World 9 Ball Championship 2017 (9-14 Dec) ,Doha- Winner $30K

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
not true

Main event of biggest pool tournament in world starts tomorrow 9 Dec in Doha, Qatar.

The US Open pays more and has a larger field.
2016 - approx.149 players and $211K prize fund, $50K to the winner
2017 - approx.140 players and $199K prize fund, $40K to the winner

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Main event of biggest pool tournament in world starts tomorrow 9 Dec in Doha, Qatar.

The US Open pays more and has a larger field.
2016 - approx.149 players and $211K prize fund, $50K to the winner
2017 - approx.140 players and $199K prize fund, $40K to the winner

Seriously??? First of all, the field is a lot bigger than 128 players, because you forgot to include the qualifiers stage to reach the last 128 stage. Secondly, since when the biggest prize money define which tournament is the most important one? If that was the case, the Golden League in athletics should be considered way above of Olympics or the World Championships. The 9-ball World Championship was/is/always will be the biggest pool tournament. You don't enter just for the prize money, but mainly for the glory and becoming part of the game's HISTORY. And $30K may not be the biggest prize money but it's still a very tasty paycheck for today's shitty prize money pool has to offer.

Last edited:

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
30K to the winner of the "world championship"? There are bar box events that were in that range if you count the calcutta.

The first place prize was 2-3 times higher in the 2000s LOL

WPA is slipping a bit.
You are absolutely right! They should all stay home and go to some barbox tournaments, way to go!

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flights look to be in the $1000 range each way to and from Doha. Last minute Airbnb is showing $50 per night as the going rate, plus $50-100 per day for food and transportation. Add the entry fee ($500) and it's about a $3000 outlay for someone pinching pennies.

9th to 16th place gets a $3000 payout. Despite the lack of UK and US players and the presence of a bunch of Middle Eastern dead money, there are a ton of Asian and European monsters to get through. So as a business decision it's easy to see why more Americans didn't make the trip.

That said, I'm surprised the Mosconi Cup players weren't driven to take the chance given the possible reward of becoming a world champion.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flights look to be in the $1000 range each way to and from Doha. Last minute Airbnb is showing $50 per night as the going rate, plus $50-100 per day for food and transportation. Add the entry fee ($500) and it's about a $3000 outlay for someone pinching pennies.

9th to 16th place gets a $3000 payout. Despite the lack of UK and US players and the presence of a bunch of Middle Eastern dead money, there are a ton of Asian and European monsters to get through. So as a business decision it's easy to see why more Americans didn't make the trip.

That said, I'm surprised the Mosconi Cup players weren't driven to take the chance given the possible reward of becoming a world champion.

Orcollo chose to pass on this event to play in the Buffalo's 1 pocket tournament. He won and took home about $8000, assuming he bought half of himself in the calcutta. The decision to stay in the U.S. was a no- brainer.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Orcollo chose to pass on this event to play in the Buffalo's 1 pocket tournament. He won and took home about $8000, assuming he bought half of himself in the calcutta. The decision to stay in the U.S. was a no- brainer.

Dennis has big action coming in Vegas next week with JRB. He can win first place in one day!

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
A few dozen players can win this whole thing
But my top 5 picks (not in order) are Wu, Ko Pin Yi, Shaw, Chang Jung Lin, Ouschan :D

I'll go on record right now saying neither Shaw nor Ouschan makes the quarterfinals.

Short Bus Russ

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The players list will not come up for me on that idiotic website. It's slow, and I have a fast computer. I don't get it.

Who are the Americans in the event?

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hunter Lombardo and Robert Hart.

Matches start at 10 am local time (so now?)

Reactions: JAM

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are absolutely right! They should all stay home and go to some barbox tournaments, way to go!

Barbox or not, if you're a pro pool player pool is your business. When running a business at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the bottom line so traveling half way around the world and needing to get 9-16 to just break even and having to go thru a bunch of momsters doesn't sound like a great business decision.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm watching the USA's Robert Hart and unfortunately he's way out of his league vs. Jeffrey Ignacio.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the bottom of the scoring web site:

"© 2006- Copyright by Dariusz Goral All rights reserved 09.12.2017 - 0:24:06 "

2006. For Pete's sake. Is anyone on the entire internet still using a web site from 2006, let alone for tracking and publicizing a purported world championship?

Of course, vBulletin v.4 was released in 2009 and that's not used here...

Last edited: