Key West Pool Rooms

Drj1000

I am writing a book about the Florida Keys in the 1960's , does any one know about the blue heaven billiard parlor of any other pool rooms in Key West in the 60's or early 70's I am looking for details

Thank you,

Jerry

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am writing a book about the Florida Keys in the 1960's , does any one know about the blue heaven billiard parlor of any other pool rooms in Key West in the 60's or early 70's I am looking for details

Thank you,

Jerry
I used to drive down there about once of twice a month off and on to play. There was quit bit of action there at one point. This was around 1972 thru maybe 1977. The best player there was Hector Parra, not sure of the spelling. Most all of the action was in bars though. There was another guy there called "Cocky", I think he was related to Hector but didn't play as well and could be a problem if you played him.

Hector hung out at the Boat bar most of the time from what I remember. There was also action at the Boca Chica bar on Stock Island. The owner Ray, we called him "Boca Chica Ray" was a decent player there but got on the players radar and players began going down there and trapping him. The only pool room I really remember was called something like the Cue n Brew. It had full sized tables but I never saw any action there.

You need to track down anyone of the Parra family who is related to Hector and you will have the main line on pool in Key West in those days. They were pretty well known there and have been there for generations. Heck, Hector may still be alive, he would be in his late 70's I would guess. If he is and his head still works you will find everything you are looking for.

It used to be wild down there. I remember one night playing a guy one time at the Raceway bar and I had some friends with me who were from NY. I'm playing this guy who looks like just a pirate and is wearing a sword with another big knife sticking out of his waistband. I am gambling with this guy by the way. Nothing happened, but my friends were completely freaked out. After one night they had seen enough, they wanted to drive back to Miami.

Last edited:

sparkdr220

Registered
Blue Heaven is a restaurant now. (The lobster omelette is incredible).Google Blue Heaven Key West. The menu has a brief history and a phone number. If you contact the restaurant, they might be able to put you in touch with a local for more details. Many of the locals enjoy talking about their history.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Blue Heaven is a restaurant now. (The lobster omelette is incredible).Google Blue Heaven Key West. The menu has a brief history and a phone number. If you contact the restaurant, they might be able to put you in touch with a local for more details. Many of the locals enjoy talking about their history.

Friends of mine owned Blue Heaven years ago, they never mentioned the history of the place. Guess I never mentioned that I play pool.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stick and stein? It was closed a few months ago when I was there, I think for good.
Heard the construction on the road did them in, hope I'm wrong.
In my comments I said Cue & Brew but I was thinking of the Stick & Stein. I knew the name was something like that.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beer n balls?

Thats funny, but I am going back 40 years. It was something like Cue & Brew or Stick & Stein but now I have Keg & Cue in my head so my memory is getting more confused. It was on I think Roosevelt right near the Sportsman Lodge (Probably does not exist anymore). I used to stay there most of the time if I didn't have my RV. If I wanted to go off I would stay at the La Concha.

JeaLouS44

Awesome John
Silver Member
Key west.........

HECTOR PARRA is correct. He is still alive. He is my mentor.
Cocky is his brother.
Stick and Stein closed in June of 2013. Was not the road construction, More on that in private.
There is only one public place left down here.
Coconuts on Big Pine Key. 3-- 9' old gold crowns.
If you would like my information PM me be happy to help.
Get you in touch with Hector, etc.

JeaLouS44

Awesome John
Silver Member
Pool Halls

7-11 pool room, 711 Duval, was owned by Hector 's father, Charles
The Green Room, was open 24 hours, 200 block of Duval
Cue Time, on Flagler St.
Jack’s Pool Room, 600 block of Duval St.

Last edited:

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Key west rooms

Key West does have a history with pool rooms and Players. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Hector Parra and Cocky. Hector is alive and well, and can be found some days playing in the new and only pool room in KW - Shooterz. Cocky was his brother, now passed. A third contact down here with knowledge of the old days would be Billy Williams - found most days before 4PM in Shooterz. Hector and his wife would be the most reliable source by far....and he has some great stories.

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would like to read that when it's done. Lived on a boat in Tavernier in the 70's. good times......