2020 World 9 Ball

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol I love that you brought CF shafts into this somehow :D funny, rep to you sir cause it made me laugh.

scarygary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who owned the rights to the world pool championships as it was called back then, when they had it in Cardiff, Wales?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HOT DAMN!!!! Exactly what this event needed: a REAL promoter to run it. This is great news. Anybody want to speculate on location/venue?? London? Moscow? Chicago? Whatta you guys think???

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
HOT DAMN!!!! Exactly what this event needed: a REAL promoter to run it. This is great news. Anybody want to speculate on location/venue?? London? Moscow? Chicago? Whatta you guys think???

It probably won't happen but I know where I'd like to see it - Atlantic City

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It probably won't happen but I know where I'd like to see it - Atlantic City
HUH??????? I haven't been to AtlCity in a long time but last time i was there it was a complete dump. I've heard that it has rebounded lately but i wouldn't go there if it was held any near the Boardwalk. Since the Open is in Vegas i predict it will be in Europe somewhere. Moscow wouldn't surprise me.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
HUH??????? I haven't been to AtlCity in a long time but last time i was there it was a complete dump. I've heard that it has rebounded lately but i wouldn't go there if it was held any near the Boardwalk. Since the Open is in Vegas i predict it will be in Europe somewhere. Moscow wouldn't surprise me.

East coast destination that provides ample convention and hotel room space and is an easy drive down to Norfolk for the International, which is two weeks after this. Also an easy destination for fans from DC, Philadelphia, New York and New England to travel to. Mid-October is still considered peak season there though so I'm sure the hotel rooms will still be expensive.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is best pool news of the year so far.
The last W9B MR hosted in Philippines more than decade ago, winner's cheque was $100K
I do not see them offering less than that so minimum $100K for the champion would make this the biggest pool event (singles) and the one that all players want to win.

I think venue will venues they are experienced in and familiar with since they say it will be in 9 months time. So either Vegas or London
Vegas because they already have the infrastructure/support tuned up and in place after recent Mosconi Cup and US Open. Also because MR making big push into live sports broadcast in their tieup with DAZN. If Vegas host this, it will be the Pool capital of the world :grin:

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a feeling it will be in Europe or potentially the Middle East. They just secured the World Cup of Pool in the Middle East for a multiple year contract in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/saudi-arabia-host-world-cup-pool/

From reading the press release, it seems like more than this event is possible.

“The newly formed partnership with Matchroom Pool kick starts a ten-year agreement, throughout which the Kingdom aims to raise the profile of pool at grass roots level by way of coaching visits, player appearances and school seminars.”

We will see!

-Ben

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a feeling it will be in Europe or potentially the Middle East. They just secured the World Cup of Pool in the Middle East for a multiple year contract in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/saudi-arabia-host-world-cup-pool/

From reading the press release, it seems like more than this event is possible.

“The newly formed partnership with Matchroom Pool kick starts a ten-year agreement, throughout which the Kingdom aims to raise the profile of pool at grass roots level by way of coaching visits, player appearances and school seminars.”

We will see!

-Ben
I seriously doubt AND seriously hope its NOT in the Mideast. If you want to pack the seats and sell the stream you need to go to a pool savvy location like London, Moscow, Vegas, Chicago, etc. IMO returning this event to the Mideast would be a disaster.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
East coast destination that provides ample convention and hotel room space and is an easy drive down to Norfolk for the International, which is two weeks after this. Also an easy destination for fans from DC, Philadelphia, New York and New England to travel to. Mid-October is still considered peak season there though so I'm sure the hotel rooms will still be expensive.

I agree with this. Many of the top players enter The Great Dismal Swamp 9-ball Classic, October 24th - 26th which is about 45 mins from the Int'l Open. If the World is close by, then it would be 3 tournys in 3 weeks.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is best pool news of the year so far.
The last W9B MR hosted in Philippines more than decade ago, winner's cheque was $100K
I do not see them offering less than that so minimum $100K for the champion would make this the biggest pool event (singles) and the one that all players want to win.

I think venue will venues they are experienced in and familiar with since they say it will be in 9 months time. So either Vegas or London
Vegas because they already have the infrastructure/support tuned up and in place after recent Mosconi Cup and US Open. Also because MR making big push into live sports broadcast in their tieup with DAZN. If Vegas host this, it will be the Pool capital of the world :grin:
When they had it in Cardiff it was a very nice setup. Matchroom had it there 2000-2003. Cardiff is a little out of the way, but I got on a bus at Heathrow and got off two blocks from the hotel and the arena three hours later. I dropped my luggage in the hotel room and there on TV was the event across the street.

Here is the Wikipedia page on the history of the event:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPA_World_Nine-ball_Championship

I'm guessing it will be at Alexandra Palace in London. Second on my "probables" list is Mandalay Bay. Since it will be broadcast, I think the timezone will be a significant factor in the choice. They will want to hit the most lucrative (TV-wise) markets at prime time. In Las Vegas the matches have to end in the afternoon for European viewing, which is why the Mosconi Cup starts at 11AM and finishes about 4PM.

Matchroom just finished the Dafabet Snooker Masters at Ally Pally as they call it. (invitational tournament, top 16) I think the arena was set up for 2000 spectators. (The MC will be 3000 there, I think, in December.) They have upgraded the set decoration. Watch the start of this to see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdjgcBCQze4

Third on my list is someplace new that is willing to put in significant money for the publicity. That's way down the list because this is sort of a first-time event and I think they would want to go with a known foundation.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
This is the one tournament I’ve never really watched. I guess some of the older ones I did but isn’t this what they’ve been doing out in Qatar? With the Uber silence and awkwardness? Not pleasant.

I’ll add my vote for Atlantic City, or Annapolis, or VA somewhere. DC maybe, in the hood. Anywhere close to me will work plz Matchroom

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like some tight scheduling:

• World 9-Ball -- Wed. Oct. 14 - Sun. Oct. 18

American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship -- ?

Great Dismal Swamp 9-Ball Classic -- ?

International 9-Ball -- Sun. Oct. 25 - Sat. Oct. 31

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Looks like some tight scheduling:

• World 9-Ball -- Wed. Oct. 14 - Sun. Oct. 18

American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship -- ?

Great Dismal Swamp 9-Ball Classic -- ?

International 9-Ball -- Sun. Oct. 25 - Sat. Oct. 31

What is the great dismal swamp 9 ball?