3/8 x 10 and Extension?

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see that McDermott uses 3/8 x 10 joints and makes a (factory) extension for their cues, but the extension is pretty heavy. Are there any other production cue makers that have these joints and their own butt end extension?

The reason that the joints are important is that I already have a number of 3/8 x 10 shafts.

Clarification: Not looking for the Balance-Rite type extension that fits between the butt and shaft, but rather an extension that screws into the bottom of the butt - the type becoming more popular with pros.

Last edited:

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mention both the 3/8x10 joint size and the term "butt end" so I'm not certain which extension you're after. But if you're talking about the 4" extension that goes between the shaft and the butt, be aware that the genuine McDermott model's threads did not fit properly on any of my 3 recent production McDermott cues. It would have literally taken a pair of vise grips to screw it down the last 1/2". The Balance Rite 4" 3/8x10 extension on the other hand fits both the McDermott shaft and butts perfectly.

I've had this problem any time I've tried to swap one recent McDermott shaft for another. It's as if they must get their joint hardware from more than one supplier and while they're all 3/8x10 they're slightly different. I'm guessing this is why you have to send the butt in to get a shaft made. It's irritating.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see that McDermott uses 3/8 x 10 joints and makes a (factory) extension for their cues, but the extension is pretty heavy. Are there any other production cue makers that have these joints and their own butt end extension?

The reason that the joints are important is that I already have a number of 3/8 x 10 shafts.

Clarification: Not looking for the Balance-Rite type extension that fits between the butt and shaft, but rather an extension that screws into the bottom of the butt - the type becoming more popular with pros.

Like a lot of cue makers, McDermott "sucks a55" when it comes to any "add-on" that did not come with a particular cue when originally purchased.

I'm not sure why but, you would think they would have their chit together by now.

On the other hand, pechauer cues has EVERYTHING down cold. They, like a few other companies, make McDermott cue quality "look and play like chit".

BTW:

You worded your post ALTOGETHER wrong. You made it sound like your interested in an extension with 3/8 x10 thread and say the reason is because of the shafts..... which has NOTHING to do with what or how a butt extension is made.

Butt and/or mid-cue extensions are very easy to find from production and custom makers.

Also, if weight is an issue, well, a private custom maker is a WAY better option.

Brent Romine of Bromine cues makes, what I consider some of the best butt extensions on the market and he does it at a very reasonable price point. Not to mention, he gets things done and out on time and like pechauer, BRomine cues does what he says even if it ends up costing him in the end.......VERY hard to find a cue maker with his kind of integrity.

czechrase

Registered
Did you send in you Butt and shaft to fit properly? I just bought an I2 and it sits cockeyed... So pissed about it.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you send in you Butt and shaft to fit properly? I just bought an I2 and it sits cockeyed... So pissed about it.

McDermott doesn't have the want to/knowledge or whatever it takes to make an extension that looks, fits and plays well ......unless you purchase a butt, shaft and extension ALL at the same time.

You buy a cue butt and shaft today and then order an extension from them the very next day....lol....when you do get it, it will fit / play like booboo-the-fool made it.

But, don't worry, they will charge you plenty, regardless of how crappy their equipment has become.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Tiger.

Freddie <~~~ with caveats

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Azb member newsheriffintown is the person to custom make an extension for you.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I sent my cue to Diveney and he thread the butt to accommodate the mezz x bumper and I bought a cheap extension on ebay that fits. Just my experience.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sent my cue to Diveney and he thread the butt to accommodate the mezz x bumper and I bought a cheap extension on ebay that fits. Just my experience.

I imagine that the butt was already drilled & threaded for the original bumper. Is that the case? And did he rethread it somehow?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't see where Tiger makes cues with a 3/8x10 joint. Shafts yes, butts, no. Am I missing something?

I guess they don’t offer 3/8-10 on their own cues.

I havr about 5 or 7 extensions on different cues. The Tiger extension fits on a wide range. The Migliore adapters (need a 3/8-16 thread) is IMO the best.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A number of makers make butt extensions for their cues. Joss does.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I imagine that the butt was already drilled & threaded for the original bumper. Is that the case? And did he rethread it somehow?

I’m sure he could easily handle a cue that already had a bumper - just plug it with wood and re thread for new bumper. But in my case, I had a bumperless butt.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The easy solution for rear extension is to have your cue guy make one that works with your existing cue.
Example.
McDermott, drill and tap 1/4x20 into your existing weight bolt. Blow a hole thru your existing bumper so it stays in place. Done! If it screws into wood, put a phenolic insert so it doesn't strip out. Bare wood can.
Same can be said for just about any cue. What may change but only a little is whether you use the extension full time or just for long shots. Make them out of light wood, dye them or keep them natural. I do these for the locals, I only do these for the locals.

IMG_20190329_085042.jpg
IMG_20190329_084921.jpg
IMG_20190329_085439.jpg

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott doesn't have the want to/knowledge or whatever it takes to make an extension that looks, fits and plays well ......unless you purchase a butt, shaft and extension ALL at the same time.

You buy a cue butt and shaft today and then order an extension from them the very next day....lol....when you do get it, it will fit / play like booboo-the-fool made it.

But, don't worry, they will charge you plenty, regardless of how crappy their equipment has become.

Sounds like my experience with McDermott.
Not a fan myself