only for the instructor that has the answer

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have any sympathy for people who pretend they're experts but clearly aren't. I don't care in what thread they expose themselves. I'm going to say something, especially when they think it's ok to post mocking comments about good, decent and informed pillars of our billiard community.

They can cry and pretend they love all of mankind for all I care. I can see through that crap like glass.

Rick, it wouldn't have mattered to me whether you started this thread or not. It was just a matter of time before the truth was going to come out.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Sir,

Would you care to elaborate? Specifically, to whom is that directed & why?
On second thought, that might not be a good idea. Let's just leave that alone.

Rick.

It stems from the old adage that a discussion is done once you mention Hitler

Directed at this thread...

No one wants to listen...

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Rick:

I think the problem is that instead of "identifying the problem and quelling it" (which I'm sure was your intentions), you instead inadvertently "put a spotlight on the problem and accelerated it," if that makes any sense. What was probably a quiet simmer, turned into a full rolling boil because the heat was turned up "to get more light on the problem."

However, even though you may think things went awry, even this has a way of resolving the problem. It's apparent that folks had more to say on this issue, more to get off their chest, and that in itself is a good thing. Perhaps now, that folks had said their piece, it will turn out they've also said their peace, if that makes any sense as well?

And, I apologize for my part in this. I am a full believer in identifying root cause of a problem (heck, it's what I do for a living), and hopefully this thread will die down, lessons learned, the appropriate folks adjust their actions (that goes for *both* sides, by the way), and this will be a distant memory.

You meant well, but sometimes these things happen.

-Sean

Now this is something I can agree with!

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Re: "Hitler" remark.

No real problem. But it does illustrate how little some new members know about discussion groups or the internet. Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law I was participating in internet (formerly Usenet, formerly Arpanet) discussion groups before Godwin formulated his law -- older than Godwin, you might say.

I thought I might have been the only old usenet user here for a minute. ;)

RSB RIP...

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
I don't have any sympathy for people who pretend they're experts but clearly aren't. I don't care in what thread they expose themselves. I'm going to say something, especially when they think it's ok to post mocking comments about good, decent and informed pillars of our billiard community.

They can cry and pretend they love all of mankind for all I care. I can see through that crap like glass.

Rick, it wouldn't have mattered to me whether you started this thread or not. It was just a matter of time before the truth was going to come out.

Fran, you are a top level expert. You will view most as less than expert. Think about this for a sec...

I have a team member who has stated he likes playing on my team because I am willing to share my secrets. He views me as an expert. The other day I was playing in a tournament and noticed he was playing on another table so I went over to say hi. I stopped and watched what he was doing. He was giving a lesson to a man and his wife. The man and wife view him as an expert. I would never dispel that feeling in the man and wife if my friend was giving bad information. I would educate my friend on what was incorrect hence protecting the passion of the new players and my friend.

As for me...the more I learn the less I know...

Ken <--- not an expert in Fran's eyes but he would be willing to learn anything she cares to share!

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Re: "Hitler" remark.

No real problem. But it does illustrate how little some new members know about discussion groups or the internet. Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law I was participating in internet (formerly Usenet, formerly Arpanet) discussion groups before Godwin formulated his law -- older than Godwin, you might say.

I think this thread was a mistake. Metadiscussions usually are.

Mr. Jewett,

I take this opportunity to apologize to you for some of my comments made in the heat of another 'discussion'. My objection, at times, seem to be more to the seemingly 'religious' like dictates of some rather than their differences with my opinion.

As I have stated elsewhere, the only thing that I know...is that I know nothing. One day the world was flat the next day it was round even later it was not perfectly round but has a 'slight' bulge along the equator.

Again I apologize.

Meta-discussion? Perhaps. Although I think it to be more about general attitude & lack of civility than any specific or even general topic
discussion(s).

Mistake? Perhaps. I see some good coming from it but there is also the other side of the coin. Only the 'tipping of the scale' will determine whether it was a mistake or not. It was well intentioned.

Regards,
Rick

PS I'll leave the other matter alone. I am of French/German descent myself & my parents were born before 1920.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Adolf ?

Mr. Okie,

Thanks for the clarification. I am an internet novice & did not understand your reference. I took it incorrectly, since I was lacking context. Just another example of a potential mis-communication if not clarified. I was hoping that I was mistaken & I'm gald that I was.

What is a man 100 miles from home carrying a briefcase?..................An 'expert'. ( no one there knows him)

Thanks for your insights in that department.

A large platform is valuable & should be used responsibly. Again I'm not familiar with the history.

From my experience, I like Ms. Crimi & her approach to giving constructive instructive advice.

From my experience, I think I like Mr. Sherman for his open mindedness.

Who cares what I think or feel? Right?

Again I am not privy to the past history. I also do not pretend to be capable of being a peace maker. However it seems apparent that Mr. Sherman has made some mistake(s) intentioned or not that has upset Ms. Crimi, perhaps beyond repair. I hope a solution can be worked out between them in private as I doubt the public persona would be attractive to a 'newbe' looking for help.

Again, maybe my instructor registry thought might be something to consider.

I guess I'm just thinking 'aloud'.

Anyway, thanks again Mr. Okie,
Rick

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Fran, you are a top level expert. You will view most as less than expert. Think about this for a sec...

I have a team member who has stated he likes playing on my team because I am willing to share my secrets. He views me as an expert. The other day I was playing in a tournament and noticed he was playing on another table so I went over to say hi. I stopped and watched what he was doing. He was giving a lesson to a man and his wife. The man and wife view him as an expert. I would never dispel that feeling in the man and wife if my friend was giving bad information. I would educate my friend on what was incorrect hence protecting the passion of the new players and my friend.

Ken <--- not an expert in Fran's eyes but he would be willing to learn anything she cares to share!

Here where I live we'd say "that's whicked deep" :p

Gotta spread the rep around before repping you again.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
only the instructor who has the answer

I would have thought that one or two responses whould have been enough to address the OP's request for "Only the instructor who has the answer". After 8 pages of response, I can only assume that there are many more knowledgeable instructors on this site than I initially imagined.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I apologize for whatever I must have said or written somewhere to anger everyone so much. I sincerely apologize.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken, you don't know how I think. Probably best not to try to figure it out. LOL. Anyway, I appreciate your concern but I'm crystal clear on this. It's not about high standards. I do appreciate the compliment.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
all in all what im trying to say is
i think in this forum
we are all one happy dysfunctional family:)
jmho
icbw
:grin:

although i think sometimes im ignored(perhaps rightfully so...:embarrassed2:) i stand by my comment above....:eek:
fran i still want to know
do you know and/or can you play the muscrat ramble on the calrinet/piano/or accordian??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5EgASje8MQ
thanks fran if you reply:)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some giant-hearted people. Some giant axes grinding. Some giant egos. :)

Matt:

Of course, you don't know what Tim (TheThaiger, aka TheContrarian) was getting at, in that in his opinion, there are NO giants here, instructor-wise. And you're not familiar with his "if snooker technique is not taught, proper cueing is not taught either" legacy here.

But that's ok, you can spin it any way you like, you content-spinmeister, you! :p ;) :D

-Sean

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Heh-heh, I like that.

There be giants about! I found out yesterday from a pal that it's not just me some folks were picking on so I felt quite a bit better...

Thank you.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick...This is another one of your 'fantasies'. I never said I didn't "like" you. I did say that I thought you were misinformed...still do. The only real disagreement we had I already stated in a post on another thread, and I'll repeat here again, once and for all. You PM'd me regarding a comment I made to a poster here, who posted incorrect information (something that has happened on a number of occasions). You asked me to make a public apology, and I refused. I didn't say that person was a putz or a jerk. I said that even with 50 years of playing experience, people can still have wrong information about how things really work.

You have posted over and over about how there are golfers and pro pool players who do things that are unconventional. Nobody disagrees with that. What the majority of us instructors here try to do (especially the SPF group), is make is EASIER for the average person to learn...the ones who are struggling, or the ones who have reached a plateau that they cannot seem to overcome. There are easy and repeatable ways to do things...and there are ways that are more difficult. It's always the student's choice which path to pursue. Nobody chides or disrespects you because you "learned on your own" what works best for you. That said, you have some misconceptions on what a pendulum swing is, among other things. Neil and some others (myself included) have tried to help you to better understand, but I think you won't until you perhaps have the opportunity to study with someone who can show you (grey ghost can...meet up with him). Even then, nobody is suggesting that you HAVE to accept the information.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Neil,

I have said that it is fairly obviuos that Mr. Lee & I do not like each other, even though we have never met. There are underlying & publicly unknown reasons for that.

As to why I am posting in the instructor section, I have asked a question of an instructor(s) & have already explained why.

What false information have I 'put out' about what any specific instructor teaches? I have no real knowledge of any of the specifics that any instructor, teaches. I have only seen what I have seen here on AZB. My comments have been generic.

Who specifically have I 'knocked'? Again, my perceptions have all been generic.

Who are you quoting with this quote, "oh, I'm here to make peace, so don't look at the misinformation I'm spewing to start flame wars" ? I certainly have never said anything like that & I am not doing that, nor is that my intention.

It appears to me that you may be one that thinks you are clairvoyant & can both read minds & intentions. With this post you 'basically' are calling me a liar & a hypocrite without using those words. This is offensive in the quise of calling one out for 'supposed' mis-information or ill intent with no such proof.

Yours is a type of post to which I have been referring. What good can come from this post of yours. It is instigative. If I would allow it to do so, it could insight me into a retaliatory response. Why do you verbally attack me? Where & when have I done so to you?

Please re-read this thread up to this point & make note of the totally different tone of your two(2) posts from all of the others.

I believe that you are operating & responding under a mis-conception. No offense meant. I simply 'feel' & think that you have made a mistake, as we all can & I most certainly have in the past & will most certainly do again in the future.

We ALL make mistakes. One of the biggest is to NOT appolgize when we suspect or know that we may have made one.

I honestly do not know why you appear to be so upset with me.
What did I do to you other than not totally agree with your assesment of the 'pendulum' stroke. I thanked you for your efforts. I simply do not agree & it is not my fault that it does not stand up to my investigation, IN MY OPINION!

Best Regards,
Rick

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
My Test!

Rick...This is another one of your 'fantasies'. I never said I didn't "like" you. I did say that I thought you were misinformed...still do. The only real disagreement we had I already stated in a post on another thread, and I'll repeat here again, once and for all. You PM'd me regarding a comment I made to a poster here, who posted incorrect information (something that has happened on a number of occasions). You asked me to make a public apology, and I refused. I didn't say that person was a putz or a jerk. I said that even with 50 years of playing experience, people can still have wrong information about how things really work.

You have posted over and over about how there are golfers and pro pool players who do things that are unconventional. Nobody disagrees with that. What the majority of us instructors here try to do (especially the SPF group), is make is EASIER for the average person to learn...the ones who are struggling, or the ones who have reached a plateau that they cannot seem to overcome. There are easy and repeatable ways to do things...and there are ways that are more difficult. It's always the student's choice which path to pursue. Nobody chides or disrespects you because you "learned on your own" what works best for you. That said, you have some misconceptions on what a pendulum swing is, among other things. Neil and some others (myself included) have tried to help you to better understand, but I think you won't until you perhaps have the opportunity to study with someone who can show you (grey ghost can...meet up with him). Even then, nobody is suggesting that you HAVE to accept the information.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Minimum # of characters.