3/8 × 10 versus radial pin, is 3/8 x 10 obsolete?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Stroud himself gave you a clear and concise answer in the other thread.
Regular 3/8-10 is not obselete, it`s about the most used pin out there, the minor do vary a bit from maker to maker though...
Length, diameter and weight of the pins are allmost identical, if you want to complicate things more you can add 3/8-11, Wavy and Ball thread pin to that list.
Most cuemakers choose a pin and stick with it, why complicate things more than you have to.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easier to use an insert on 3/8 10 than radial . You have to use a tap to thread radial threads .
You can live thread 3/8 10 or 11.
It's also easier to cross thread radial than in flat bottom 10's or 11.
Don't doubt one word you've said here. Best/tightest joint i ever used was a modified 3/8x10 Mordt cue. Went together easy, lock'd-up tight and stayed that way. I've had some 3/8x10's that have gradually loosened over time.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate all the feed back. I am going to take try out a radial pin set up. You guys can consider this case closed, that is unless I have something new to report on this topic down the road. Have a great weekend!

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just one more note, if it is a wood to wood joint and you don't like it, you can have it plugged and redone to a different type of wood to wood joint and have the pin changed to some other thread style and not have to buy a new cue and start over again.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My McDermott D-1 and my Rick Howard has 3/8x10. I ain't thought about changin' nary one of 'em!!!

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I asked the cue makers and would like to hear the opinions of the players as well. Please give feedback based on experience using one or both joint styles, all the pros and cons. Thanks

I hope not because most of my daily players are 3/8x10. The short answer is no, they are not obsolete and in my experience there is no functional difference between them.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if someone wants to ban me for asking 2 different groups a similar question feel free! I have been on here for years and look at my post history, pretty low. Stay classy San Diego

Again, my own opinion was that the guy only asked a question. He asked the cue makers. A users opinion isn't necessarily the same. A users input is important. I'd argue that the cue makers would be able to critique the stability, and integrity, of using one joint over the other. The players would be able to comment on the playing aspects, if any. Two sides of the same coin. As I said before, if you're not happy with the product, or product design, why would you spend hundreds of dollars on it?

Let me summarize it for ya:

- It does not matter
- It's a matter of preference

Can we move on now?

Julian

Calm down. It'll be okay. I promise.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
radial pins cost more so aren't used as often, simple as that

Same price as 3/8 modified 10 now.
Looks like 3/8 modified 10 is more popular now for some reason.
One reason might be the radial tap costs a lot more now .

I used to use radial .
I've switched to 3/8 11 SW style.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I asked the cue makers and would like to hear the opinions of the players as well. Please give feedback based on experience using one or both joint styles, all the pros and cons. Thanks

Maybe you don’t know the meaning of the word obsolete? It feels like you want a different word.

I have more 3/8-10 cues than any other. If I had a magic wand, they’d all be 3/8-10. Except the Schulers, Lambros, and Layani.

Freddie <~~~ obsolete

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you don’t know the meaning of the word obsolete? It feels like you want a different word.

I have more 3/8-10 cues than any other. If I had a magic wand, they’d all be 3/8-10. Except the Schulers, Lambros, and Layani.

Freddie <~~~ obsolete

What is the joint screw on your Lambros?

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Freddie <~~~ obsolete

I have 3/8 x 10 cues as well. If you look up obsolete in the dictionary - cause (a product or idea) to be or become obsolete by replacing it with something new. If you look at the trend these days its moving more toward modified or radial. That is not opinion its a fact. My favorite cue is a regular 3/8 x 10 joint. I asked 2 separate groups of people on this forum there thoughts on the subject because I wanted to hear from the builders and from the players on the subject. I hope no feelings are hurt and no insults are necessary. Thanks

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is the joint screw on your Lambros?

It’s an Ultra Joint II with Radial.

I had two thoughts in my head in that I suppose 3/8-10 would be fine, but in my mind I was thinking that I wouldnt change it to 3/8-10 flat face.

Freddie <~~~ likes a good joint

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s an Ultra Joint II with Radial.

I had two thoughts in my head in that I suppose 3/8-10 would be fine, but in my mind I was thinking that I wouldnt change it to 3/8-10 flat face.

Freddie <~~~ likes a good joint

Thank you Fred

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have 3/8 x 10 cues as well. If you look up obsolete in the dictionary - cause (a product or idea) to be or become obsolete by replacing it with something new. If you look at the trend these days its moving more toward modified or radial. That is not opinion its a fact. My favorite cue is a regular 3/8 x 10 joint. I asked 2 separate groups of people on this forum there thoughts on the subject because I wanted to hear from the builders and from the players on the subject. I hope no feelings are hurt and no insults are necessary. Thanks

You used the word obsolete to define the word obsolete.

From this players perspective, I see no connection with radial joints and obsoleting the 3/8-10 (or the 3/8-11 for that matter).

In any case, the 3/8-10 isn’t obsolete. If McDermott continues to use them, then there is no obsolescence. Meucci relatively recently added 3/8-10, and this is long after the introduction of the radial pin. And Viking continues to offer 3/8-10. So, by the actual definition of obsolete, that’s not happening.

Freddie

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3/8 x10 Is Still Alive & Well

My favorite joint is the 3/8x10 flat face ivory and only one of the cues in the below
photo has a radial pin.....the rest are 3/8x10 that use a steel, brass or titanium pin.

The pin's metallurgy was based upon the weight of the screw to control butt weight.
If I order another custom, rest assured the joint will use a 3/8x10 screw.. It's #1 IMO.

Matt B.

Attachments

• AZ Photo 005.jpg
    AZ Photo 005.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 186