Top 10 Pool Shots Amateurs Play Wrong … and How to Play Them Right

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video on YouTube:

Top 10 Pool Shots Amateurs Play Wrong … and How to Play Them Right

Check it out. I identify and offer advice for the following top 10 principles and shots amateurs get wrong, along with how to get them right:
1.) Don’t Scratch
2.) Make Pockets Play Bigger
3.) Use the Rails as Brakes
4.) Master the Table Center
5.) Control Rail Cut Shots
6.) Avoid Banks Unless Very Easy
7.) Elevate Smartly
8.) Break Out Smartly
9.) Don’t Dribble the Rail
10.) Detect and Avoid Double Hits

I look forward to your feedback, comments, and questions.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another great vid, you are on a roll. The target audience should be huge. Most people that would really benefit from drilling this into their game, don’t have a home table with a big screen next to it.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another great vid, you are on a roll. The target audience should be huge.
Thanks. People seem to really like my last two "Top 10" videos, and I have one more planned for next week dealing with common strategy mistakes.

Most people that would really benefit from drilling this into their game, don’t have a home table with a big screen next to it.
I think watching the video at a pool hall on one's phone or a tablet is a reasonable alternative.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those interested, here's what I have planned for the Final Top 10 Video:

Top 10 Pool Strategy Errors Amateurs Make … and how to correct them​
1.) leave angles on shots, stay on the correct side of each shot, come into the line of the next shot, and keep CB motion to a minimum.
2.) identify and solve problems early (don’t pocket all of your easy shots first).
3.) identify key shots and key balls to get on the key shots (especially the game ball).
4.) plan position so you can follow for the dough instead of drawing for show, especially with BIH (unless the draw shot is natural).
5.) don't take BIH for granted and choose the shot carefully to get the most benefit (e.g., don't just set up a straight shot on the easiest ball).
6.) strive for perfect position, but accept less-than-perfect position when it is the best play (i.e., just take what is offered).
7.) don't bump balls if you don't need to (i.e., don't bump a good ball into a bad position, but do bump bad balls into good positions).
8.) getting position on and off pocket hangers carefully, and closer is better, cheat pocket for thin or full hit to control CB travel distance and direction.
9.) don't play for tough position for an easier shot if easy position for a slightly tougher shot is available, weighing both alternatives carefully (always go with the higher percentage option).
10.) always play an easy lock-up safe instead of a low-percentage offensive shot.

If you have any final input or suggestions, let me know soon since I plan to film in the next few days.

Thanks,
Dave

Here's the latest tentative list for the new videos: "Top 10 Shots Amateurs Play Wrong" and "Top 10 Position Plays Amateurs Get Wrong:"

1.) come off a rail (use the rail as a brake, and as your friend) rather than attempting to hold a shot with finesse (where throw or cling/skid/kick can cause a miss).
2.) using 45 degree rule off end rail to pocket game ball (9 or 10) with a confident stroke with no risk of scratch.
3.) thin cut a ball instead of banking it (unless it is an easy, fairly straight cross-side or cross-corner bank).
4.) use slow speed at shallow angles into corner pockets to make effective size of pocket larger (instead of hammering it and rattling the ball).
5.) when using slow speed, especially with stun, aim to over-cut the ball slightly to compensate for throw (or use gearing outside english).
6.) when breaking out clusters, use the slowest speed possible to get a controlled and desirable outcome.
7.) when banking, use either slow speed (for natural rolling-ball) or fast speed (to guarantee ball slide), both of which have predictable rebound angles.
8.) aim firm, close-range follow shots slightly full to compensate for ball-hop over-cut effect.
9.) don't use sidespin when there are good alternatives with no sidespin
10.) don't bump a good ball into a bad position, but do bump bad balls into good positions.
11.) use stun-roll-through or stun-back by adjusting the tip slightly from the easy-to-judge stop-shot position.
12.) plan position so you can follow for the dough instead of drawing for show (unless the draw shot is natural).
13.) leave angles on shots, stay on the correct side of each shot, come into the line of the next shot, and keep CB motion to a minimum.
14.) identify and solve problems early, and identify key shots and key balls to get on the key shots (especially the game ball).
15.) on the break, use only as much power as you can control (an accurate, square hit with good technique is much more effective than lots of muscle).
16.) use running spin to make a steep rail cut shot much easier (and hit cushion first).
17.) throwing vs. cutting frozen and small-gap combos.
18.) when you elevate the cue to clear a ball, to swerve, or to jump, keep your vision center over the cue, and aim in the non-elevated position. Also, elevate as little as necessary.
19.) getting position on and off pocket hangers.
20.) don't play for tough position for an easier shot if easy position for a slightly tougher shot is available, weighing both alternatives carefully (always go with the higher percentage option).
21.) don't slow-roll the ball on a table that might have roll-off (use a drag shot, stun forward, or other option instead).
22.) use running english (instead of extra speed) to help send the CB along natural position routes with ease.
23.) never be uncertain about CB direction or the possibility of a scratch ... master the 90 deg, 30 deg, and trisect rules.
24.) don't just guess when aiming with sidespin ... use a system (like BHE/FHE calibration) and/or practice a lot more.
25.) know how to use the 45 degree rule to go to and through the center of the table.
26.) always play an easy lock-up safe instead of a low-percentage offensive shot.
27.) strive for perfect position, but accept less-than-perfect position when it is the best play (i.e., just take what is offered).
28.) don't take BIH for granted and choose the shot carefully to get the most benefit (e.g., don't just set up a straight shot on the easiest ball).
29.) sometimes a 2-rail kick is better than a 1-rail kick.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
There was another guy named Dave that had Top 10 lists, but his were in decending order.

Do your lists prioritize, or do number one and number ten carry the same significance? IOW, should a beginner concentrate their effort on number one before the others?

Thank you for all the work you share.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was another guy named Dave that had Top 10 lists, but his were in decending order.
Yeah. Letterman's Top 10 lists were a lot more fun.

Do your lists prioritize, or do number one and number ten carry the same significance? IOW, should a beginner concentrate their effort on number one before the others?
I usually list the shots in what seems like a "natural order" to me; but, in general, I try to show the most important things first. Also, many viewers on Youtube don't always have the patience to watch the entire video, so I try to make sure there is useful and interesting stuff at the beginning. Regardless, I honestly think every topic in my last few videos is extremely important.

Thank you for all the work you share.
You're welcome ... and thank you for the input.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those interested, here's what I have planned for the Final Top 10 Video:

Top 10 Pool Strategy Errors Amateurs Make … and how to correct them​
I've added section titles (see below).

Again, please let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions. I will film tomorrow or Monday.

1.) Be Smart with Pattern Play - leave angles on shots, stay on the correct side of each shot, come into the line of the next shot, and keep CB motion to a minimum.
2.) Solve Problems Early - identify and solve problems early (don’t pocket all of your easy shots first).
3.) Identify Key Balls - identify key shots and key balls to get on the key shots (especially the game ball).
4.) Follow for the Dough - plan position so you can follow for the dough instead of drawing for show, especially with BIH (unless the draw shot is natural).
5.) Use Ball-In-Hand Wisely - don't take BIH for granted and choose the shot carefully to get the most benefit (e.g., don't just set up a straight shot on the easiest ball).
6.) Play for the Right Shape - strive for perfect position, but accept less-than-perfect position when it is the best play (i.e., just take what is offered).
7.) Don’t Bump Balls - don't bump balls if you don't need to (i.e., don't bump a good ball into a bad position, but do bump bad balls into good positions, and bump into a ball to help hold the CB when necessary).
8.) Manage Pocket Hangers Smartly - getting position on and off pocket hangers carefully, and closer is better, cheat pocket for thin or full hit to control CB travel distance and direction.
9.) Weigh Your Options - don't play for tough position for an easier shot if easy position for a slightly tougher shot is available, weighing both alternatives carefully (always go with the higher percentage option).
10.) Play the Percentages - always play an easy lock-up safe instead of a low-percentage offensive shot.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anybody have any last minute requests or suggestions?

Last chance,
Dave

Top 10 Pool Strategy Errors Amateurs Make … and How to Correct Them​

1.) Be Smart with Pattern Play - leave angles on shots, stay on the correct side of each shot, come into the line of the next shot, and keep CB motion to a minimum.
2.) Solve Problems Early - identify and solve problems early (don’t pocket all of your easy shots first).
3.) Identify Key Balls - identify key shots and key balls to get on the key shots (especially the game ball).
4.) Follow for the Dough - plan position so you can follow for the dough instead of drawing for show, especially with BIH (unless the draw shot is natural).
5.) Use Ball-In-Hand Wisely - don't take BIH for granted and choose the shot carefully to get the most benefit (e.g., don't just set up a straight shot on the easiest ball).
6.) Play for the Right Shape - strive for perfect position, but accept less-than-perfect position when it is the best play (i.e., just take what is offered).
7.) Don’t Bump Balls - don't bump balls if you don't need to (i.e., don't bump a good ball into a bad position, but do bump bad balls into good positions, and bump into a ball to help hold the CB when necessary).
8.) Manage Pocket Hangers Smartly - getting position on and off pocket hangers carefully, and closer is better, cheat pocket for thin or full hit to control CB travel distance and direction.
9.) Weigh Your Options - don't play for tough position for an easier shot if easy position for a slightly tougher shot is available, weighing both alternatives carefully (always go with the higher percentage option).
10.) Play the Percentages - always play an easy lock-up safe instead of a low-percentage offensive shot.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Top 10 Pool Strategy Errors Amateurs Make … and How to Correct Them​

Don´t try impossible shots. Learn where balls can go :D
I'll try to work that into 10.

Thanks,
Dave

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave, in the first segment of your video regarding avoiding scratches, you make the following statement:

"Another option is to play for this line which is about 70% of the way from stun to maximum draw. So aiming the tip 70% as low as the maximum draw tip position gets the job done."

I don't think the correlation between tip position and spin is so linear. I would imagine it would be more of an exponential or logarithmic correlation. Have you ever tested this?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, in the first segment of your video regarding avoiding scratches, you make the following statement:

"Another option is to play for this line which is about 70% of the way from stun to maximum draw. So aiming the tip 70% as low as the maximum draw tip position gets the job done."

I don't think the correlation between tip position and spin is so linear. I would imagine it would be more of an exponential or logarithmic correlation. Have you ever tested this?
It is linear if you visualize the tip contact point on the ball (not the center of the cue). If the tip contact point is 70% of the way down from the stop-shot position, 70% of max draw (for the given shot speed) will result.

I have done the math/physics on this, and testing agrees.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is linear if you visualize the tip contact point on the ball (not the center of the cue). If the tip contact point is 70% of the way down from the stop-shot position, 70% of max draw (for the given shot speed) will result.
I call this type of shot a CB control tweener. For lots of examples of how useful these are, see:

CB control tweener shot examples

Enjoy,
Dave

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have done the math/physics on this, and testing agrees.

Regards,
Dave

Yep, you're right. I just realized that after I refreshed my memory on how to calculate Moment. Moment = Force x Distance, so the correlation between Moment and Distance is linear with the same amount of Force. Thanks.

Echelon

The hill hill thrilla
Silver Member
Thanks for the video Dave, well done as always! I find that many newer players get caught up in a vortex of useless or just plain bad information on YouTube and I'm always quick to send them to your web page and tell them not to venture out too far until they have absorbed most of your content. By then they should be able to tell the wheat from the chaff. Even as an advanced player I watch ALL your content as its a good reminder, we all like to slip back into old bad habits now and then. Keep up the great content!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the video Dave, well done as always! I find that many newer players get caught up in a vortex of useless or just plain bad information on YouTube and I'm always quick to send them to your web page and tell them not to venture out too far until they have absorbed most of your content. By then they should be able to tell the wheat from the chaff. Even as an advanced player I watch ALL your content as its a good reminder, we all like to slip back into old bad habits now and then. Keep up the great content!
You're welcome ... and thank you for the supportive comments, and for suggesting my stuff.

I'm about to go down to my basement to film the for the new video. Wish me luck.

Regards,
Dave