I want to have a cue butt diameter reduced-ONLY THE

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Butt sleeve-
" butt is pretty thick at the sleeve-
i want to reduce the sleeve-then have the wrap ditch recut and tapered into the point where it starts at the forearm ....
" any concerns ???????????????
Thanks!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It's gonna be expensive .
Will need a new finish. And a new wrap of course .
And you hope the joint screw is dead straight .

And hope the butt taper is not some exotic curved or funky taper that is hard to match.
In a perfect world, handle taper is around .012" to .015" per inch.
But some can get crazy.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
it's gonna be expensive .
Will need a new finish. And a new wrap of course .
And you hope the joint screw is dead straight .

And hope the butt taper is not some exotic curved or funky taper that is hard to match.
In a perfect world, handle taper is around .012" to .015" per inch.
But some can get crazy.

pretty straight butt taper-
all i need to refin is the sleeve-which i will do....
Will need a new butt cap and a wrap-

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
pretty straight butt taper-
all i need to refin is the sleeve-which i will do....
Will need a new butt cap and a wrap-

Well, you're also shrinking the handle diameter by cutting a new wrap groove

New buttcap? Hopefully not? Just use a super sharp cutter and take your time.

New wrap? Absolutely

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Did you know. They even mount routers on the lathe now. :cool:
I just couldn't resist. :grin:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member

New wrap? Absolutely

. I agree with Mike.
Use the lathe.
Take it to your taper machine.
Offset the bottom so the taper comes down on the sleeve.
No need to make wrap groove shallower near the forearm.
Better use math and dial indicator to figure out the offset.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope you use a router bit in cutting, not dial indicator.
:D

" I use the dial indicator to assure cue is turning evenly , No runout or off center"

" I use a carbide tipped MANUAL CAN OPENER To complete any cutting that needs to be done :eek:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Butt sleeve-
" butt is pretty thick at the sleeve-
i want to reduce the sleeve-then have the wrap ditch recut and tapered into the point where it starts at the forearm ....
" any concerns ???????????????
Thanks!

The only major concern would be if there are inlays in the butt. They could cut out on the edges.

JC

Coos Cues
Unless you are going to re taper the entire cue it's not going to have a linear taper anyway.

I can envision accomplishing what you want without messing with the wrap at all as long as what Chris said there are no inlays down there. Unless it's also the handle that you want reduced and not just the butt sleeve.

JC

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Unless you are going to re taper the entire cue it's not going to have a linear taper anyway.

I can envision accomplishing what you want without messing with the wrap at all as long as what Chris said there are no inlays down there. Unless it's also the handle that you want reduced and not just the butt sleeve.

JC

I consider a dual-angle butt still linear.
Several makers do them that way to keep the buttsleeve and bottom half of the handle slim while maintaining a relatively thick A-joint section.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I consider a dual-angle butt still linear.
Several makers do them that way to keep the buttsleeve and bottom half of the handle slim while maintaining a relatively thick A-joint section.

RIGHT …
I want JUST the butt sleeve made smaller-
and re taper the ditch-wrap to meet the existing spec at the top of the wrap groove

JC

Coos Cues
RIGHT …
I want JUST the butt sleeve made smaller-
and re taper the ditch-wrap to meet the existing spec at the top of the wrap groove

If you start at the thin end of the butt sleeve next to the wrap groove and take zero off there I see no reason to mess with the wrap groove if you're ok with the OD of the handle. Unless I'm missing something in your description of what you want to accomplish.

In fact I think this whole job could be done with a little patience with nothing more than sand paper and a caliper and of course a lathe. Nice and easy does it. Probably won't even take long.

JC

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
If you start at the thin end of the butt sleeve next to the wrap groove and take zero off there I see no reason to mess with the wrap groove if you're ok with the OD of the handle. Unless I'm missing something in your description of what you want to accomplish.

In fact I think this whole job could be done with a little patience with nothing more than sand paper and a caliper and of course a lathe. Nice and easy does it. Probably won't even take long.

JC
Once you take down the butt sleeve, the bottom wrap channel will now be too shallow.
Let's assume he wants 1/2 MM to be taken down, at least. I don't see how it would be worth the trouble at less than that.
He will need to take out that 1/2 mm at bottom part of the handle too.
Too much to sand Imo.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Once you take down the butt sleeve, the bottom wrap channel will now be too shallow.
Let's assume he wants 1/2 MM to be taken down, at least. I don't see how it would be worth the trouble at less than that.
He will need to take out that 1/2 mm at bottom part of the handle too.
Too much to sand Imo.

He's thinking the OP just wants the sleeve and ONLY the sleeve smaller BUT it seems thats not actually what the OP wants. I think he may want the whole back half, from the forearm side of the wrap down which would mean the wrap channel has to be re-cut as well... If it were just the sleeve I get what the other member is saying. No need to re-cut the wrap groove then.. Start your taper at the front of the sleeve "0" and taper backwards...(Taper angle NOT to scale..LOL)

Attachments

• Butt Taper jpg.jpg
    Butt Taper jpg.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: JC