A different idea for a pool room

Ruark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like many of the "ideas" for widening the appeal and increasing participation levels of pool are pretty much the same. The objective of many of them appears to be to draw in as many people and their dogs as possible. I'd like to describe a different approach, just to hear your response, if nothing else.

The purpose is to appeal to more educated, professional, upscale consumers, the ones who have money, but aren't going to hang out in some smoky "pool hall" instead of going to their Yoga lessons or tennis clinics. Just some points, in no particular order, and by no means is this intended to be some complete "business plan"!

The pool room is nice. Nice tables with plenty of room between them. Upscale decor. No smoking, of course. No hip-hop or rap crap playing in the background.

Playing there is for members only. Membership is $120 a year, payable only in one sum, not "$10 a month." This would weed out most of the riff-raff. There is still a nominal per-minute charge for a table, of course.

Borrow an idea from municipal tennis, which spends a LOT of time attracting new players. Once or twice a week, have a free clinic for 30-45 minutes. Then the participants pair up and play each other for practice.

Have the same thing just for female players - a "ladies only" clinic, typically on a weekday morning. Muny tennis courts have these, and they're usually packed with bored housewives. On Saturday mornings, have a clinic for the younger members.

Borrow an idea from martial arts schools. Advertise and offer, for non-members, a free one-hour group lesson, followed by an hour of complimentary coached play and a discounted membership fee if they sign up then. Put cards ("coupons") on checkout counters everywhere, especially in the neighborhood. Give discounts on pool supplies - cues, etc., and maybe coordinate with a local pool table dealer for discounts on purchases there if you're a member.

Of course, food and drink would need to be worked into the operation in some nice, attractive way.

A key PR person would be the resident pro. He would be responsible for leading the clinics, fitting cues, giving private lessons, etc. And this would need to be somebody who walked and talked sharp and professional, not some schmuck who hasn't shaved in 3 days, wears a shirt that looks like he slept in it, and starts every sentence with "hey, man, like, you know..." Same goes for any other personnel.

Location would also be a critical factor, and obviously this approach wouldn't work in smaller towns where there's simply not enough population mass to support it.

How many of you would patronize something like this? I certainly would. The idea is to simply increase the quality of the overall pool-playing experience, and to make various aspects of it more attractive and enjoyable.

Anyway, just an idea.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious to know about smoking in pool halls around the nation. I've seen several threads that refer to this and your post reminded me about it. I reside in California and pool halls have been smoke free in my state for years. It was a blessing and no one seems to mind at all. You come home without the stench of tobacco smoke on your clothes or person. The pool halls are cleaner and remain that way with less effort. The optics for shooting pool improve so much more and overall, it's just a much nicer place to just hang out.

I guess I've taken that for granted and I'm amazed to read that smoke filled pool halls even still exist with everything we know about smoke free restaurants, movies, planes, airports, shopping malls, etc. I thought America had advanced a lot more the last decade in terms of tobacco free environments. That's too bad for everyone that has to play in pool halls where smoking is condoned or allowed. Playing pool in a pool hall with clean air is something everyone is entitled to enjoying and once you do, you'll campaign for voluntary compliance by the pool hall operator........smoke free pool is the only way to play the game. I mean we're not back in the era of "Cornbread Red" pool.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I'm curious to know about smoking in pool halls around the nation. I've seen several threads that refer to this and your post reminded me about it. I reside in California and pool halls have been smoke free in my state for years. It was a blessing and no one seems to mind at all. You come home without the stench of tobacco smoke on your clothes or person. The pool halls are cleaner and remain that way with less effort. The optics for shooting pool improve so much more and overall, it's just a much nicer place to just hang out.

I guess I've taken that for granted and I'm amazed to read that smoke filled pool halls even still exist with everything we know about smoke free restaurants, movies, planes, airports, shopping malls, etc. I thought America had advanced a lot more the last decade in terms of tobacco free environments. That's too bad for everyone that has to play in pool halls where smoking is condoned or allowed. Playing pool in a pool hall with clean air is something everyone is entitled to enjoying and once you do, you'll campaign for voluntary compliance by the pool hall operator........smoke free pool is the only way to play the game. I mean we're not back in the era of "Cornbread Red" pool.

Even though I smoke I agree we are entitled to clean air, this goes for outside too but I dont think you will find much of it around our larger cities. Going abroad is horrible, I was watching an F1 race from India a couple weeks ago and you could not see the cars on tv from a 1/4 mile away.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
It seems like many of the "ideas" for widening the appeal and increasing participation levels of pool are pretty much the same. The objective of many of them appears to be to draw in as many people and their dogs as possible. I'd like to describe a different approach, just to hear your response, if nothing else.

The purpose is to appeal to more educated, professional, upscale consumers, the ones who have money, but aren't going to hang out in some smoky "pool hall" instead of going to their Yoga lessons or tennis clinics. Just some points, in no particular order, and by no means is this intended to be some complete "business plan"!

The pool room is nice. Nice tables with plenty of room between them. Upscale decor. No smoking, of course. No hip-hop or rap crap playing in the background.

Playing there is for members only. Membership is $120 a year, payable only in one sum, not "$10 a month." This would weed out most of the riff-raff. There is still a nominal per-minute charge for a table, of course.

Borrow an idea from municipal tennis, which spends a LOT of time attracting new players. Once or twice a week, have a free clinic for 30-45 minutes. Then the participants pair up and play each other for practice.

Have the same thing just for female players - a "ladies only" clinic, typically on a weekday morning. Muny tennis courts have these, and they're usually packed with bored housewives. On Saturday mornings, have a clinic for the younger members.

Borrow an idea from martial arts schools. Advertise and offer, for non-members, a free one-hour group lesson, followed by an hour of complimentary coached play and a discounted membership fee if they sign up then. Put cards ("coupons") on checkout counters everywhere, especially in the neighborhood. Give discounts on pool supplies - cues, etc., and maybe coordinate with a local pool table dealer for discounts on purchases there if you're a member.

Of course, food and drink would need to be worked into the operation in some nice, attractive way.

A key PR person would be the resident pro. He would be responsible for leading the clinics, fitting cues, giving private lessons, etc. And this would need to be somebody who walked and talked sharp and professional, not some schmuck who hasn't shaved in 3 days, wears a shirt that looks like he slept in it, and starts every sentence with "hey, man, like, you know..." Same goes for any other personnel.

Location would also be a critical factor, and obviously this approach wouldn't work in smaller towns where there's simply not enough population mass to support it.

How many of you would patronize something like this? I certainly would. The idea is to simply increase the quality of the overall pool-playing experience, and to make various aspects of it more attractive and enjoyable.

Anyway, just an idea.

It sounds like a great idea, I wonder how tough or how long it may take for people to realize that it wouldnt be the same as the old smoke filled rooms with less than desirable people hanging around. I would definately belong to something like that if it was near me even though I have a very nice table at home, I would even be happy to pay higher yearly fees for something like this.

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
We have a pool hall like your upscale idea here in Bellevue, WA. They took down their snooker room to make a comedy club and it has been incredibly popular.

http://www.parlorbilliards.com/

Bellevue, for those who don't know, is adjacent to Seattle and Redmond, WA and home to a few small corporations (Starbucks, Microsoft, Boeing, Warehouser, etc). The location is quite good for the clients they want. With over 1,000 different millionaires within 10 miles and an average household income of over $1M within 1 mile of the Parlor, it caters to its demographic.

I don't know much about Evant, TX (except it probably has some good BBQ and steaks) but you should do some demographic research into your area and tailor the pricing and class level to your intended market rather than just an idea (unsure if you have already conducted this research, so it was not intended as an insult).

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a pool hall like your upscale idea here in Bellevue, WA. They took down their snooker room to make a comedy club and it has been incredibly popular.

http://www.parlorbilliards.com/

Bellevue, for those who don't know, is adjacent to Seattle and Redmond, WA and home to a few small corporations (Starbucks, Microsoft, Boeing, Warehouser, etc). The location is quite good for the clients they want. With over 1,000 different millionaires within 10 miles and an average household income of over $1M within 1 mile of the Parlor, it caters to its demographic.

I don't know much about Evant, TX (except it probably has some good BBQ and steaks) but you should do some demographic research into your area and tailor the pricing and class level to your intended market rather than just an idea (unsure if you have already conducted this research, so it was not intended as an insult).

Wow that place looks cool. How is it really?

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I would definitely be interested in such a concept. I would say you maybe be even able to offer tiers of membership that may include unlimited table time or a lessons package. That sounds like my dream room. Almost more like a men's club (read NOT the same meaning as "gentleman's club").

Ruark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know much about Evant, TX (except it probably has some good BBQ and steaks) but you should do some demographic research into your area and tailor the pricing and class level to your intended market.

Heh, no, we live on a small ranch several miles from Evant, which is basically "a little wide spot in the road." Unfortunately, I have neither the capital nor the motivation to open such an operation as I described.

Can't say much about that Bellevue place; that's WAY out on the other extreme!

Last edited:

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
I like the idea. I think pool's image needs a face lift. You might not be able to change it, but you could make an island pool paradise.

You could also offer "family memberships" at a lower - per person - rate.

You have to make the name of the place convey what you are trying to do, something like...

Ruark's Upscale Pool Parlor

And you have to be sure the advertising convey's what you are trying to do...

"This is Ruark's mister, no rap, no cigarettes, no hustlers, just pool."

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member

The Parlor really is as nice as it looks and it is a great place for recreation and business meetings providing you have the funds. When I first moved to Bellevue I had a Corporate apartment one block away. One of the reasons I would go there is that I didn't have to pay rent so I had a few extra dollars.

The Parlor also hosts many of the NWPA events and does have some in-house pool related functions that support pool. However, they are also very strict on gambling so it is not a place that you would go to looking to find open action.

Edit: I just want to clarify that my statement about gambling wasn't meant as a negative one. I am sure that this is in their best interest given their clientele and overall business goals and provides a very enjoyable environment.

Last edited:

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member

Forgot to mention a little ma' and pa' online retailer, Amazon.com. They are based in Seattle as well. With about 20,000-30,000 employees now.

The place (Parlor) is very nice. Unfortunately it doesn't get very much serious billiards action. At 33, i'd be one of the older people in there on a weekend.

The local pro is (2008 US Open 9-ball champion and trick shot champion) Dan Louie. He is one of the nicest and most generous players you'll ever meet!

Parlor does not allow any teams or leagues to play out of their location so it ends up being mostly well to do Microsoft employees blowing off steam after work, or a night-club environment on the weekends for the 20 somethings with cash to burn.

Rates are typical for the income levels of the area. $12 hr weekdays and $17 hr weekends. All of their gear is very well maintained by their shop manager, Dave.

The lack of league teams is reflective in their prices and frankly, nobody shooting on a weekly basis would want to stump up what their green fees and drink prices would be. (although I would LOVE to have my team shoot there, it would be brutal on some of the other players who live paycheck to paycheck)

Ruark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you don't mind if I describe the antithesis of the OP. A couple of years ago, I was doing a motorcycle ride out in West Texas (no, I don't have the bike any more). There was a Fast Eddie's a few blocks from the motel, so I thought that would be a good place to hang out in the three evenings I was going to be in town.

So I go in. Now, I was about 60, graying hair, 6' tall, in black biker leathers, my chopper parked right in the front door. Mental image there.

$5 cover to get in. The place is packed, and apparently I'm the only one over 25. Some hiphop crap was blasting at max volume; I had to yell at the waitress for a drink. I found a table, ordered a 'rita and started to play, already getting negative vibes from the place.

At the table on one side, 4 GBDA's (great big dumb ass) were slamming the balls around, knocking them off the table, guzzling cheap beer and yahooing. One GBDA had the habit of stepping back 2 or 3 steps after each shot. Big, ragged, dirty jeans, and an old faded t-shirt. About 6'2" 250 lbs.

So I'm leaning over my table, carefully lining up a long, delicate shot, when THUUDDDD, this GBDA backs his massive carcass into me, knocking me flat onto my table, and of course rearranging all my balls. Of course he was apologetic... "oh, man, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry..." He was a nice old boy... his problem was that he was just a GBDA. This happened two more times in the hour I was there. Just lining up a shot, and THUUUDDDDD. Time to re-rack, after I pulled my cue out of my navel.

On the opposite side of my table was another demographic: hispanic teenage low-riders. Baggy shorts, sleeveless t-shirts, baseball caps and a permanent frown. There were about 10 of them. 2 were playing, hitting every shot like they were trying to shatter the cue ball. The others sat around the table trying to frown correctly and look both tough and cool at the same time. Half of them were young girls with cheap pancake makeup, just sitting there on display, unable to afford a drink of water, much less play pool. Given my rather unique visual presentation, they took turns trying different facial expressions to throw my way, none of them achieving any notable result.

Similar creatures populated the other tables. UFC fights were on the TVs.

Is this a successful pool room? Absolutely. It's packed regularly, makes a lot of money, does a lot of business.

Would I play pool there? No. Uh, no. No. I spent the rest of my evenings checking out steak houses, going to movies, etc.

Last edited:

Ruark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The place (Parlor) is very nice. Unfortunately it doesn't get very much serious billiards action. At 33, i'd be one of the older people in there on a weekend.

The local pro is (2008 US Open 9-ball champion and trick shot champion) Dan Louie. He is one of the nicest and most generous players you'll ever meet!

Parlor does not allow any teams or leagues to play out of their location so it ends up being mostly well to do Microsoft employees blowing off steam after work, or a night-club environment on the weekends for the 20 somethings with cash to burn.

That's interesting.. sort of a contradiction: they have nice tables, hire a world-class professional, etc. yet don't have "serious" pool. It sounds to me like one of those places that's really something else (comedy club, karaoke, bar, etc.) and just has some pool tables on the side.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
I hope you don't mind if I describe the antithesis of the OP. A couple of years ago, I was doing a motorcycle ride out in West Texas (no, I don't have the bike any more). There was a Fast Eddie's a few blocks from the motel...

Funny thing about your story is that there was probably not a soul in the place that understood the "Fast Eddie" reference in the name of the establishment.

Fatz

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
"I mean we're not back in the era of "Cornbread Red" pool."

one thing's for sure, in "cornbreads day" they weren't worried about reinventing the pool room. They were too busy making money running pool rooms.

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member

Anyway, just an idea.

Great idea, wrong decade. Or century. You might not like it, but attracting those masses and their dogs is the key step one. We need to have quantity in order to build quality upon it.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at 120 a year, sign me up. the old hall where i used to work was 80 a month and it was in the bad side of town

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Or, one of the bars that we played Scotch at on Thur nights, after 8 pm, the waitresses would strip down to their panties and bras or bathing suits.

Yeah, much to my dismay, I played Scotch with my wife on Thurs.
That definitely cut down on my staring time.

Do that in a pool hall and guaranteed that your numbers will double a couple of times a week.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the waitresses made decent tips.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP is a great idea and I would frequent a place like that. The question is would there be enough like minded people in your area to keep a place like that running???

My pool hall idea is to do a laundry mat/ bar/ pool room near a college or military installation...It wouldnt be near as classy as the OP's idea but I think it would generate revenue. When I was in the army I always went to this one laundry mat that had a beat up old bar box just because it gave me something to do while I waited for my wash to cycle and dry (others in the area used that particular laundry mat for the same reason). The washers and dryers in the barracks sucked and there werent enough of them so you were constantly waiting to was your uniforms/clothes. I'm sure the same is true with a lot of college dormitories.