little ko is gone

John Brumback

Silver Member
it happens, its pool. if you guys been around in pool for ages you should know that its not always the better player wins, so many good players in pool, the winner is determined by layouts and rolls also added to it skill, so skill means nothing, pool is almost like gamble, I love the game but thats how it really is.

I made a post awhile back about this same subject, that any given player can beat any other given player even if the skill is different, it doesn't matter, you will see it over and over, this is pool, not golf or tennis where the better player 90% of the time wins. pool is like 50% 50% if the skill is close enough, then any1 can win and it depends

If you would have just said 9ball in there somewhere,you would have been 100% right:) John B.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
the only point I will attempt to make is there have been more upsets so far than I have expected......I understand the variance is higher when the race is shorter because luck can be a big factor....just look at finals of world 9 ball this year......just saying little ko has no business losing to this guy period

I think that the break is a big factor this year. The layouts after the break seem much harder to deal with and it's causing a lot of back and forth with safety play and unforced errors.

That said I don't know if we watched the same match. Putnik dominated the whole way through and played smart and good.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Putnik is not an unknown, but he's not on Ko's level either.

Fillup is right, Ko's break totally killed himself, I was wondering the same thing as well. It worked so poor, poor enough that even amateur player would probably want to try something break differently. He couldn't make a ball, not to mention even scratched and almost couple times.

:eek: One thing to note about his knowledge and skill though, when he was winning his last rack, Putnik put the four behind the five or three behind the four.

Ko made an EFren kinda shot :thumbup: kick it one rail and off to "combo" the 9 in the corner.
As soon as he went to check the 3/4 I knew he saw the shot and was gonna do it.
No surprise he pulled it and then all applauded.
It was by no means a close distance or easy shot. Definitely low percentage, many players would probably just play a safe.

Didn't watch the match. Thanks for update
Little Ko is still youngest of the top players so he will win a major soon. Just a matter of when :grin:

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the only point I will attempt to make is there have been more upsets so far than I have expected......I understand the variance is higher when the race is shorter because luck can be a big factor....just look at finals of world 9 ball this year......just saying little ko has no business losing to this guy period

Right but luck isn't the only variable. A lesser player can play above his average ability and a better play can play below his average ability... Put it all together in shorter raves and you have variance, and upsets.

In a really long race all that should cancel out and the better player will win more often, but then what fun would that be?

Right but luck isn't the only variable. A lesser player can play above his average ability and a better play can play below his average ability... Put it all together in shorter raves and you have variance, and upsets.

In a really long race all that should cancel out and the better player will win more often, but then what fun would that be?

I agree with this

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well..,

So how long does the race need to be to "average out" luck?

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Your going to take Shane against the field 100% of the time just because its a long race???

I really like Shane's game, but he's not head and shoulders above everybody else in the world no matter how long the race!

If every tourney was races to 50+, winner breaks, then yes, I'd take Shane against the field every time and I'd come out way ahead.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well then..,

If every tourney was races to 50+, winner breaks, then yes, I'd take Shane against the field every time and I'd come out way ahead.

Its your opinion that SVB's game is far ahead of everybody else's in every aspect or that the things that he does well are so much better that he cant be beat? What are those things that he does better than everybody else to the degree that he cant lose to...,

Busty, Ko, Lee Van, Ignacio, Dennis, Alcano, Biado?

Its your opinion that SVB's game is far ahead of everybody else's in every aspect or that the things that he does well are so much better that he cant be beat? What are those things that he does better than everybody else to the degree that he cant lose to...,

half the names you mention here aren't even close to svb.....busty? maybe 15 years ago.....lee van, not close......Ignacio, wtf lol.......alcano, does he even play much any more?

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Just wondering, but were the international players given a chance to test out the Accu-racks before the tournament like the American players did?

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member

In a race to 11 any of those guys and a lot more can beat Shane although he's still the favorite. In a long race 50+, winner break, nobody in the world can fade his break. He would run packages better than anyone and the rest of his game is on par or better than anyone as well. That's not to say that he would NEVER lose a race to 50+, but he would win almost every tourney he entered, hence I'd take him against the field every time.

In a race to 11 any of those guys and a lot more can beat Shane although he's still the favorite. In a long race 50+, winner break, nobody in the world can fade his break. He would run packages better than anyone and the rest of his game is on par or better than anyone as well. That's not to say that he would NEVER lose a race to 50+, but he would win almost every tourney he entered, hence I'd take him against the field every time.

basically the stance you are taking is the longer the race the more likely the better player will win......this is not a new observation........you didn't find the next loaf of bread lol

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
basically the stance you are taking is the longer the race the more likely the better player will win......this is not a new observation........you didn't find the next loaf of bread lol

lmao, have you not been reading every single thread concerning tourney pool, specifically the world 9-ball championships for the past 5 years?

I've explained "variance" as it relates to race length and break format for tournament pool. And yes, in a nutshell, the longer the race the more likely the better player will win. Congratulations, without knowing it or understanding what you just said, you defined variance with that statement. Maybe you inadvertently saying it will take hold better than myself or the handful of others saying the exact same thing for the last 5 years.

lmao, have you not been reading every single thread concerning tourney pool, specifically the world 9-ball championships for the past 5 years?

I've explained "variance" as it relates to race length and break format for tournament pool. And yes, in a nutshell, the longer the race the more likely the better player will win. Congratulations, without knowing it or understanding what you just said, you defined variance with that statement. Maybe you inadvertently saying it will take hold better than myself or the handful of others saying the exact same thing for the last 5 years.

considering I have been a pro poker player for the last 11 years I might know just a touch more about variance than you :kma:

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
considering I have been a pro poker player for the last 11 years I might know just a touch more about variance than you :kma:

lol, do you even know who I am? I play with Daniel Weinman, David Woo, Robert Park, and Michael Schwartz in the biggest poker games in Atlanta along with Deangelo Hall, Julio Jones, and several other athletes and huge business men. I'd venture to say that our Thursday game has more money on the table than you've ever seen in your entire life.

lol, do you even know who I am? I play with Daniel Weinman, David Woo, Robert Park, and Michael Schwartz in the biggest poker games in Atlanta along with Deangelo Hall, Julio Jones, and several other athletes and huge business men. I'd venture to say that our Thursday game has more money on the table than you've ever seen in your entire life.

I don't play that big really.....my usual game is 25/50 nl holdem......usually buy in for 3 to 5k..........not that high really.....certainly not the nosebleed games

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
I don't play that big really.....my usual game is 25/50 nl holdem......usually buy in for 3 to 5k..........not that high really.....certainly not the nosebleed games

hold em is obsolete now. Most of our games are mixed with PLO and some stud/hi lo every so often. Avg. buy in is 10K but is much higher when the stud is mixed in. It's played with spread limit $100-$2000.