Thinking of selling a Gilbert and have questions about 5/16-14 versus 3/8-10 joints

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello guys, I am contemplating selling my Gilbert cue and have a few questions so I can get some opinions out there.

I have owned the cue for about 5 years and have had minimal playing time with it. I grew up playing with an older Adams cue that was a Balabushka look a like and has the 5/16-14 joint. When I first got the Gilbert I realized there would be an adjustment period to a new cue, but when I pick it up it just doesn't hit as well as my older Adams cue (maybe I just suck more these days). The Gilbert has a 3/8-10 joint and I am wondering if it is at all possible that the cue hit feels different based on the joint?

Also, I wonder if over time the 3/8-10 joint will not be as good because it screws straight into wood on the shaft. It would seem that after thousands of times of taking the cue apart that the wooden thread inside the shaft would loosen or expand based on the constant screwing and unscrewing.

Does anyone have any real thoughts on these two joint differences and has anyone else experienced a different hit or feel with these two joints. The 5/16-14 just feels crisp and sharp on the Adams but on the Gilbert the 3/8-10 feels damp and thuddish. That's the best I can explain it. Lol

I am thinking of getting into a Tascarella and I found one in the style I like but it has a 3/8-10 joint. I would have to order direct from Pete to get one in the style I like but with a 5/16-14 joint. Which means over a year wait. By the way I saw a post from several years ago where a guy sold the exact Tascarella I am looking for, the Mosconi/Balabushka tribute. Such a beauty and classic looking to me.

Anyway if anyone has some opinions about the joints that would be great!

Thanks

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There will be people who will tell you that there is no difference in the "feel" between the two joints, but I think otherwise.

I prefer the 5/16-14.

I remember hearing Rodney Morris say that he can tell the difference, too, and he preferred the 5/16-14..

I have cues with both joints and I think the 5/16-14 hits a bitter firmer, or stiffer. Most cues with the 5/16-14 pin have steel joints and most 3/8-10 use joints other than steel. I think that plays a major factor.

I don't necessarily think either one of them hit any "better"...they just hit "different".

That is my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

And FWIW, one of my cues is an ADAM Hall of Fame model (like the Balabushka, but without the logo).

Last edited:

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi HawaiinEye thanks for the input. I agree they hit different, and thanks for saying that because I was starting to think it was all in my mind like a psychological block or something lol.

I'll post some pics of the Adams when I get a chance, as well as the Gilbert to see if anyone is interested.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
99% of players B+ and better won't be able to tell what pin the cue uses while the cue is assembled.

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Cornerman, I agree. No issues at all going from Gilbert to Tascarella. Just going to cost more $$$

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the Radial pin to the 5/16. The 3/8-10 is close to the radial so that’s my second choice.

If you want to experiment with a bunch of different low deflection shafts there are more choices of 5/16-14 shafts and they are also cheaper to buy.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gilbert

I own and shoot with an older Gilbert with a 5/16 by 14 pin with SS joint and It plays very good. I prefer that joint type. I have tried others but always go back. I am sure i could adjust to something else but why fix it if its not broke?

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer your question; Yes, the joint will have some effect on the way a cue plays.

This is one of those questions that have been discussed an un-godly amount of times, both here and everywhere else pool is played. And, the options vary wildly.

IMO the joint isn’t the biggest factor in the way a cue plays, I believe it is mostly in the shaft (taper, material, ferrule, tip). That’s not to say everything else doesn’t play some part too, the way a butt is assembled, the woods used, glue/epoxy used, butt cap, basically everything that is in the cue will have some effect.

I have a few cues, my two main players are from different makers (although one taught the other), one is a 3/8x10 the other is 5/16x14, and to me, they both play almost identical, I can switch them out without any issues.

I say try the Tasc, if you don’t like it, doubt you will have very much of an issue selling it.
I bought and sold countless cues until I found a maker/shaft taper that play the best for me.

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the big pin. Took me a couple dozen cues to figure It out. I like the feedback of 3/8x10. I have a few customs but I haven’t touched them since I bought a rosewood schmelke. Lol

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with a 3/8-10 for years. Thought I wouldn't like playing a steel joint cue. I had -R- build me a Titlist with a 5/16-14 joint anyway. Been playing with it every day for 4 years now. No plans to go back. That is all.

qexpert_101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with a 3/8-10 for years. Thought I wouldn't like playing a steel joint cue. I had -R- build me a Titlist with a 5/16-14 joint anyway. Been playing with it every day for 4 years now. No plans to go back. That is all.

Jerry -R- built me a 3/8-10 cue with titanum pin and it plays lights out.

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some really good feedback here thanks guys! As much as I would love to get the Tascarella with the 3/8-10 joint I think I'll wait and order one with the 5/16-14 from him directly. I think for some reason I can feel the difference between the two joints and if I am getting a new cue I'll stick to the 5/16-14. Thanks again for all the helpful comments and when I get the Tascarella I'll be posting some pics!

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I will be selling the Gilbert then so I'll make a new post in the for sale section.

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some pics of the Tascarella I want to have made.

Attachments

• tm6.jpg
    tm6.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 171
  • tm7.jpg
    tm7.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 173

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Line up 100 cues with the 5 or so of the most popular pins and joint materials. then get 100 of the most knowledgeable pool cue guys on the planet, let 'em play all day or all weekend.
They'll have about as much chance of calling it correctly as flipping a coin.
If test went for 2 days, at end of 1st day put different tips on each cue, it'll phu(k the guys all the way up, some would prolly just give up pool for life.
Blind test has already been done, it was funny! lol

Last edited:

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha good point!
Just thought of something: are there 3/8-10 shafts that have metal threads inside? In other words, are there 3/8-10 shafts with female threads inside the shaft part that fit into the 3/8-10 male pin on the butt.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some really good feedback here thanks guys! As much as I would love to get the Tascarella with the 3/8-10 joint I think I'll wait and order one with the 5/16-14 from him directly. I think for some reason I can feel the difference between the two joints and if I am getting a new cue I'll stick to the 5/16-14. Thanks again for all the helpful comments and when I get the Tascarella I'll be posting some pics!

I owe you a little more detail on my experience. I actually played with a Schuler for a couple of decades. When I started buying other cues, I started with big pin, flat face because those seemed to be quieter, less vibration at the joint. The Gilbert fit me really nicely, so I ending up using that full time for a few years, but always going back to the Schuler as the Schuler for me provides the most muted hit.

Last year, I got my Tascarella. I thought I’d get it just to add to the collection, but she I too it out, and felt that old-school hit , and I really enjoyed it and have kept it in the bag for all this time.

Yes, they feel different. But the balance and taper and weight isn’t much different than my Gilbert, so the change is easy. Every cue maker is different. Some 5/16-14 SS joints are very muted while others have a serious “toink” to them. When I do the Keith Dipsy Doodle or the Efren Drop In, the Tascarella joint makes that sound as if I miscued. You old-school SS joint players know the sound.

Some big flat-faced sound like crap in my hands, while others feel terrific. It’s not just the joint.

So my answer, as someone who actually shoots with the same two makers as your asking about, you’re not going to have an issue with switching from the Gilbert to the Tascarella just because of the joint, unless you can’t fade the sound on the Efren Drop ( slow, high spin-speed ration, almost dropping the cue into the shot).

You didn’t ask about the Squirt, so that’s a different discussion, but they’re about the same if you have about the same diameter.

Freddie <~~~ wants a few more Tascarellas