Weird aiming trick

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So recently I learned a technique for aligning shots and I am not sure if I believe that it works. Because of the way our vision works if you leave your stick on the table and stare at it for about 20 seconds it will stay in your vision after you move the stick as a straight line. Supposedly you can then use that line to line up a shot and know that it will be perfectly straight.

My problem with this is that as you shift you are moving the line with your eyes. I can see how this would be useful for banking with a little math but only in very specific instances. Is this something anyone else has ever heard of before? Is this a secret technique that actually works?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Well, not trying to make a funny on ya, but then again, maybe.

That sounds a a lot like the old Hypnotize the Chicken trick. we would amaze the city folk with this one.

Ya hold a chickens head and neck down and stroke a piece of stick in front of their eyes
for 10 seconds or more.

Let up on the chickens neck and they lay there staring straight ahead and not moving for a bit.

Trust me, I have tried this trick on women before and it doesn't work. Damn.

Now, if one were to stroke a wad on one hundreds in the same fashion, it would probably work.

Zpele, you try this too many times in one game and someone gonna hit you on the Pumpkin with a Shot Clock.

It may work in the sense that you would put your opponent to sleep.

Last edited:

s0lidz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd fall asleep in the chair faster than Earl Strickland if you busted out that technique on me.

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting...

... as an opponent I would try to change your cue into one with a big wobble - hoping, that you're playing curve balls with that one on every shot! :p

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Lol I agree and it's not a technique I would ever use but I'm wondering if it's even close to valid. I have my doubts.

I been using it for years and it does work quite well....when your normal aiming won't do the trick for whatever reason.

I use it as a way to get my aiming back. It can be very helpful to actually physically see the shot line.

I use it mostly for the travel of the object ball's line, but I've also used it for the cueball's travel line.

It works really, really well for Persons like me who have bad eyes.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Btw, you don't have to lay your cue down (a foul) and it doesn't take 20 seconds. With a little practice, a player can see the line in less than 5 seconds.

I just place the tip where the ghost ball touches the cloth, hold the cue along the OB's shot line, and then stare at the cue for a few seconds, look up to the shot line and presto!, there is the line, all laid out for me to use.

Jeff Livingston

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I often place the cue over the OB to the rail diamond to calculate bank angles. I have used this for years and have found that the stick often changes the place I was going to hit the rail and it is usually better than my original guess.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So recently I learned a technique for aligning shots and I am not sure if I believe that it works. Because of the way our vision works if you leave your stick on the table and stare at it for about 20 seconds it will stay in your vision after you move the stick as a straight line. Supposedly you can then use that line to line up a shot and know that it will be perfectly straight.

My problem with this is that as you shift you are moving the line with your eyes. I can see how this would be useful for banking with a little math but only in very specific instances. Is this something anyone else has ever heard of before? Is this a secret technique that actually works?

Stroke / squirt / swerve / throw errors are much more fatal even if you are 100% on target. From experience i find that our eyes usually pick the proper aim, but our stroke is bad, since it is a dynamic step rather than a static step like aim, stance , bridge, butt hand..

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh God, so now we have "One Weird Trick to Improve Your Aim." Here are some other AZB thread ideas:

This pool player laid his stick down on the table. You won't believe what happened next

17 things you can do to aim better

Improve your aim and find out which Game of Thrones character you are with this quiz

19 most embarrassing nip slips by female professional pool players

You won't believe what photo-bombed this pool player's selfie

Miley Cyrus uses her tongue to aim the 9 ball (NSFW)

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
You want me JuicyGirl to stare at sticks??? :eek:

I knew there was a reason I visit this place.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
..............................................................................................................................

Attachments

• men who stare at cues.jpg
    men who stare at cues.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 177

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a foul in BCA

Btw, you don't have to lay your cue down (a foul) and it doesn't take 20 seconds. With a little practice, a player can see the line in less than 5 seconds.

I just place the tip where the ghost ball touches the cloth, hold the cue along the OB's shot line, and then stare at the cue for a few seconds, look up to the shot line and presto!, there is the line, all laid out for me to use.

Jeff Livingston

The rule was changed a few years ago, you can lay your cue on the table in the BCA.

f.
You may use your cue, held in your hand or not, to help align a shot
You
may use your cue and hands to measure angles and distances for bank
shots and kick shots.
No other cues, bridges or equipment may be used.
(AR p. 73).

GoldenFlash

Banned
I been using it for years and it does work quite well....when your normal aiming won't do the trick for whatever reason.
I use it as a way to get my aiming back. It can be very helpful to actually physically see the shot line.
I use it mostly for the travel of the object ball's line, but I've also used it for the cueball's travel line.
It works really, really well for Persons like me who have bad eyes.
Jeff Livingston
Don't try to explain anything new or radical to this bunch of naysayers, Jeff.
All they will do is hold you up to the harsh light of twisted ridicule and top that off by telling you how tough they are and will knock the teeth out of anyone, etc etc.
And these are probably some of the same gang who're always whining about "what we need to do to improve pool".
These guys are EXACTLY why big time sponsors run from this game like a posse was after them.
Let 'em die on the vines of inferiority.
"New image of pool" ?...............BAH! Humbug!
Flash.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The rule was changed a few years ago, you can lay your cue on the table in the BCA.

f.
You may use your cue, held in your hand or not, to help align a shot
You
may use your cue and hands to measure angles and distances for bank
shots and kick shots.
No other cues, bridges or equipment may be used.
(AR p. 73).

Thanks. I never set down my cue with hands off of it, regardless. For this technique, it isn't required anyway.

Jeff Livingston