Why is 9 ball so popular?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Seriously?? I guess i'm thinking world rankings. I see where she was #3 WPBA at end of '19.

Yes, never #1 world ranking. In fact, you have to go back about 25 years to find the last time an American lady held the #1 WPA ranking. Jennifer hasn't' even played the full WPA international schedule for many years. Jennifer's 2nd place finish in the first WPBA event in 2020 gave her the #1 ranking on the WPBA tour and she holds it now according to WPBA.com. Allison Fisher is #2.

Last edited:

NE dubz

Registered
9 ball is definitely more exciting to watch on TV, especially to less then ardent pool fans...more innings, slop drama, less traffic, rotation style safety play and the kicking/jumping that it brings, and the instant win factor are just a few reasons I like watching 9ball more...not sure if the break and run/pack numbers are better for 9 ball or 8 ball but I would think so and as far as this 50 percent runout thing goes, I’can’t see it either...If Bob Jewett is putting something down, I’m buying it lol...I enjoy seeing both games played at a high level but I REALLY like pool...there isn’t as much to watch now but the World Pool Series that Darren Appleton did was 8 ball for a while and I thought it was a great thing and really enjoyed watching it and would have really liked to see it do better...

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that 9 ball helps you play a tighter position game which is a big help in 8 ball when you have to get the cue ball in a small area to win a game. In 8 ball you can play a looser positional game since there are far more options to shoot at, especially when you have all or most of your balls on the table. 9 ball is more specific by nature as it is normally one ball you are playing shape for. Honestly I like the four major games ie, 9 ball - 8 ball - straight pool - and one pocket.. I play one pocket the least only because I lack patience....

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Bob are you a solid player? Like master amature or above. I'd bet you can go home with a template rack and film yourself getting a 6 pack or better by tomarro

You should totally play Bob for the cash. Like naow, not tomarro. I will totally buy the PPV.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Yes, never #1 world ranking. In fact, you have to go back about 25 years to find the last time an American lady held the #1 WPA ranking. Jennifer hasn't' even played the full WPA international schedule for many years. Jennifer's 2nd place finish in the first WPBA event in 2020 gave her the #1 ranking on the WPBA tour and she holds it now according to WPBA.com. Allison Fisher is #2.

Just to add

Jen played the lead character in a low budget film.

She is consistently improving.

In terms of growth potential Jen is a good ambassador for young players.

When black widow stormed the scene waves were made. Jen has more presence on YouTube.

Thanks for laying down the facts.

9 ball should be a hit because that is the game of choice for wpba.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Jen and she’s good for the game.

However, she doesn’t even make it Into the top 25 female billiard players in the world. They are mostly Asian gals who play Chinese 8 ball and, of course, the best of all is Reanne Evans, the multiple times women's snooker champion.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I like Jen and she’s good for the game.

However, she doesn’t even make it Into the top 25 female billiard players in the world. They are mostly Asian gals who play Chinese 8 ball and, of course, the best of all is Reanne Evans, the multiple times women's snooker champion.
Jen HAS to be on a shot clock.
That's my only complaint.