Practicing when in a bad mood

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How well are players out here able to practice when in a bad mood or heavily distracted by life problems?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I need to be well rested to play my best. When I used to have stress at work I had a hard time playing well. If negative things are in your mind, it's awful hard to stay focused.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
practice

It can be challenging to practice when in a bad mood. That might be upset or distracted, or just not highly motivated. Let's face it, competitors love the adrenaline of tournaments and money matches, it can be hard to get fired up to practice a line drill after a day's work. As a result, the level of play can be pretty low quality.

I have a table at home, so sometimes all I need to do is take a short break. I can return to it again 30-60 minutes later and might be more up to the task at hand. Other times I get determined to grind it out.

One thing that has really helped me was a breakthrough I had about 10 years ago. I used to despise practice or playing for fun because I never played my best game. I would get careless or lazy in ways I never would in a money match. But then I realized that even though it's due to lack of engagement, I was still making mistakes! Why those particular mistakes instead of others? I started to pay closer attention, and sure enough the errors I was making were similar to the ways I might dog it under pressure.

The bottom line is that my game has strong suits and weak links. While it's not fun to be disengaged, errors from lack of engagement still highlight the weak links in our game. For this reason practicing is always valuable, and if I am making mistakes I no longer say "I would've made that if I was gambling", but instead "Hm, I might have dogged that if I was betting a lot, maybe I should work on that shot". Then I'll make myself shoot it for a while to make sure there is a constructive consequence for my lack of effort.

It's really satisfying to outwork a bad session and end up in stroke. And even though it doesn't always happen, the work you put in makes a difference when you really need it to. So while I occasionally back down from a bad session (at least temporarily), I think hours on the table are a good thing no matter how ugly it looks at times. I think the concern about reinforcing bad habits is mostly a cop out. If you want to win you have to put in the work. If I only practiced when I felt like it and how I felt like it I don't think I'd play as well.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
For some of us, playing pool is a good way to unwind and relieve the pressures we encounter in our daily lives. Pool can actually be a stress reliever and a salve for a troubled mind. Sometimes when I'm unsure about something or what I should do, I just hit the balls around and see what comes up. I don't even think about it for awhile. More often than not a solution will appear almost magically.

Last edited:

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I agree with Jay, pool is my escape from all that BS..put all that bs in your pool case it'll still be there when you're done...

pool played well is an exercise in not thinking it takes some practice to get to that point.

but it's worth it both mentally and performance wise.. Intentionally try to not think... just do..

good luck

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For some of us, playing pool is a good way to unwind and relieve the pressures we encounter in our daily lives. Pool can actually be a stress reliever and a salve for a troubled mind. Sometimes when I'm unsure about something or what I should do, I just hit the balls around and see what comes up. I don't even think about it for awhile. More often than not a solution will appear almost magically.

Tap tap tap!

It was my escape from a world of shit as a kid, and has remained that well into my 40s. :thumbup:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I don't do it.
I warm up for 10-15mins before I start my practice. If I'm in a bad mood and things aren't going well I try again later.

j13smiley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep... this...

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I record every one of my practice sessions in Excel. There is a significant difference in the results when I am in a bad or troubled mood. My results rarely improve significantly during such a session but my mood is usually better towards the end of it.

I believe from a standpoint of advancing your own game it is not such a great idea to practice while in a really bad mood. However, if you don't play pool only to see huge success it can be rewarding to play even if you don't expect good results in a particular session. It can be a soothing experience for the mind.

I also noticed another issue. Getting older I become susceptible to weather changes a lot more. This results in headaches which can last for hours. Strangely enough, if I go downstairs to the pool room I usually forget about the headache and after about 15 minutes it is gone. Same happens when I ride the bicycle or any other activity resulting in forgetting the headache. So, practicing pool can be way better than any Aspirin although the practice results themselves on such a day might be subpar.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Ive practiced in a bad mood but it also seems to perpetuate the bad mood as things normally dont go well. I still push through it though.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've found that a couple AnchorSteams and a lil' "Colorado shrubbery" does wonders for my disposition and lets me have fun at the table. Your mileage may vary. ;)

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Personally, I have to feel right to play right. I can force myself to get up and get to the
table, but that's not always the most productive time spent there. I can't have just had a
big meal or be angry, I can't be tired or have a headache, I just have to feel right.
I can unwind there after a long day or after something intense, have a brew, knock the
balls around a bit, but still it needs to feel good.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practicing without full concentration only promotes bad pool playing habits.

everyone is different, but for me the above is true.....I can tell within ten minutes if my mind is not into playing pool, and I'm better off walking away from the table, than reinforcing bad habits...…

sometimes an hour break will be enough to change my focus, other times I need to stay away for a day.....

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I dont pick up the cue if things are rough. i wish i could leave my problems at the door and shot pool to unwind or get in the zone once the chalk hits the tip. but the reality is - if I had a bad day or there is lots going on, there is absolutely no point for me to even drive to the pool hall.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't do it... I have to have my mind clear to play
or practice. I have to do something physical to
get out of a funk, run or workout.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

yes ...i agree....:thumbup: