Playing cues - How Much $$$?

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I'm just curious...

Where do you guys draw the line on how much you pay for a playing cue, versus a collected cue? I've personally never bought a cue near the $1000 mark, so when I see $5k price tags on these amazing looking cues from big name cue makers, I wonder..."Who is shooting with a $5k stick??". I shoot with all my cues, but that would make me nervous as heck.

Do you draw a line on which cues you will shoot with, or are they all players? I

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I have a high end Scruggs that I am practically afraid to take out of the house. That being said the cue does not get used in just sets in a case at home.

Sort of a waste in all reality but I can't bring myself to use it for fear it will get bumped or dinged while at league play.

Most of my playing cues have been in the 1k range. Some a little less some a little more. I have owned over 100 different cues in my pool career.

Kevin

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin owns the most incredible Scruggs cue and it uses a great design that's my favorite.
If I ever were in your neck of the woods. I'd sure try to stop by and see if I could acquire it.
It is just a Scruggs cue that mesmerizes you at first glance & undoubtedly is one of the best.

The most expensive cue I own is my EP cue which is worth a few pennies but it's also a player.
Every cue I own I buy to play with and if I am not going to play with the cue, I don't even want it.
That would be ;like owning a collectible '68 Shelby Mustang King Cobra and just looking at it.
That car was built to be driven & if I owned one, it would be.... the same applies to my pool cues.

Matt B.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
My Josey ran around a grand. Will be playing with it in a few hours..

Nonyamuff

Always behind the 8-ball
Silver Member
My Joe Childs was $800 when I had it made in 98, but it was bought to be my player. My Bludworth I paid about $1200...I don't play with it as much as it is in excellent condition and scared I'm going to rough it up.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I'm just curious...

Where do you guys draw the line on how much you pay for a playing cue, versus a collected cue? I've personally never bought a cue near the $1000 mark, so when I see $5k price tags on these amazing looking cues from big name cue makers, I wonder..."Who is shooting with a $5k stick??". I shoot with all my cues, but that would make me nervous as heck.

Do you draw a line on which cues you will shoot with, or are they all players?

I would shoot (at home) with any cue that I owned regardless of price, but I would be a little nervous taking a cue worth over $1K to a pool room.

But the "$5K" figure is all relative, if we had say a 65 conv mustang worth $25K, would we be afraid to drive it? probably not.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would shoot (at home) with any cue that I owned regardless of price, but I would be a little nervous taking a cue worth over $1K to a pool room.

But the "$5K" figure is all relative, if we had say a 65 conv mustang worth $25K, would we be afraid to drive it? probably not.

Very true about leaving a cue unattended in a poolroom. I play an entry level Joss and have no problem with leaving it on the table and walking away. I have a custom on order that I plan to use as a player. I'll have a little trouble leaving that stick unattended.

Very timely thread. Thanks to the OP.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Just because people own a $100,000 sport car doesn't mean he is a good racer. Big price cues won't make you a better player. Johnnyt

Awizzzy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin owns the most incredible Scruggs cue and it uses a great design that's my favorite.
If I ever were in your neck of the woods. I'd sure try to stop by and see if I could acquire it.
It is just a Scruggs cue that mesmerizes you at first glance & undoubtedly is one of the best.

The most expensive cue I own is my EP cue which is worth a few pennies but it's also a player.
Every cue I own I buy to play with and if I am not going to play with the cue, I don't even want it.
That would be ;like owning a collectible '68 Shelby Mustang King Cobra and just looking at it.
That car was built to be driven & if I owned one, it would be.... the same applies to my pool cues.

Matt B.

PIcs or it didn't happen.... lol :wink:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My playing cue was a Ned Morris valued about 1k, I play with it, and in my main pool hall leave it at the table as long as other regulars are around. I have found it sitting in the house cue racks a few times when the staff cleans up and thinks it's a house cue because it's a darker color and no inlays past the points LOL My current playing cue is about a $300 local maker custom I just started using about a month ago so I guess I have a "collection" now vs just a playing cue, but I do not feel any less or more worried about this $300 cue being stolen than I do my $1,000 cue. Neither is fancy enough to attract attention past someone that just wants to steal something in general.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just because people own a $100,000 sport car doesn't mean he is a good racer. Big price cues won't make you a better player. Johnnyt

I don't think that was the point of the post but rather what price/collectible value will make you worry about using it as a player vs just having it in display. There are 20 other posts about "indian/arrow" LOL

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I have played with all kinds of cues expensive and inexpensive. I go with how it plays, not by a name or other crap. I have owned a $5k custom Joss and a $3500 Richard Black. My player was a Predator 8K4 with a Vantage shaft, I now use a Predator SP2REV02 that cost around $900... It is the best playing cue I have ever owned.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I don't think there's a solid answer. In my experience it's quite personal and individual. Either you enjoy high end cues & put value in it, or you don't. I haven't seen where social status or wealth correlate to the cue a guy has. The one fault I have noticed is that people tend to think there's a difference between collectible cues and playing cues. There's not. A guy with a $20K Gus will play the hell out of it just as much as he does a $200 sneaky. When people ask me this question, I give them a practical answer. Don't own a cue you can't play with, and don't play with a cue you can't afford to lose or break.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't own a cue over $200.I worry that the bar fools will steal it or knock it on the floor.

MikieG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a C21 that i got from Jamie Cernicka at the factory last year. It is absolutely perfect with two matching I2 shafts. It has been said that it is the #1 McDermott in the world.
I only take it out to play when tbere is carpet on the floor of where i am playing. Scared to death to drop it.
Any cue i have i value and therefore NEVER leave it ubattended on the table. Its always in my hands even at the urinal (oh boy, the jokes that opens up!). Even my Dufferin sneaky pete.
I am currently working on a lockable leash that not only locks the Instroke case to a chair or table, but also locks the case closed.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Anytime I get something new no matter the price I'll bring it to the bar to test out. I have no fear in anyone stealing it as it's the same people every week. Plus we all look out for each other.

Of course I'm scared of knocking it over or bumping into something but I don't buy them to just sit around

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Good insight and practical advice!

I don't think there's a solid answer. In my experience it's quite personal and individual. Either you enjoy high end cues & put value in it, or you don't. I haven't seen where social status or wealth correlate to the cue a guy has. The one fault I have noticed is that people tend to think there's a difference between collectible cues and playing cues. There's not. A guy with a $20K Gus will play the hell out of it just as much as he does a $200 sneaky. When people ask me this question, I give them a practical answer. Don't own a cue you can't play with, and don't play with a cue you can't afford to lose or break.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Play them all and carry it to the bathroom with me no matter the cost, this includes cues in the 10k range. Will have a cue in the future probably in the 30- 40k range and you can bet all you got cause it will get played.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Only have 2 worth over 1k .. but very VERY careful about where they go.

For local and league?
Used to be $500 ... but my $600 Joss ended up being my "go to" stick.

Places I don't know
$40 - $100