Verhoeven Table - Heating Issues

Carom Rocky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 18 year old Verhoeven Table. The yellow light turns on immediately when plugged in, but the red light does not turn on. The heat does not turn on at all. The heat control under the table is on high all the way. Could the thermostat be bad? Any help or suggestion would be helpful.

Rocky

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check for a broken circuit by disconnecting the leads into the thermostat and using an ohm-meter to verify the heating wire has not broken under the table. (If the circuit is open you have no choice but to break down the table to get to the heater boxes and find the broken section.) If the circuit is good the thermostat is bad, which is fairly simple to replace. Cross your fingers.

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Rocky,

I want to apologize for not getting back with you. As usual Ron Kilby is spot on. I would have recommended the same thing. I wish you well.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rocky, a further caution. If the heater wire is broken, you CANNOT simply wrap the broken sections together and put the table back together, it will burn out in a new-york minute. The repair must be hard-soldered, high-temp solder only. The wires need to be kept away from each other, they expend when heated and if they touch they burn.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check for a broken circuit by disconnecting the leads into the thermostat and using an ohm-meter to verify the heating wire has not broken under the table. (If the circuit is open you have no choice but to break down the table to get to the heater boxes and find the broken section.) If the circuit is good the thermostat is bad, which is fairly simple to replace. Cross your fingers.

Ron,
What would you think if there's heat but not much and all slates are equally warm.
Thermostat is turned all the way up and the table is just tepid. I forget the resistance reading but an Electrical Eng. thought it was fine although he wanted to know what the it should be. 18ohms sound right?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I forget the resistance reading but an Electrical Eng. thought it was fine although he wanted to know what the it should be. 18ohms sound right?
I think you're better off measuring the current (and thereby the power) the table is using. If in fact the resistance is 18 ohms when the table is operating, the power would be 800 watts which would be about right. I assume you have a 120V version.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob's reply is spot on. The 120 version uses more power than the 220. If the bed temperature is about 10 degrees above room temp, everything is fine. The heating is primarily to reduce humidity (moisture) in the cloth; warmer than that is wasted electrons....