League started back up tonight

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'm conflicted about whether I'll be playing again when we finally get things started here. Both my wife and my son are compromised, and I just don't know if its gonna be something that can be well managed in our local pool room environment.

If it was just me, I wouldn't be so concerned.

Gonna be a lot of soul searching on my part, before I make that decision. I'm the captain on one team, and co-captain on the other. Been playing 8-ball for 11 years now, 9-ball for about 9 years. This is the longest I've gone without hitting a ball in that time frame. The players on our teams are all dear friends, and I consider most of the folks who play in our division to be my friends. It would be tough to not be there. Still...

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I will not be going back to the pool halls or the bars anytime soon. One of my teammates just passed away Sunday from the virus. He was very safe always wore mask and in pretty good shape. I know in Connecticut some of the last things to be open will be Pool Hall‘s bars. I’m a little happy about that and sad at the same time. Loss of one of my best friends to this stuff. Also financially I’m losing with the Pool Hall’s bar is not open. I bought the Tap league of Southern Connecticut and right before the pandemic hit we were ready to go. Now I’m just gonna wait.Stay safe it’s not worth it just wait it out He was a very close friend a great father a good husband gone to early rest in peace Dean Bracey

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you kidding me? That outdated concept didn't work 50 years ago, and it doesn't work today either.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

abstinence will always be the most effective birth control
be safe

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you kidding me? That outdated concept didn't work 50 years ago, and it doesn't work today either.

Scott Lee

The concept is fine, and 100% accurate.

The problem is that people make poor decisions.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Accurate or not...it didn't happen 50 years ago, and it's not going to happen today either...whether it's a poor decision or not! It's called reality.

Scott Lee

The concept is fine, and 100% accurate.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Accurate or not...it didn't happen 50 years ago, and it's not going to happen today either...whether it's a poor decision or not! It's called reality.

Scott Lee

Yes, I know. There are a lot of self centered, stupid people in this world.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I will not be going back to the pool halls or the bars anytime soon. One of my teammates just passed away Sunday from the virus. He was very safe always wore mask and in pretty good shape. I know in Connecticut some of the last things to be open will be Pool Hall‘s bars. I’m a little happy about that and sad at the same time. Loss of one of my best friends to this stuff. Also financially I’m losing with the Pool Hall’s bar is not open. I bought the Tap league of Southern Connecticut and right before the pandemic hit we were ready to go. Now I’m just gonna wait.Stay safe it’s not worth it just wait it out He was a very close friend a great father a good husband gone to early rest in peace Dean Bracey

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. :( I see the statistics every day, but the numbers don't tell the story about who the people were that died. Godspeed Dean Bracey; you were a fellow pool player, you were dnixon's friend, and you were a good husband. I regret that I'll never get to hang out with you and shoot some stick.

Would you consider posting a pool story to memorialize your friend?

Last edited:

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CORONA <= .1 microns

Droplet avg. >= .8 micron

HEPA filter >= 1.2 microns (realistically).

Typical painters masks basically do nothing, in fact they are designed for a much bigger particle size _AND_ to allow your exhalation to escape.

All this is easily researched, go check it out.

HEPA/N95 _MASKS_ are questionable, and they _COULD_ help inwards. Outside of those, the masks that would filter it are incredibly expensive and controlled, you're literally better off buying SCUBA.

Keep your OWN hands clean, but I wouldn't keep wiping everything down, that will just keep things in a perpetual loop of moist and increase contact between material surfaces (what your pool hall is doing is actually _NOT_ suggested by many sources). I'd suggest to them to use a UV light instead of wiping anything.

Unless you're on some serious medication, even if you contract it you'll be fine. The number for asymptomatic hosts keeps rising, it was up in the 70 percentile last I read, so maybe you do have it and don't know it.

You'll be fine, but did you notice what type of exhaust system the building was using? I'm wondering if the typical HVAC systems in use are being reversed into some kind of filter/bin/climax.

Droplets: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2843952/
HEPA:

The problem with using numbers like this to demonstrate ineffectiveness is that all they prove is that you can't stop the spread by using things like masks. They don't prove that you can't slow it down. The average droplet size (and hence, the number of viral particles "ingested") goes way down through the use of masks and social distancing. And the 0.1 micron number is misleading, as the virus needs a droplet or other physical mechanism to travel. So if you stop a single droplet, your average 1.2 micron HEPA filter just stopped direct ingestion of potentially THOUSANDS of 0.1 micron viral particles. Similarly, if you AVOID a droplet, you just avoided direct ingestion of the thousands of viral particles it may contain. If you KILL viral particles before you ingest them (by washing your hands and cleaning objects), you've done what you can to slow the spread. By the way, I don't know about you, but wearing a mask keeps me from touching my face or chewing my nails, giving me time to kill what viral particles my hands have collected over time.

The virus has a certain kill rate despite all of this. The kill rate is higher if medical treatment is unavailable, which could happen if medical facilities are overwhelmed. Other things that affect the kill rate are new medical treatments and possibly a vaccine, though a vaccine may only affect the spread of the virus, not its kill rate. All that is being done now is to slow the spread, so the medical system is not overwhelmed and to give researchers time to come up with new treatments and/or a vaccine.

To demonstrate the effects of this, take the rate of infection to its extreme and assume everyone gets infected today. With a kill rate of .003 (99.7% survival rate with current medical treatments), in a population of 1,000,000 3000 would die. But if only half of them can get the medical treatment they need, maybe the kill rate would go up to .006, or 6000 dead. That might be acceptable to you, but for those 6,000 people it's not. Now suppose we slow down the spread so that it takes a year for those 1,000,000 to become infected. Say also that the medical system is not overwhelmed because we slowed the rate of spread. Just doing this saves 3,000 lives instantly. Now suppose 6 months in that a new medical treatment is discovered (say a shot that reduces the kill rate to .001 and is available to everyone). Now instead of 6,000, only 500 people die. We just saved 5,500 lives through nothing but the practices put into place.

Eventually we'll know what the real survival rate is, and hopefully medical treatments will improve to reduce that rate and a vaccine will be developed to slow the spread so there's no threat of overwhelming medical facilities. Then slowing the spread beyond a vaccine won't necessarily save any lives (like the flu today) and there won't really be a reason to do it. When that is all known, people will have to make their own decisions for themselves and their loved ones. But in the mean time let's do what we can to help the doctors and scientists out. Flattening the curve isn't about making it flat, just like leveling the playing field isn't about making it level. Both are about giving the weaker participants a chance.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with using numbers like this to demonstrate ineffectiveness is that all they prove is that you can't stop the spread by using things like masks. They don't prove that you can't slow it down. The average droplet size (and hence, the number of viral particles "ingested") goes way down through the use of masks and social distancing. And the 0.1 micron number is misleading, as the virus needs a droplet or other physical mechanism to travel. So if you stop a single droplet, your average 1.2 micron HEPA filter just stopped direct ingestion of potentially THOUSANDS of 0.1 micron viral particles. Similarly, if you AVOID a droplet, you just avoided direct ingestion of the thousands of viral particles it may contain. If you KILL viral particles before you ingest them (by washing your hands and cleaning objects), you've done what you can to slow the spread. By the way, I don't know about you, but wearing a mask keeps me from touching my face or chewing my nails, giving me time to kill what viral particles my hands have collected over time.

The virus has a certain kill rate despite all of this. The kill rate is higher if medical treatment is unavailable, which could happen if medical facilities are overwhelmed. Other things that affect the kill rate are new medical treatments and possibly a vaccine, though a vaccine may only affect the spread of the virus, not its kill rate. All that is being done now is to slow the spread, so the medical system is not overwhelmed and to give researchers time to come up with new treatments and/or a vaccine.

To demonstrate the effects of this, take the rate of infection to its extreme and assume everyone gets infected today. With a kill rate of .003 (99.7% survival rate with current medical treatments), in a population of 1,000,000 3000 would die. But if only half of them can get the medical treatment they need, maybe the kill rate would go up to .006, or 6000 dead. That might be acceptable to you, but for those 6,000 people it's not. Now suppose we slow down the spread so that it takes a year for those 1,000,000 to become infected. Say also that the medical system is not overwhelmed because we slowed the rate of spread. Just doing this saves 3,000 lives instantly. Now suppose 6 months in that a new medical treatment is discovered (say a shot that reduces the kill rate to .001 and is available to everyone). Now instead of 6,000, only 500 people die. We just saved 5,500 lives through nothing but the practices put into place.

Eventually we'll know what the real survival rate is, and hopefully medical treatments will improve to reduce that rate and a vaccine will be developed to slow the spread so there's no threat of overwhelming medical facilities. Then slowing the spread beyond a vaccine won't necessarily save any lives (like the flu today) and there won't really be a reason to do it. When that is all known, people will have to make their own decisions for themselves and their loved ones. But in the mean time let's do what we can to help the doctors and scientists out. Flattening the curve isn't about making it flat, just like leveling the playing field isn't about making it level. Both are about giving the weaker participants a chance.

To put this in laymans terms....... :thumbup:

49900369768_2d518483f4_z.jpg