Popping ball stroke

Kdogster

Registered
I watched the match between Shane Van Boening and Corey Deuel with Earl commentating. In the very first game, Shane does a draw shot on the 3 ball. His cue ball is about 2 feet from the object ball. Earl makes a point about popping the ball as a way of delivering the cue. Can somebody explain what he means and how this stroke is different from a regular draw shot? Also, what situations do you use this stroke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnVVjoWWl2o
Shot starts at 1:54.

My guess is that popping a ball is accelerating the cue faster than normal to get more action, when you don’t have the room for a longer back stroke.

Thanks!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I can’t be sure what Earl means but.🥴

My experience is that the fingers provide the pop. In a later shot where the cue ball is close to the object ball he again used “pop the ball”. Your fingers can provide much more controlable short distance power.

Kdogster

Registered
I was meaning shortening the back swing to avoid raising the cue butt end too high. Since the side rail is close, the back end of the cue needs to go higher the longer his back swing. So, maybe he keeps his back swing shorter to keep the cue less elevated. Hard to explain.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I was meaning shortening the back swing to avoid raising the cue butt end too high. Since the side rail is close, the back end of the cue needs to go higher the longer his back swing. So, maybe he keeps his back swing shorter to keep the cue less elevated. Hard to explain.
I get it - thanks.

pj
chgo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the match between Shane Van Boening and Corey Deuel with Earl commentating. In the very first game, Shane does a draw shot on the 3 ball. His cue ball is about 2 feet from the object ball. Earl makes a point about popping the ball as a way of delivering the cue. Can somebody explain what he means and how this stroke is different from a regular draw shot? Also, what situations do you use this stroke?

My guess is that popping a ball is accelerating the cue faster than normal to get more action, when you don’t have the room for a longer back stroke.

Thanks!

Attempting to translate Earl-speak is always a perilous task.

However, just watching the shot, I believe he means hitting the CB closer to center but with additional speed to create the draw. The shot “pops” because of the additional speed/force.

Lou Figueroa
or sumthin’
like that

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't see that the shot requires anything special. He's not really hampered by the cushion. I don't think he needed to have less draw with more speed as that tends to move him to the wrong side of the four ball. If he had played it with lively draw and a little right, I think he could have gotten on the left of the four so he wouldn't have had to make a trip to the end rail for the five. I guess we need to ask Earl.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think he means achieving the same cue ball action (speed and spin) with a shorter stroke. Reaching your desired cue speed, in a crescendo style, using a 5-6 inch stroke, with a 5-6 inch follow through instead of a 12-13 inch stroke, with an 8-9 inch follow through. My .02.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see that the shot requires anything special. He's not really hampered by the cushion. I don't think he needed to have less draw with more speed as that tends to move him to the wrong side of the four ball. If he had played it with lively draw and a little right, I think he could have gotten on the left of the four so he wouldn't have had to make a trip to the end rail for the five. I guess we need to ask Earl.

Yes I think it's more about the collision dynamics. Kill/Stun/Stop etc..

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Attempting to translate Earl-speak is always a perilous task.

However, just watching the shot, I believe he means hitting the CB closer to center but with additional speed to create the draw. The shot “pops” because of the additional speed/force.

Lou Figueroa
or sumthin’
like that

This would be my interpretation.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My take on "popping" the draw shot , is simply shortening the follow through on an otherwise normal stroke, (full back swing).

All this really does is allow you to get the cue out of the way of the soon to be cue ball heading your way. If you watch the shot in question. This is exactly what Shane does. Quick and shortened following through and gets the cue out of the way in timely fashion.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

His back stroke when all the way back into his bridge hand.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This would be my interpretation.

yep.

Not to argue the point much further but at this level of play we're talking about very subtle but important variations in angles they're trying to create. If you play much 14.1 you know the shot.

Lou Figueroa

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instead of a long follow through the got the cue out of the way to avoid a double hit. The next shot with high inside is a more difficult shot. Notice how Shane's follow through is different on the 4 next shot where he stays down like normal because there is no risk of a double hit.

Best way to learn the shot is to play a lot of pool. Shane didn't even have to think about it. It's just how the shot is played.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually what he means is that you hit the ball with Authority , CJ Wiley showed us this during his session . He is hitting the cue ball with enough power and stroke that the ball is actually coming off the table and popping into the object ball. Cj would lay a quarter down and the cue ball would come off the table just so slight to go over it , it has a pop to it . like punching the ball. CJ does this very well and makes it look easy . he explains this on his website Mastering pocket Billiards .

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Thanks!

It’s a quick stroke with a short follow-through...the cue ball draws quickly instead of hesitating.
There’s a punch in martial arts that is similar...gives a sharp pain rather than a blow that
does longer term damage.