Dick Jaspers' High Run in World Games

gcgaryyoyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dick Jaspers just beat Daniel Sanchez in the semi-final of 2009 Kaohsiung World Games, trailing from 16-26 and ran a 22:eek: and finished the match with a 40-26 score. He will face the legend Torbjorn Blomdahl in the finals!

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you! Does anyone else think that table is playing short? (Jaspers certainly adjusted to it.)

Mark

Edit: Robert and I were typing at just the same time, and wound up saying exactly the same things!

Robert Raiford

The Voice of CaromTV
Silver Member
Thank you! Does anyone else think that table is playing short? (Jaspers certainly adjusted to it.)

Mark

Edit: Robert and I were typing at just the same time, and wound up saying exactly the same things!

Haha! I guess I'm not the only one. Great minds think alike, eh Mark? Or equally disturbed ones, anyway... ;)

jimshovak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robert,

Don't you mean "high-friction" and not "short", as we have previously discussed?

To those uninitiated, on a high-friction table (short, dirty, no slide), we frequently refer to it as a "short" table, since many typical shots such as the break shot or a 5 rail shot to the corner come up short of the intended target. However, even on a "short" table, there are certain shots that actually play "long" on the short table, such as certain short-angle and long-angle shots. The same is true on a "long", sliding table. We refer to it as "long", but if you play a ball-first natural and you hit a 1/2 ball or more, the shot actually plays "shorter" than usual. That is why Robert mentioned to me that the ideal terms were "high-friction" (short) and "low-friction" (long, sliding). I grudgingly agreed with him, as I hate to tell him he is right. His head is too big already.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robert,

Don't you mean "high-friction" and not "short", as we have previously discussed?

To those uninitiated, on a high-friction table (short, dirty, no slide), we frequently refer to it as a "short" table, since many typical shots such as the break shot or a 5 rail shot to the corner come up short of the intended target. However, even on a "short" table, there are certain shots that actually play "long" on the short table, such as certain short-angle and long-angle shots. The same is true on a "long", sliding table. We refer to it as "long", but if you play a ball-first natural and you hit a 1/2 ball or more, the shot actually plays "shorter" than usual. That is why Robert mentioned to me that the ideal terms were "high-friction" (short) and "low-friction" (long, sliding). I grudgingly agreed with him, as I hate to tell him he is right. His head is too big already.

OK Jim

Show me some diagrams. I'm not following you on this one. Maybe I'm not initiated yet.

Robert Raiford

The Voice of CaromTV
Silver Member
Robert,

Just checking to see if you're paying attention, Jim! ;)

I actually almost wrote high-friction (or "sticky") instead, but figured we had so much fun discussing it a while back that I I'd skip the controversy this time around and use the expected term. Besides, that's what I knew Mark was going to write so I had to get it in there first :)

As for those wondering about Jim's reference, here's a link to the online part of our discussion:

the great long vs short controversy of '08

I grudgingly agreed with him, as I hate to tell him he is right. His head is too big already.

That's just an illusion due to a rapidly receding hairline. So then, what's your excuse? ;)

Robert

stevea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great run, Thanks for sharing!!

I recently had the opportunity to play this great game with Bill Smith in Ft. Pierce, it was a lot of fun and he took the time to show me a lot of the basic shots. Now I'm practicing in the Tampa Area!