Pierce or Sugartree

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
Ziracote and maple Merry Widow Pierce or Sugartree bloodwood into maple full splice with burl butt? Both 3/8x10 mod pin and 58" long. Any and all input is welcome.

Rackattach

Banned
Its a coin flip. Either way you'll be happy

I personally have owned 3 Sugartree cues and 4 pierce cues with several of the shaft options. My personal opinion is that the Sugartree cues move the ball easier with less effort and they ALL play jam up and very accurate!! The pierce cues are all different. I loved one and the other three were just ok or good.

The other major factor is you'll never lose $$ on a Sugartree but the pierce cues all sit a long time before they sell and it's near impossible to break even on them but I've made $$ on every Sugartree I've ever had.

Hope you appreciate an honest opinion from a person who's owned and played with both.

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
I personally have owned 3 Sugartree cues and 4 pierce cues with several of the shaft options. My personal opinion is that the Sugartree cues move the ball easier with less effort and they ALL play jam up and very accurate!! The pierce cues are all different. I loved one and the other three were just ok or good.

The other major factor is you'll never lose $$ on a Sugartree but the pierce cues all sit a long time before they sell and it's near impossible to break even on them but I've made $$ on every Sugartree I've ever had.

Hope you appreciate an honest opinion from a person who's owned and played with both.

Great feedback. I do appreciate it.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sugartree....without a doubt the greatest cue I ever owned! Why, oh why, did I sell it?? Gah!!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
ST would be my choice, too. I have owned a couple of Pierce cues and more ST's.

The St's are very consistent in my experience.

best,
brian kc

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
Went with Sugartree. I picked up a new full splice bloodwood into maple with box elder burl butt and 3 shafts. 2 old growth and one maple. I'm pretty stoked on it. Thanks for the input everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_2696.jpg
    IMG_2696.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no way you can compare a Sugartree with a Jim Pierce cue.

I've hit with both and Sugartree and Pierce cues alongside several top tier cue makers in the world. Sugartree cues tend to have the "it" factor...the magic hit.

These Sugartree cues are so way a head in terms of play ability, resale, value design and execution.

I've also spoken to both cue makers and the impression I have from each is that one is still the apprentice and other is clearly a master level. Although they have different designs.

Eric has an organic talent not only in terms the art of cue making but also naturally intelligent. He's able to figure out so many reasons why a particular piece or part of cue and why it factors into how it makes the cue play so well.

A close friend of mine has a certain Sugartree that i compare all other cues to. It's one of Eric Crisp's earlier works...before the butterfly rings. i don't know what or how or why it plays so easily. Each time I visit...I insist that i play with that particular Sugartree. Everything...literally everything i do is like magic. Drawing the ball, force follow...stun shots. Is done without hesitation. It so smooth..like driving a luxury vehicle. No thought required.
this is the standard that all cues should strive to be like. I've hit with roughly 10 other sugartrees after this one. And they are all very consistent. Its hard to imagine how he does it.

There are so many cue makers/ cue builders out there, that make great looking cues. Some of them play decent and other don't. But with these two options. There's only one definitive answer...

Sugartree cues hands down.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
There is no way you can compare a Sugartree with a Jim Pierce cue.

I've hit with both and Sugartree and Pierce cues alongside several top tier cue makers in the world. Sugartree cues tend to have the "it" factor...the magic hit.

These Sugartree cues are so way a head in terms of play ability, resale, value design and execution.

I've also spoken to both cue makers and the impression I have from each is that one is still the apprentice and other is clearly a master level. Although they have different designs.

Eric has an organic talent not only in terms the art of cue making but also naturally intelligent. He's able to figure out so many reasons why a particular piece or part of cue and why it factors into how it makes the cue play so well.

A close friend of mine has a certain Sugartree that i compare all other cues to. It's one of Eric Crisp's earlier works...before the butterfly rings. i don't know what or how or why it plays so easily. Each time I visit...I insist that i play with that particular Sugartree. Everything...literally everything i do is like magic. Drawing the ball, force follow...stun shots. Is done without hesitation. It so smooth..like driving a luxury vehicle. No thought required.
this is the standard that all cues should strive to be like. I've hit with roughly 10 other sugartrees after this one. And they are all very consistent. Its hard to imagine how he does it.

There are so many cue makers/ cue builders out there, that make great looking cues. Some of them play decent and other don't. But with these two options. There's only one definitive answer...

Sugartree cues hands down.

How many Sugartrees do you personally own. Please provide pictures as I would love to see them.

Thanks

Kevin