best to keep focused or keep moving along with a little of each shot over time? I feel if I just do each shot only a few times I never really get dialed in, but I do not have time to really work a all shots. I feel like I need to move on. Also, I would like some opinions on pure shot making workouts. I spent some time with CJ Wiley and I told him that I would set up a shot and try to make it 10 times in a row on both side of the table like in Kinisters shot maker's workout. He recommends not to do this as he says it will drive you crazy. He says to make the shot and move on. But never get dialed in on that one shot. What are your opinions about practicing? By the way, I highly recommend CJ for lessons. The things he has shared with me have real practical effect. I have had my most winning year ever after 30 years of playing pool using what he has taught me. I live to far away to get more lessons. In addition, I live in Wyoming and if any instructors find their way ito this area I would be open to a session of lessons. Thanks for any input on efficient practicing.
If you have Kinister's 60 minute workout for 9-Ball, stick to it just like he recommends. You can't do much better than that.
I know the original video was done on a cracker box 3 1/2 x 7 table, but that is irrelevant...the principles inculcated therein apply to the big tables as well.
The same shots and position routes will come up over and over and over in 8 Ball and 10 ball also.
Niels Fejin was one of his students. I talked to Niels at a tournament and he said he must have hit that Shot #1 at least 20,000 times. As Kinister says, Shot #1 will create a stroke where there is no stroke. I do it 200 times a day, every day just to stay in tune....there is nothing better for keeping a good pure stroke, in my opinion.
I'm not a teacher/instructor. Just a follower and student of Kinister and Shuffett...the two greatest instructors of our time, in my opinion.
And I appreciate what they have done for this game we love so much. So I am a 'drum beater' for their works. They've both gambled heavy using their own money under pressure conditions with everyone pulling against them. They know what it's all about and they don't dog it in the clutch. Those are the kind of guys I sit up and take notice of when they speak.
You're already way ahead of most people if you've studied under C.J.
It's one thing to look great for exhibitions and do the "railroad shot" in front of a bunch of kids, but when you're faced with either sleeping on clean sheets or in the backseat of the car....well, that's when a man finds out what's on the inside. CJ, Kinister, and Shuffett all KNOW!
Good wishes to you and keep on punching.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Niels was already a world champion before getting some pointers from Bert...it's not like he worked with Kinister and then won everything in the world. Niels is a great player, and a world champion. While he did come over to the USA several years ago, and make money on a road trip across the country, as an unknown, nowadays Niels gambles very little (if at all)...same for the Germans. It may have something to do with the government stipend that Germany and Holland pay their professional pool players.

So gambling is not what makes these players great. Working with any professional instructor can pay great dividends (even for a pro player), if you come in with an open mind, and practice what you're taught, the way you're taught to. Pretty sure Stan Shuffett has NOT "gambled heavy", as you quoted. It goes against his religious principles.

I have no doubt that Stan could step up, as he certainly knows how to play, and has played in a number of high profile events, including the US Open 9-Ball. When Stan called me and asked me to come to KY and take him through my SPF course, to upgrade him to Master Level, I considered it a privilege to share what I know with Stan. We all learn from each other all the time anyway.

So, once again, Mr Lowenstein, your feeble attempts to make snide remarks, and insinuations just make you look like more of a fool...especially since your "hero" called me to teach him years ago. What's that make me...kingmaker? LOL So in the end, if all I am is a blowhard, I must be the best faker in the world...since there are hundreds and hundreds of students who hold high praise for my instruction (and say so publicly). :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

If you have Kinister's 60 minute workout for 9-Ball, stick to it just like he recommends. You can't do much better than that.
I know the original video was done on a cracker box 3 1/2 x 7 table, but that is irrelevant...the principles inculcated therein apply to the big tables as well.
The same shots and position routes will come up over and over and over in 8 Ball and 10 ball also.
Niels Fejin was one of his students. I talked to Niels at a tournament and he said he must have hit that Shot #1 at least 20,000 times. As Kinister says, Shot #1 will create a stroke where there is no stroke. I do it 200 times a day, every day just to stay in tune....there is nothing better for keeping a good pure stroke, in my opinion.
I'm not a teacher/instructor. Just a follower and student of Kinister and Shuffett...the two greatest instructors of our time, in my opinion.
And I appreciate what they have done for this game we love so much. So I am a 'drum beater' for their works. They've both gambled heavy using their own money under pressure conditions with everyone pulling against them. They know what it's all about and they don't dog it in the clutch. Those are the kind of guys I sit up and take notice of when they speak.
You're already way ahead of most people if you've studied under C.J.
It's one thing to look great for exhibitions and do the "railroad shot" in front of a bunch of kids, but when you're faced with either sleeping on clean sheets or in the backseat of the car....well, that's when a man finds out what's on the inside. CJ, Kinister, and Shuffett all KNOW!
Good wishes to you and keep on punching.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mjdoutdoors...The only problem I see with your practice regimen, is that you're not including any drills that fine-tune your stroke process. You're just shooting shots, which is what pro poolplayers who give lessons do...they teach what happens in front of the CB...sadly ignoring what happens behind the CB, to get you to the point where your stroke is accurate and repeatable. In other words...most pro players can only teach you "their" stroke...and not your stroke. That leaves you hanging, wishing you could have that pro's stroke, so you could hit the CB the way they do. The better instructors will help you learn how to define and measure what YOU do, and see if it matches up with what you think you do. That way you can create your own custom stroke process, and learn how to train it into autopilot...or what we call deadstroke or in the zone. Training consciously is best done with written and verbal goals. Only then can that process move from the conscious to the unconscious. Now, I'm not saying this is only way to build an accurate and repeatable stroke...just perhaps the simplest and most accurate method. It certainly takes FAR less time than trying to do the HAMB theory! I'm glad you got a lot out of your time spent with CJ. Hopefully you'll get opportunities to work with some professional PBIA instructors some time in the future, so you can compare philosophies and techniques.

Check your PM's.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor but I like this quote:
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
Bruce Lee
Bingo!
Now there's a post that needs to get some attention from all of us.
Right to the point and spot on.
:thumbup2:

ballston

Registered
Drills serve a purpose for many players, so if you feel they help, then pick one day a week and do drills exclusively.

On the other days, you should play whatever game you like to play. Play against yourself or the ghost and then make notes of your mistakes. After each game try to fix one mistake that you made. If after several tries, you can't fix it, then move on to the next game. You still learned something. Don't allow it to get too painful. You'll come across it again some other time and then maybe you'll be ready to fix it then.

Try to strive to fix one mistake per night. That's all. Just one per night. Some nights you won't be so lucky, but other nights you may be able to fix more than one. It's the best way to improve because you're addressing things that come up in a real game situation that give you trouble.

Each mistake shows up in many different ways, so very often by fixing one mistake, you may be fixing 10 mistakes.

Hello: What would you recommend for someone like me who has much less time for practice--one day a week for a couple of hours? (I do play twice a week in league; I'm a 5 in APA 8 and 9B.)

Thanks in advance.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello: What would you recommend for someone like me who has much less time for practice--one day a week for a couple of hours? (I do play twice a week in league; I'm a 5 in APA 8 and 9B.)

Thanks in advance.

Well, you can make a note of the mistakes that may have cost you in league play and then work on them in practice. Then also spend some time just playing games. You must always remember to enjoy the game. It shouldn't be just work all the time.