No US Open 14.1 at BCAPL?

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
I had heard rumors that the 2013 BCAPL would hold the first US Open 14.1 in a long, long while. At this point, the rumor appears to be untrue; according to the mass email I just received, they've decided to add an 8-ball tournament to the pro lineup. Nothing about 14.1.

Guess we'll have to wait a little longer.

- Steve

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Steve, I got the same email. I wonder if maybe they will do it at a different time next year. They already have the One Pocket and 10 Ball events during that time. While it sure would be a good time to do it with so many players already there, perhaps a fourth event is just too much if they've added 8 Ball now. The league tournament only runs two weeks though that shouldn't matter since not many of the league players seem to want to walk down the hall to support the pro events. Maybe the 8 Ball event will generate more interest.

The National BCAPL tournament is moving to July for 2013. I'm assuming the pro events will be held in conjunction with this. Interestingly, the Dragon 14.1 event is also in July, or at least was this year. Maybe that has something to do with it as well.

I don't see either an 8 Ball or 14.1 Open currently on the list of events on the website, but they don't have any 2013 events listed yet.

Last edited:

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had heard rumors that the 2013 BCAPL would hold the first US Open 14.1 in a long, long while. At this point, the rumor appears to be untrue; according to the mass email I just received, they've decided to add an 8-ball tournament to the pro lineup. Nothing about 14.1.

Guess we'll have to wait a little longer.

- Steve

I was disappointed to see this as well as I had also heard the rumors of a US Open 14.1 at the BCAPL in July 2013.

Ray

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The league tournament only runs two weeks though that shouldn't matter since not many of the league players seem to want to walk down the hall to support the pro events. Maybe the 8 Ball event will generate more interest.
The sad fact is that most league players don't know what straight pool is. They do know 8-ball and that is what they can relate to and what they would support most.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The sad fact is that most league players don't know what straight pool is. They do know 8-ball and that is what they can relate to and what they would support most.

I hope you are right and I agree that 8 Ball indeed has the best chance, but my comment wasn't about straight pool in particular but rather my experience with the 10 Ball and One Pocket events that have been played during the BCAPL Nationals. Considering the thousands of supposedly serious players that are literally down the hall from the professional event very few spring for the $30-$40 day pass to watch the pros play. Most of them probably at least know what 10 Ball is.

Keep in mind also that they have been able to watch the grand masters division for free, and the stream of the pro events the last couple of years have been free in the rooms for players staying at the venue.

In any case, CSI is giving free general admission to all BCAPL members for the pro events next year. So I would expect pretty good crowds. If free doesn't bring them in, nothing will.

Steve, it occurs to me that the free admission policy for next year may have something to do with not including the 14.1 event.

Last edited:

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you are right and I agree that 8 Ball indeed has the best chance, but my comment wasn't about straight pool in particular but rather my experience with the 10 Ball and One Pocket events that have been played during the BCAPL Nationals. Considering the thousands of supposedly serious players that are literally down the hall from the professional event very few spring for the $30-$40 day pass to watch the pros play. Most of them probably at least know what 10 Ball is.

Keep in mind also that they have been able to watch the grand masters division for free, and the stream of the pro events the last couple of years have been free in the rooms for players staying at the venue.

In any case, CSI is giving free general admission to all BCAPL members for the pro events next year. So I would expect pretty good crowds. If free doesn't bring them in, nothing will.

Steve, it occurs to me that the free admission policy for next year may have something to do with not including the 14.1 event.

In my experience, league players do not necessarily follow pro pool. Many of them are much more interested in watching the other league players or just going to the bar. Most of them don't even know the names of more than a few pro players and wouldn't recognize them if they bumped into them. That is not to say none of them are interested in the pros but the percentage is small. Hopefully, the free admission will get enough of them interested enough to fill the seats in the pro arena.