Just curious

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I continue to be stunned by the ability of some makers to use "silver" as a veneer material as well as for inlays. My assumption (dangerous) is that the silver is annealed to make it dead soft. What I can't wrap my head around is how there are no lines (miters) at the tips of the points. This confuses me because in many, many hours of searching here and elsewhere, I can't figure out how you could have a seamless veneer without it being cast.

Does anyone have a direction that I can start looking in to do some research?

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No seam would suggest it was cut out of a slab like a normal inlay

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This might help. About 1.40 minutes in. I'm sure there's more methods.
https://youtu.be/OwqgeJLCc0A

So just as a "For Instance." This beautiful James White was put up in the gallery maybe a few days ago. I'm not a huge "tuxedo cue" fan but the silver "veneer" really strikes me as something I would like to know more about. If it's done by CNC then great...mystery solved...and it very well may be. Something just makes me feel like it's not and that's driving me batty.
picture.php

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Use pure soft silver. The seams just blend together. This is my second attempt at using silver. With a little practice I hope to get it seamless.

Larry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So just as a "For Instance." This beautiful James White was put up in the gallery maybe a few days ago. I'm not a huge "tuxedo cue" fan but the silver "veneer" really strikes me as something I would like to know more about. If it's done by CNC then great...mystery solved...and it very well may be. Something just makes me feel like it's not and that's driving me batty.
picture.php

Mr. White is just on another level and always has been. The man is incredible.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
picture.php

It might be easier to take a guess at how it was done if we could see the whole points.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I continue to be stunned by the ability of some makers to use "silver" as a veneer material as well as for inlays. My assumption (dangerous) is that the silver is annealed to make it dead soft. What I can't wrap my head around is how there are no lines (miters) at the tips of the points. This confuses me because in many, many hours of searching here and elsewhere, I can't figure out how you could have a seamless veneer without it being cast.

Does anyone have a direction that I can start looking in to do some research?
Can you show a picture of silver points with sharp points and no seem?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But the OP is talking about points with no seam....not inlays.
Dave

Most points are inlays of some type. The full splice is one exception. Inlays can have a rounded bottoms or a flat bottoms or a sharp angled bottoms like v-points have. Some can even have a combination of sharp and flat and create some things that look impossible to build.