Stream Question

Pool Room streaming, what is your requirement?

• Video ONLY, no Chat or Commentary

Votes: 30 43.5%
  • Must have Commentary

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • Must have Chat

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Must have Chat and Commetary

Votes: 11 15.9%

• Total voters

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I was 2 months old so that explains me not remembering it, lol. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Some of us know that we're old. We don't need salt in the wound comments like this to remind us, sheesh! :eek:

As to the original post, yes I would and have watched without both. I prefer to go full screen & don't chat but I do like being able to get a score check through chat or announcers. If you can have someone updating scores on the stream page, then I think it would work.

We're all pool junkies so of course we'll watch. Does a drug junkie turn down drugs, esp free drugs?? :p

brophog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I watch sports that aren't that popular in the states on streams online, often in languages I don't begin to understand...........

.........and I still must have the sound on. :)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would turn on camera audio

Viewers can always mute the sound if it is annoying but I and I think most people get into the match more if they can hear the normal table noises. Adds another dimension.

Like most, I like good commentary, can certainly live without it. I rarely leave a chat window open, just not a chat kind of guy.

Hu

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
The current thought is to permently mount 2 or 3 cameras and run the 'steaming' application so that player's names and scores can be updated. Hopfully a bracket section can be added or displayed every so often.

I don't want to have to set up a booth and have commentary. This will be a one man show. TD, Ref, table cleaner, table assignments and bracket caretaker. Besides, I don't have a voice for radio.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Having sound is preferred over "mandatory commentary"

The current thought is to permently mount 2 or 3 cameras and run the 'steaming' application so that player's names and scores can be updated. Hopfully a bracket section can be added or displayed every so often.

I don't want to have to set up a booth and have commentary. This will be a one man show. TD, Ref, table cleaner, table assignments and bracket caretaker. Besides, I don't have a voice for radio.

I don't think that would be a problem, Tom (the lack of commentary, that is). What I think is important is what Hu and Eric mentioned -- at least having sound, so that viewers can hear the ambiance of the match, the room, the players, etc. Put it this way -- if the viewer doesn't want the sound, it's easy to mute it. But at least it's there for those that want it. Having no sound might be more of a detraction than no commentary/chat, though.

I personally like to watch matches, watch players, etc. For me, commentary is not mandatory. And, to be honest, as one other poster mentioned, if there needs to be commentary, it *better* be good commentary (i.e. Danny D. or Billy I. speed). Not some local-yocal who wants to get on the sound box and primp his/her feathers by yapping about everything *except* the match being viewed/commentated upon. Commentary should add value to the match, not be a "mandatory check-box" that has to "be filled with a warm body that makes noise." For that matter, I can eat a plate of broccoli, a couple Slim Jims, down a pint of Guinness, and make "warm body noises" that equal the value offered by some of these local-yocal "commentators."

If you put it up, Tom, I'll watch it (and enjoy it),
-Sean

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
I don't think that would be a problem, Tom (the lack of commentary, that is). What I think is important is what Hu and Eric mentioned -- at least having sound, so that viewers can hear the ambiance of the match, the room, the players, etc. Put it this way -- if the viewer doesn't want the sound, it's easy to mute it. But at least it's there for those that want it. Having no sound might be more of a detraction than no commentary/chat, though.

-Sean

I would most certainly watch a match without commentary or chat. Chat is not required at all for me. Commentators are very nice, especially when you have pros in the booth.

Like a few of you guys already mentioned, it is very important to have the audio going, so you can hear the balls and as Sean explained succinctly, to hear the ambiance of the room.

I really don't think I could watch a match with no sound at all. I would feel too detached.:)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kind of like, sitting in the chair and watching your opponent run out... about all you can do is an occasional 'Tap, Tap, Tap':wink:

Or, in some cases, "tap tap tap" with the mouse pointer against the "increase volume" button on the live stream player, to no avail, feeling just as helpless. And then jumping out of your seat when, at now maximum volume, your email software indicates a new email arrived with its celebratory sound. :D

-Sean

pixel8tr

Registered
That is the way I watch most of them. No commentary at all. My years of experience enable me to tell if a ball goes into the pocket or not. The commentary, especially with 9 and 10-ball usually goes like this: " Well Danny, he has just made a good shot on the three. Now, he'll try to pocket the four and get position on the orange five!" Gee, what insight. I realize that some people enjoy or need the commentary, but I'm glad I have a mute button. The English snooker commentators are interesting to listen to, as they are much quicker to give criticism when it is called for.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like commentary when it's someone like Billy I. In my opinion, he does the best job of anyone around the globe.

I learn everytime I watch a match he commentates.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I want it all!

I like commentary...and it can feed off the chat.
With guest commentating some needed skills can be discovered....
Commentating and chat can also enhance sponsorship...plugs.

And for those who don't want one or the other....
...you have full screen and volume control