How many of you play multiple cues?

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I never understood playing w several cues. They act different w different deflection, feel, etc.

It would seem that to play your best game a player should only use one cue. Commit to it and learn it and know it.

I got a friend who plays everywhere w a sneaky pete but any league or tourney he gets in he pulls out his most expensive cue. He doesn't play the sneaky pete because he's trying to hustle.

I know they play different.

I own two cues, one sits in it's case. Every once in a great while I'll pull it out just to feel the difference and that's about the it. I got my second cue I don't play on a v sweet deal.

I thought of selling it but now I just figure for the money I'd get out of it, I'll just keep it. It's like new.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my main cue. But I own many cues. I enjoy comparing and contrasting how they play. It's fun to get out a dozen cues and do that.

Aside from that there is something to be said for different cues for different types of games. The clear examples would be pool vs carom vs snooker.

Beyond that I would say I would prefer my Joss for straight pool. My Huebler for 9 ball. My Dayton for one pocket. Part of that has to do with what tips are on them but it goes beyond that.

Speaking to your point I have had my Joss since 1985 and will never get rid of it. If I had only one cue that would be it. So I do advocate sticking with a cue. But many people change cues like I change socks.

tommypabs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said Chopdoc! I like a firmer/more solid hit for one pocket. 9 ball I use something a bit more "whippy". I also have some older cues and collectible types I like to take out and enjoy just every once and a while. I know how each of my cues feel, so, it doesn't take me long to adjust when switching.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I recently had 6, all each had thier own uses

Had to let em all go, and just have my one player and one guest/house cue

I'm ready to settle down on my player , feels refreshing to have and just worry about a single cue

One cue to play them all

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had 14 or 15 at once & down to 6 now. Wished I had never went past 2 or 3. I've had Josey,
Andy Gilbert, 2 Schon's, (1 a '93), several Meucci Originals.
Now I have a D-1, D-2, D-3 McDermotts, Pechauer 'sneaky' a Schmelke true sneaky, AND my expensive cue that I rarely hit, my Rick Howard.
My McD's, Pech, & Schmelke hit as good as any. haven't played the R Howard enough to get a real feel, It's mint and I don't want to ding it, might sell it local.
I think my wallet and my playing would be better off had I played the same cue or 2 all this time. Best of luck to whatever y'all choose though!!! Johnny Rosato ~ B'ham, Al

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the time.....when I'm playing with one my Jerry R. cues, I take both cues out and will switch during
the course of play.....both cues have the identical specs.....butt weight, shaft weight, shaft size, and
cue joint and thread.......When I play with one of my Bob Owen cues, I do the exact same thing. Both
cues come out of my case and the same thing applies like my Jerry R. cues......both cues Bob made
me have the same specs......in fact all four (4) of those cues have the very same specs which is the
underlying basis and reason for why I had custom cues built.....changing cues actually is enjoyable.

Matt B.

p.s. My Bob Owen and Jerry Rauenzahn cues use the very same brand tips.....Kamui Clear Black (soft).

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't Go By Me But.......Switching Cues.....Well,

I think most players would benefit from using only one pool cue and master the cues characterictics and feel.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think most players would benefit from using only one pool cue and master the cues characterictics and feel.

If conditions were always the same...one cue would do the job.
...but conditions vary....I like a heavy cue for slow conditions...
...I like a light cue for fast conditions...
...and every day, when you get out of bed, you're a different person.
Some days, my heavy cue felt light...sometimes it felt heavy.

My first game was golf, you're allowed 14 clubs...and you need them.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Joss and Pechauer are my players, different specs.
I do switch off between them depending on my mood.

1) I think in some ways it improves your game to play with different cues sometimes, kinda like playing on different tables....

2) I also switch cues sometimes when I feel I'm in a rut, sometimes a different cue will get you out of a rut, not sure why exactly.....

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
That's funny.
I just added a few cues to my sig seconds before I saw this thread.

Prior to all my operations when I played in competition all the time it was easy to pic
one cue or choose one everyday player.
However these days without much pool focus other than trying out different cues, it's
impossible for me to pick one, I just can't do it.
In addition I think I'm addicted to selling cues, so I have a mental block about
choosing one cue, when subconsciously I know I'll probably flip it at any time.
I wake up in the middle of the night, start taking pics, and by morning it's sold and in a tube.
I've gone through 3000 lineal feel of bubble wrap in five years.
People even have cues on layaway with me which is working out nicely.

No cue in my arsenal or AZ signature is safe, I could up and sell it at the drop of a hat...that's no shit

:smile:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never understood playing w several cues. They act different w different deflection, feel, etc.

It would seem that to play your best game a player should only use one cue. Commit to it and learn it and know it.

I play with 2 butts and 3 shafts, and of course one is my favourite.
I do this regularly, even switching on one evening how I like it.

The different characteristics help you to focus more on your shots and the feedback you get from the cue. This again helps you with getting better.
With one cue you tend to fall into a rut.
I usually say, get a Cuetec R360 or a Players HXT as a fun cue to play around with. They are extremely high value for the money.

Also you selected the cue when you were at a certain skill level or had certain preferences. They change and you should use a cue that matches those.

Cheers,
M

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nine Ball is probably a game where one may get better results from a cue that imparts spin more easily to the cue ball that needs to travel greater distance more often during sets. However, there are certainly distinct advantages to using one cue exclusively for all games in terms of player consistency. That being said, I have switched out cues randomly for matches; but will always practice for a few days prior to using a different cue for a match- in a few days of hour or more practice- good players will adapt to the cue's individual characteristics readily. I do it just because I like playing with most of my cues, but if I were in continuous action for the $$ - my choice would be to stay with one cue - in the long haul i believe that one would retain the precision needed against top competition using one cue that is most suited to your game - this applies at the higher levels of play where you have reached the ability to land your rock on dime consistently and pocket anything that is makeable.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent read all the replies
but since i use ob 1 or ob 1 + shafts on all my cues they dont play so differently
so i will play with different cues
yes the balance point and "feel" is alittle different with each but its easy to adjust with the shafts and tips (g2 soft) being the same

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Scott,

Before Southwest "lost" my Schon playing cues, I played with one for playing and a second for breaking. Still play with that near twenty five year old Schon. And that includes the original shaft.

Since I no longer travel cues to Vegas, I have an Ariel Carmeli to play with and a McDermott cue to break with while in Vegas.

Guess there must be a problem as I use my playing cues for all games. No specialization.

Lyn

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Well said Chopdoc! I like a firmer/more solid hit for one pocket. 9 ball I use something a bit more "whippy".

For me it's more about how much I'm going to move the cueball around. If I play 8-ball, 14.1, or 1-pocket I use a softer tip. For rotation, or 10-ball I like a medium. These are on different shafts for my main cue, but all low deflection.

I had the LD's tips replaced recently at the same time and had to play with the original ivory ferrule shafts. I couldn't play side for at least an hour. The same thing happens when I swap to a different cue, it takes a few games to adjust as they play differently. I just stick to the main cue for the most part.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use one cue for playing and breaking (unless I'm playing for hours at a time, then I'll get out my break cue) other than that I do use 2 different jump cues. I have my long range stinger (its heavy and I can pound the cue ball far but not high) and my ob pro lift for all close to ball high jumps! The Ob when used in two piece configuration pops up very quickly and easily.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
For years I could not tell much difference between cues and I played with many. Now I can easily feel a difference and enjoy trying each cue in my collection if it is playable and most are. a few antiques are left the way I found them and do not have tips.

I often will grab a cue and play nine ball until I run a rack and then do it again with a different cue, this will go on until I have been through 4-5 cues. Doing this will highlight the different playing characteristics between them.

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
I keep two Olney cues in my case that hit almost identical to one another. One is a plain jane, the other is fancy. Dont want to pull my fancy cue out at the local bangers 8 ball bar tournaments.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a young guy (I'd put him in his late thirties-early forties) who comes into the pool hall I frequent and he totes a cue case that holds 4 butts and 8 shafts. He has those cue grips that fasten to a table and he sets them up, leans all his cues on them, and screws all 4 of his cues together and also sets up his jump cue.

During ordinary 8-Ball play, he will alternate between cues depending on how he "feels" about a given shot. Often times, he'll change shafts during play. I asked him if he ever played golf and he said "No, but I'd like to learn some day".

It's fun to watch him play from the sidelines. He's a banger and I suspect he'll never improve too much with all the variation going on in his aim lines. But he enjoys it all and I guess that's the important part.