Cue centered between both eyes

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Too much center aiming may lead to other issues down the road.

image-jpeg.812267

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ocular dominance has very little to do with the vision center position.
Dave, this statement is counterintuitive to me. Don't players who favor one side for stick placement usually favor their dominant eye side (not necessarily under their dominant eye, but closer to it)? That would mean to me that eye dominance plays a significant role for many - although I agree it might be misleading to say it always does.

Of course, I'm going by what I've heard casually, not any careful measure...
My statement is based on the fact that many (if not most) players play best with their cue under their nose and chin, exactly between their eyes. And many (if not most) of these players have a "dominant eye."

On a personal note, my right eye is fairly strongly dominant, and I used to play with my cue closer to my right eye; but after very careful drilling and fiddling with my stance, I learned that I visualize shots of all distances and angles much better with the cue centered between my eyes, with the eyes level, and with my face as square as possible to the shot.

Some people with a dominant eye even play with the cue closer to their opposite eye. And some people with an extremely strong dominant eye (or with no or little vision in the other eye) do play better with the cue directly under the dominant eye.

Regardless, one should not consider "dominant eye" when finding one's personal vision center position; otherwise, one might be mislead or influenced by the information.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been watching a lot of Ray Martin videos. Attended a lot of his clinics, live, as far back as 25 years ago. Always admired his game.
He stands up there with that head tilted to the side in that cockeyed angle of his and the balls fly right into the hole..over and over and over.
What would be your comments on this ocular dominance thing as it relates to his way of shooting?
Thank you.
With enough repetition, one can learn to pocket balls with any head position. However, there are advantages (e.g., quicker learning and better effectiveness at all distances and angles) to having your head in your personal vision center position with your face as square to the shot as possible and with your eyes as level as possible.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Finding my own best head position was made harder by my stance - the most comfortable position for my stroke was too far to my dominant eye side for perfect visual alignment. It took me a long time to realize it, and more time to figure out the stance adjustment that worked best, and then more time (ongoing) to groove it.

I mention this to point out that locating your best head position is the crucial step, but it might not be the only one.

pj
chgo

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With enough repetition, one can learn to pocket balls with any head position. However, there are advantages (e.g., quicker learning and better effectiveness at all distances and angles) to having your head in your personal vision center position with your face as square to the shot as possible and with your eyes as level as possible.

Regards,
Dave

I don't disagree with the theory, but I have a hard time doing that and finding a comfortable way to stroke the cue along or parallel to the line of aim. Even the guy in your avatar looks like he has an alignment issue. How is this done without contorting oneself so much that it creates fatigue or issues later in life when the body is less flexible?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't disagree with the theory, but I have a hard time doing that and finding a comfortable way to stroke the cue along or parallel to the line of aim. Even the guy in your avatar looks like he has an alignment issue. How is this done without contorting oneself so much that it creates fatigue or issues later in life when the body is less flexible?
I use “as possible” in my sentences implying you should just do the best you can.

I had to make changes in my stance to get my head in a better position. A good way to do this is to stand in front of a mirror with your eyes level and face square, and get down into you stance, trying to keep your head facing the mirror the same way, dancing your feet and hips around until you find a stance that allows you to get your head as close as possible to the ideal place without too much discomfort.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your vision center is established while in the standing position. Once established the eyes/head never leave this line of site.

This is a good starting point to align your body comfortably with the shot line. Don't be concerned where the cue ends up under your eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBFRln32uo&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPn3Wzp4NT8&t=9s

Once down into the shooting position there may be small aiming adjustments made to send the cue ball where you want it to go.

John :)

Last edited: