Brunswick Metro Feather Strips Too Small

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
A friend has 13 Brunswick Metros in his pool room and all of them have loose feather strips. Is that a known problem with those tables?

The fix up to now has been duct tape in the groove or on the strips. Is one way better than the other? There seems to be a few more problems with tape on the strips.

I wonder if it's worth the trouble to replace the strips. Will the same problem eventually return (maybe because they shrink over time)?

Thanks,

pj
chgo

rattletrap

I had some feather strips fall apart during removal and just made new ones out of some poplar stock on a little table saw. Easy enough to custom fit them to the rail.

JC

Coos Cues
I've seen feather strips fit loose when changing to another type of cloth that's a bit thinner than what was on there.

Just make some new ones. Once you have a table saw set up to cut the first one to the proper width the next 50 spit out like a play dough machine. I have made them out of douglas fir and pine 2x4 scraps and they work just fine. Doesn't have to be poplar.

JC

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I've seen feather strips fit loose when changing to another type of cloth that's a bit thinner than what was on there.

Just make some new ones. Once you have a table saw set up to cut the first one to the proper width the next 50 spit out like a play dough machine. I have made them out of douglas fir and pine 2x4 scraps and they work just fine. Doesn't have to be poplar.

JC

Bass Wood is the standard, I suppose those types would work too! :)

Bass Wood is the standard, I suppose those types would work too! :)

Bass wood is not the standard...they use bass wood so the the feather strip will fit big and crush down to fit tight.
The only problem is everyone breaks when you pull them out.
Fit the poplar feather strip.....you can buy them at championship for like 15 a set.

I use them all the time when I extend rail work I get in....I don’t do quick fix for money now. I do the right job every time....all the time.

Mark Gregory

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Bass wood is not the standard...they use bass wood so the the feather strip will fit big and crush down to fit tight.
Fit the poplar feather strip.....you can buy them at championship for like 15 a set.

I use them all the time when I extend rail work I get in....I don’t do quick fix for money now. I do the right job every time....all the time.

Mark Gregory

Typed in Bass wood feather strips into google and :

http://www.muellers.com/SearchResult.aspx?searchPhrase=bass wood feather strips

https://www.thompsonsportinggoods.com/product/bass-wood-feather-strips/

https://www.bestbilliards.com/1004.cfm?prodid=4837

https://www.imperialusa.com/imperial-wood-feather-strips-set-of-6.html

I happen to use the Muellers brand. They are the standard size 1/4"x 5/16. I am surprised you dont make your own!

Happy you are feeling better!

Trent from Toledo

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Like Mark said, basswood is junk wood for featherstrips

They are the same size as any others 1/4"x 5/16" , now one might break more than the other, but, they both will do the exact same job.

I will try out the poplar ones and see how they work!

Trent

P.s. Championship sells theirs for $12 for 2 sets, just looked them up in the dealers price sheet.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
LOL, I have not found that to be the case.

I have pulled the poplar ones out in pieces as well. :)

Make me some of yours ! LOL :)

Trent

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

Mark Gregory

Update:

Hmm, Bill Dunne from Championship says theirs are made of "PINE" :thumbup:

Trent from Toledo