new hightower tailstock

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just received my new screw in style tailstock from chris and i think the up grade is very well worth the money.
i think anyone with a hightower lathe should look into this new [ to me ] product.
thanks again chris.

chuck starkey

dave sutton

Banned
chris few questions

does it have thumb screw style movement or wrench style like typcal metal lathes

also does it offset like the lever style

lastly kinda goes with lst question. how much work to get perfect. i imagine if it slides it will take some adjusting

thanks

looking forward to getting the upgrade

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
I have asked that no pictures be posted.

Chris,
Could you send out pics and description directly to interested parties? (You can link to a pic in a PM.) It seems that you have more than a little interest in this product, but it's hard to buy something that you cannot see . . .
Mr H

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
chris few questions

does it have thumb screw style movement or wrench style like typcal metal lathes

also does it offset like the lever style

lastly kinda goes with lst question. how much work to get perfect. i imagine if it slides it will take some adjusting

thanks

looking forward to getting the upgrade
It moves with a single wing knob jost like my normal tailstocks.

It is only slightly adjustable. It is not meant to be offset for cutting points.

It is not all that hard to adjust, if you have a dial indicator on the tool post.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris,
Could you send out pics and description directly to interested parties? (You can link to a pic in a PM.) It seems that you have more than a little interest in this product, but it's hard to buy something that you cannot see . . .
Mr H
When everyone who has already bought one says you should get one, then you might should take their word for it. I have no intentions of circulating pictures until I introduce the New Deluxe next year. And I ask no one else circulate pictures either.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
An Abstract Commentary

It's a pretty sad day we've come to. But then, you all know that.

When an honorable manufacturer is hesitant to show a pic of his new product for fear it will be RIPPED-OFF, it's time to ask ourselves just how we got to this point. :confused:
Knock-offs will happen. It's a fact of life. Some people just have such a lack of imagination that the only creativity they have is how cleverly they can steal someones else's intellectual property. Or how blatantly, for that matter.
But hey, it happens and you see it everyday. I can almost understand the 'idea thieves'. That's all they know how to do.

What I can't get my head around are the people who buy the knock-off item.
They have a choice and they chose the knock-off. And for what? To save a few bucks on a copied product. See if you can get a side of integrity to go with that.
What they are doing is rewarding the thief and encouraging them to do it again.
Believe me, they will.
The sharing of ideas is great, just don't do it with pictures. Not if you had any idea of marketing your new idea anyway.
I've heard it said that we create our own Hell. What you don't hear is that when your new Hell is completed, you now have to live there. Welcome home. :eek:

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my 2

I have e-mailed Chris about pics and he said no. He also said I would like the tailstock.....I have to be a good steward of - MY - money .If my son said he wanted to spend $200.00 on a tailstock and I asked to see it and he said ,the guy selling it won't show me a picture.......I don't know what my response would be ...BUT I do trust Chris....and I'll have to make up my own mind . I just wish there was a way around this so I didn'tr feel so weird for asking to see a picture of what I'm buying.....This is a sad time...

dave sutton

Banned
When everyone who has already bought one says you should get one, then you might should take their word for it. I have no intentions of circulating pictures until I introduce the New Deluxe next year. And I ask no one else circulate pictures either.

i agree. based on word of mouth i say its a good buy. i have no problem with that. 200$ is nothing when it comes to buying equiptment.

for this specific item there has been this wheel style MT tailstock for the dovetail availible for over a year now that i know of.

with that being said i uderstand all sides

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tailstock

I understand the need to keep a secret for fear of being knocked off. The thing is, I need some info on why I should buy this. Like, why is it better than the old tailstock? Do I need different live centers if I buy it? I'd be willing to spend the dough if it is going to make my life better but with all the secrecy I have no idea what the hell it does.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i agree. based on word of mouth i say its a good buy. i have no problem with that. 200$ is nothing when it comes to buying equiptment.

for this specific item there has been this wheel style MT tailstock for the dovetail availible for over a year now that i know of.

with that being said i uderstand all sides
This is a true #2 Morse Taper tailstock not a #Zero Morse Taper one, so tooling for it is very common, and yes it has been out there for many months, but I only sold the first ten to ICA members and it took months to get 50 more made.
For those who asked for the price it is $175 with no chuck.
I sell a chuck and #2 MT arbor for $35
Shipping in lower 48 states as about $14
Paypal address is cueman@cuesmith.com

For those who are patient you can see it in Valley Forge in March along with the rest of the options that will be offered for the Deluxe.

dave sutton

Banned
I understand the need to keep a secret for fear of being knocked off. The thing is, I need some info on why I should buy this. Like, why is it better than the old tailstock? Do I need different live centers if I buy it? I'd be willing to spend the dough if it is going to make my life better but with all the secrecy I have no idea what the hell it does.

it uses a MT2 i believe he said. u can buy a dril chuck for 35$ thats MT2 and use the same straight shank centers. or but new MT2 centers
the 200$ RANGE includes the drill i believe 175$ + 35$

it may not be easier but more acurate

dave sutton

Banned
This is a true #2 Morse Taper tailstock not a #Zero Morse Taper one, so tooling for it is very common, and yes it has been out there for many months, but I only sold the first ten to ICA members and it took months to get 50 more made.
For those who asked for the price it is $175 with no chuck.
I sell a chuck and #2 MT arbor for $35
Shipping in lower 48 states as about $14
Paypal address is cueman@cuesmith.com

For those who are patient you can see it in Valley Forge in March along with the rest of the options that will be offered for the Deluxe.

i will be buying one at SBE maybe sooner

i saw the same style tailstock thru another maker before sbe last year and almost bought it

if its more accurate its a no brainer ... cant wait