11.65 is that to skinny for a shaft. Warp ?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on having no problems.

I played years with Schons, Meuccis, Predators etc. before designing my current tiny-tipped cue and having Ed Young make it.

Every pro snooker player. And the trend continues toward smaller tips in pool.

pj
chgo
No problems , So your a top level pro , snooker doesn't count balls are smaller

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I play with 11.75mm. As thousands and thousands of other players do as well. OB cues sells them that way as one of their standard sizes, as I'm pretty sure many other cue makers do as well.

Pangit

Banned
Hello ,

I like a skinny shaft , always have. My Son had a Meucci with a 11.65 shaft that played like a dream. I got the chance to speak to Dan Janes of the Famous Joss cues and he told me that he will never go any smaller than a 12 on a shaft because if you do they will eventually warp , Do you think that would be the case. I have seen shafts for sale that were 11.65 and were lifetime warranty against warping and Meucci offers this size also . I have a shaft I want cut down from 13 to 11.65 , what do you guy's think ,

This is all urbane legend, circumcise all you want. It doesn't matter if you've been using a skinny shaft all your life...or not.

At the end of the day, It's ALWAYS the Wizard...not the wand.

Example, I know a "guy" that can chop down a tree with an axe quicker and more cleanly than most "guys" could cut down that same tree with a chainsaw.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
probably things will get ugly

You are going to be taking about a fifth of the cross section off of that shaft, all off of the outside makes it have far more effect than drilling a hole and taking it off of the inside.

From 13mm to 11.65mm is likely to vastly change how the cue plays. Since you haven't mentioned current taper or taper you want to go to it is hard to even guess if this might work if you like how the shaft plays now. Just as an example, I liked how a shaft of mine played at 12.75mm. Same length, same pro taper, turning to 12.25mm totally changed the play of the shaft, made it unplayable for practical purposes.

If you like the play of the 13mm shaft I wouldn't cut it below 12.75mm. If that works you might be tempted to take a little more wood off. Just remember, expressed as a percentage, and in terms of playability, taking that first cut off of the shaft is a lot different than the last. Taking .25mm off may work from your viewpoint, another .25mm may make it unplayable. Even that first .25mm is a gamble. If you are really fond of the hit now I wouldn't cut the shaft at all.

Hu

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I don't know about warping as long as it wasn't all turned down or sanded down at the same time, But I do think a shaft that small would be very whippy unless it was a nice gradual taper. To each is their own but I have played with many different shafts from 13 down to 11mm, I ended up with my dream playability point at 13 - 12.7. I do prefer a 13 as long as the taper is correct. I can get just as much action if not more with a 13mm shaft as a (pin point English) small mm shaft.

May I ask why you prefer the 11.65, is it for comfort purposes?

-Drew

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Just as much, but not more. No cue/tip/chalk/whatever produces more spin than another - it's all about where (how far off center) you hit the CB.

pj
chgo

Your correct, I should have said I feel with the thicker mm I have an easier time delivering the action on the cue ball, therefore creating more spin than. I could with something smaller.