World Cup 2008 - Hurghada, Egypt

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tournament just ended with Dani Sanchez taking first place. Complete results are available at http://www.umb.org/ausschreibung/ausschreibung_detail_umb.php?lang=en&ID=223.

There were several surprise results. Zanetti creamed Jaspers 3-1 averaging 2.6 to Jaspers 1.6. Jaspers wound up in 12th place. Blomdahl lost 3-2 in the same round to Jozef Philipoom of Belgian, and finished 9th. But the biggest shock was that Peter De Backer, who had made it to the semi-finals against Sanchez by beating Zanetti, was apparently disqualified! I have not been able to find out why he was disqualified. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

3cPlayer

"ANNOUNCEMENT 22.11.2008

Hurghada, 21st November, 2008

On Friday 21st November at 22.00 UMB has been informed about a positive case concerning the WADA Anti-Doping Regulations.

Following Anti-Doping tests made during the World Championship Three Cushion at St. Wendel (Germany) last month, player PETER DE BACKER has been tested positive on one of the products listed on the WADA Anti-Doping list 2008.

Consequently to this occurrence the player is immediately and momentarily suspended from all international and national competitions.

As a consequence of this suspension the player can not continue to participate in the ongoing Hurghada World Cup competition 2008.

Jean-Claude Dupont
President UMB"

Source: www.umb.org

JStarkweather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
......WOW!? Really? I didn't know they drug tested players. Although I never tried playing 3C on anything, I might reconsider if it helps me break my 7 high run... LOL.:wink:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JStarkweather said:
......WOW!? Really? I didn't know they drug tested players. Although I never tried playing 3C on anything, I might reconsider if it helps me break my 7 high run... LOL.:wink:
Part of being recognized by the IOC is complying with the policies of WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency, google is your friend) which include random testing of athletes who compete in international events. I've been told that the testing may also be applied to officials.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TEST them, then test them again before it becomes like baseball!! Look at all the records set while under the influence of performance enhancing products.. It is a shame really!! JMO!!!
Dan

JStarkweather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Performance enhancing? What drug makes you run 15's? JK. I agree with the rules stated though, players should abide by them like any other sport. One black mark for the 3C world. :frown:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JStarkweather said:
Performance enhancing? What drug makes you run 15's? JK. I agree with the rules stated though, players should abide by them like any other sport. One black mark for the 3C world. :frown:
There are two classes of WADA-listed drugs that I can think of that might be a problem. One is "recreational" and the other is beta blockers. One other problem might be random drugs like for asthma that are banned in some sports but wouldn't really apply to cue sports, but might be applied anyway. I think that the WADA list is sport-specific for some of the drugs.

At one time beta blockers were used by some pro snooker players, IIRC.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BINGO BOB!! There are drugs that will calm your nerves, keep you awake, and some that will just rot your teeth! If they are on the list and found in use then the person should be disqualified.
Dan

JuanAntonio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One sleeping pill contain "metabloqueantes" (I dont know how write this in english, Im sorry).
The substance can lock your nerves and make you be more quiet.

This can happen by mistake, and players must be very careful.

Im sorry because Peter is a great player.