Please post pics of exotic woods w/identification

Althair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just want to express gratitude for wonderful responses. I was closing in the on a cocobolo and ebony but need to study these.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

Althair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who love this, Mcdermott made a similar cue called EF2 that can be had for reasonably low prices when available.

Althair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a Zircote merry widow from Chris Nitti. It is hard to fully capture the grain but this photo is the best I've taken.
621f97b3bc17bb4c352f000091a7c2d7.jpg

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
For those who love Zircote, Mcdermott made a similar cue called EF2 that can be had for reasonably low prices when available
dd4ca3864d363343d5b8b2889b2923bc.jpg

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who love Zircote, Mcdermott made a similar cue called EF2 that can be had for reasonably low prices when available
dd4ca3864d363343d5b8b2889b2923bc.jpg

Mine is available at a reasonably low price too. LOL

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you mind of I piggyback off this, and post a picture of some wood I have, but can't ID? ...If so, let me know and I'll delete it.

I've had 3 or 4 people look at this wood, and they're unable to ID it. Most likely it's an exotic rain forest hardwood of some sort. It's very dense, hard, and heavy. It's been sitting in my garage for +/- 15 years.

I have 3 boards, roughly 36" long x 4" wide x 1-1/18 thick.

I would like to have a cue made. I probably have enough for a couple cues. The only problem is it's thickness. Not thick enough for a butt, however maybe with veneers?

Here's a picture. "Unfinished" on top. "Finished" with a coat of polyurethane below. The picture doesn't do it justice. It's absolutely beautiful in person.

Most likely can't be identified without a clear picture of the endgrain and a good close picture of the board. If anyone on this board can identify it would be Mr. Crisp, that dude is a wood junkie of epic proportions. You can post in the ask a cue maker section for the best response.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you mind of I piggyback off this, and post a picture of some wood I have, but can't ID? ...If so, let me know and I'll delete it.

I've had 3 or 4 people look at this wood, and they're unable to ID it. Most likely it's an exotic rain forest hardwood of some sort. It's very dense, hard, and heavy. It's been sitting in my garage for +/- 15 years.

I have 3 boards, roughly 36" long x 4" wide x 1-1/18 thick.

I would like to have a cue made. I probably have enough for a couple cues. The only problem is it's thickness. Not thick enough for a butt, however maybe with veneers?

Here's a picture. "Unfinished" on top. "Finished" with a coat of polyurethane below. The picture doesn't do it justice. It's absolutely beautiful in person.

For points, it's plenty. For Forearm, can use 1 1/4" squared. Butt bottom 1 1/2" squared. Laminate it. Just an idea.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Most likely can't be identified without a clear picture of the endgrain and a good close picture of the board. If anyone on this board can identify it would be Mr. Crisp, that dude is a wood junkie of epic proportions. You can post in the ask a cue maker section for the best response.

Thank you! I'd like him to weigh in.. I'm also sending a sample off to the USDA this week, and will report back with their analysis... Without providing them any information, such as geographic area of origin, they may only be able to determine the genus, or group. We shall see...

For points, it's plenty. For Forearm, can use 1 1/4" squared. Butt bottom 1 1/2" squared. Laminate it. Just an idea.

The thickness is more like 1-3/16" - a little closer to the 1-1/4 but still a hair under... Thank you for the suggestion. I'm definitely set on incorporating this into a cue as the primary wood. It's survived in my possession for 15+ years, through two moves.

The wood is VERY heavy and will most likely need to be handled by someone who does "coring".

After further consideration, each board I have probably equates to one cue, so I have enough for 3 cues. ...In case anyone is interested once mine is done and we see how it turns out...