reversing english

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
I know that when the cueball contacts an object ball the english reverses on the object ball and so on onto each object ball but is it possible to reverse the english on the cueball? I think I have seen trick shot artists do it but not sure? I have tried with a spotted cueball but it seems impossible to me???

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that when the cueball contacts an object ball the english reverses on the object ball and so on onto each object ball but is it possible to reverse the english on the cueball? I think I have seen trick shot artists do it but not sure? I have tried with a spotted cueball but it seems impossible to me???

The reason opposite spin is imparted on the object ball is the cue ball is spinning and it works like a gear. It’s nit “reversing” at all. The cue is imparting spin onto an object ball. There was no spin to “reverse” to begin with on the object ball as it was not in motion.

If I understand what you are asking, an object ball would have to be spinning in order to impart spin on the cue.

I suggest familiarizing yourself with the physics of the game. Look into Dr. Dave’s website. It has just about everything you’d want to know.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In certain cases the CB may imparts a little spin to the OB. Very little if any.

randyg

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not exactly sure if I understand the question but I'll say when u cut a ball to the left and want to use left English on the cueball you need to compensate because cutting the ball will take the spin or possibly "reverse" if you will.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In certain cases the CB may imparts a little spin to the OB. Very little if any.

randyg

I wasn’t even going to get into the fact most of the time there isn’t enough friction between the object ball and the cue ball for spin to be imparted. He seemed confused enough already :eek:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Do you have any videos where you think a trick shot artist reversed the cue ball English? I’d like to take a look to interpret what you’re seeing.

Without additional context, The best I could come up with is contact induced English somehow “reversing” a slight amount of inside English on a cue ball.

-td

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have any videos where you think a trick shot artist reversed the cue ball English? I’d like to take a look to interpret what you’re seeing.

Without additional context, The best I could come up with is contact induced English somehow “reversing” a slight amount of inside English on a cue ball.

-td

Only thing I can imagine is he is seeing a force follow shot or a big draw shot where the cue ball is still sliding and the spin hasn’t taken yet. It gives the illusion of reversing as it’s going in one direction before the spin changes the trajectory.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
English reverses on the cue ball any time it hits an opposing rail....
..like the old ‘check, run, run, run’ position shot a one pocket.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

With the OB inside the pocket.... With topspin on the CB.... I can pocket the OB and
the CB will rebound back off the rail, reverse direction and follow the OB in the hole.
(Like a hound dog after a rabbit). The forward spin doesn't reverse but the CB does.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As others have pointed out, your question is not clear. If it was: "Is it possible for the cue ball to have right side spin at the start of the shot and then have left side spin at the end of the shot?" then the answer is yes. Play a 3-rail kick shot with a little bit of reverse side spin on the first rail.

You can also see spin reversal on tables with sticky cloth by shooting the cue ball up and down the table at a slight angle hitting only the short cushions four times. The cue ball will tend to "walk back" after the second rail due to spin reversal.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As for the transferred spin idea.... The cue ball causes side spin on the object ball on nearly every shot you shoot. Any time the object ball is thrown -- whether by side spin on the cue ball or by cut-induced throw -- there is some corresponding side spin on the object ball. You cannot have throw without induced side spin.

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
finally some great answers

I was waiting for the three rail guys to step-up. vapoolplayer thinks I am confused but he clearly overestimates his knowledge, please tell me more about the reversing three rail kick shots

Last edited:

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was waiting for the three rail guys to step-up. vapoolplayer thinks I am confused but he clearly overestimates his knowledge, please tell me more about the reversing three rail kick shots

So tell us how it’s done then, since I clearly underestimated your knowledge and no one here knows what you’re asking........

While you’re at it, please educate me on how you “reverse” something in a stationary object ball. I’d really like to learn this.

Last edited:

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for the transferred spin idea.... The cue ball causes side spin on the object ball on nearly every shot you shoot. Any time the object ball is thrown -- whether by side spin on the cue ball or by cut-induced throw -- there is some corresponding side spin on the object ball. You cannot have throw without induced side spin.

How much?

Is it even measurable?

randyg

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
if you ask they will tell

I asked the question and a few three rail players gave answers that I am sure come from experience and actually doing what they say. I watched Earl on a warm-up table for an hour once and he did things that I thought were impossible. I have seen the same from three cushion billiard players but clearly if they can do it it is possible I just don't know how they are doing it.:thumbup:

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked the question and a few three rail players gave answers that I am sure come from experience and actually doing what they say. I watched Earl on a warm-up table for an hour once and he did things that I thought were impossible. I have seen the same from three cushion billiard players but clearly if they can do it it is possible I just don't know how they are doing it.:thumbup:

You still haven’t given an explanation or example of what you are asking.

You used an example of imparting spin on an object ball, and then followed up with asking about the cue ball. One would normally assume you are still talking about cue to object ball collisions. You also are using terms like “reverse” in relation to an object ball.

Now you’re talking about the cue ball off rails.

Post some videos of what you are asking, or ask in a more comprehensible manner with the proper terminology.