Everest Tips

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got the new Predator LE-4 Roadline cue the other day and it has an Everest tip on it. Most scales that I have seen indicate that Everest would be considered a medium hard tip with a rating of around 75. Yet the Everest tip on this Predator seems more on the soft side to me. I would almost compare it to the pressed Elkmaster tips that I have on some of my other cues.

So, is this normal for an Everest? Are they slightly more on the medium soft side of the scale?

r/DCP

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They feel a little soft to me, I don't care for them. I just switched from an Everest to a Wizard medium on my Jacoby Hybrid Edge shaft and immediately noticed a firmer hit with the switch.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I thought it was a fairly soft tip when I played with one, but I didn't particularly like it because its playing characteristics changed rapidly over just a few weeks. It became much harder.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I've had a couple of OB shafts that came with the standard Everest tip. They felt medium to medium-hard to me, but I'm a soft-tip kind of guy (Kamui Super Soft and UltraSkin Soft).

I still have an Everest on an OB2 and enjoy playing with it occassionally just to remember what a harder tip feels like...but I also play out some racks with my break cue (Samarsa break tip) for the same reason.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, the Everest feels a little on the soft side of medium. It's a decent tip, and I've played with them for a while, but recently wanted to try something different and switched to a softer tip (the Kamui Clear Black Soft).

Buddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everest came on my Predator also,very soft tip.Went to my normal tip Kamui Black Clear Soft and its for sure a little harder and tremendously better

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My "medium" Everest could cut a diamond.

... And I forgot to add, my Moori "medium" could split my Everest in two.

cpcntr

Registered
My "medium" Everest could cut a diamond.

... And I forgot to add, my Moori "medium" could split my Everest in two.

Ahah, my 7 y.o moori m at my backup cue can press to a pancake both yr tips) im thinking about use it to peck some cable channels in concrete walls at home :grin-square:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I do not like the Everest tip, especially since it is being marketed as a performance tip. It is in fact a low performance layered tip and you can have much better tips cheaper. Since I've owned a lot of different cues, I've tried a lot of them, they always seem to come with the Predator shafts, McDermott G-Cores etc, and there seems to be some variance in the quality of these tips. When the Everest is good it's not unlike a Moori M in feel (hardness). Sadly it does feel more dead than a Moori M, and it glazes over record fast. I've also had a couple of Everest tips that were so bad they were unplayable. Chalk would not stick to them, it was the weirdest thing. They were both on McDermott cues and they felt rock hard as well, that may be a coincidence, but I don't know.

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
I've had no issues with the everest tips I've used in the past but do not consider them a medium to hard tip, softer end of medium.