Any paperless leagues out there?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a while now my area has been taking a pic of the score sheets and texting them to league operator. But we still throw away the original score sheets, we were thinking of copying a scoresheet onto a clear transparency and filling it out with erasable marker. Then taking a pic. Anyone got any better ideas? This is a traveling league so texting is key!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like everyone has smart phones today, or at least someone on a team would have one. How about creating a google doc with a spreadsheet, setting it up so you just tap the correct boxes and put the scores in?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like everyone has smart phones today, or at least someone on a team would have one. How about creating a google doc with a spreadsheet, setting it up so you just tap the correct boxes and put the scores in?

How about an APA, ACS, TAP, etc phone apps?

I never thought of the google form! Good idea

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
TAP does have an app...

How about an APA, ACS, TAP, etc phone apps?

I never thought of the google form! Good idea

TAP uses an app. My good friend and former sponsor Ian Brock(no relation) created it...

Jaden

newby9

Registered
NAPA, napaleagues.com (north american pool players association), is great. We use a phone ap to keep score on league night. Results are in next morning. No max handicap. No innings, or safeties to keep up with. Rating moves up or down every week. No one wins or loses over 75% of matches, long races. Mine are usually 9 to 2, or 10 to 2 races. Our handicaps range from 125 to 15. No limit, or limit handicap teams, you choice. Very simple, but it works. Couldn't keep an APA league going in our town, but NAPA is a success.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NAPA, napaleagues.com (north american pool players association), is great. We use a phone ap to keep score on league night. Results are in next morning. No max handicap. No innings, or safeties to keep up with. Rating moves up or down every week. No one wins or loses over 75% of matches, long races. Mine are usually 9 to 2, or 10 to 2 races. Our handicaps range from 125 to 15. No limit, or limit handicap teams, you choice. Very simple, but it works. Couldn't keep an APA league going in our town, but NAPA is a success.

I really enjoyed Napa when I played it. Too bad it folded in my area

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Ours is as close as is practical.. you don't want all electronic the vulnerability for abuse is huge ... We have one paper sheet for each team written In pen.. we compare at the end of the night both Captains sign the white sheet which is then photographed and emailed to the leauge office then everyone goes home.. within a day or so the online standings update .... But without an ink copy possessed by both Captains it could go south real quick... How many points did you score in a losing rack on week three against the guy who wore a green shirt??? You don't know noone remembers how would you even catch a smart hacker in an all electronic leauge?...

Last edited:

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
NAPA is pretty rife with sandbagging, btw.

Once you've played 10 matches to get your rating stabilized, it's very easy to manipulate things.

A normal loss drops you 1 point.
A normal win raises you 1 point.
A shut-out win generally raises you 2 points.
A shut-out loss generally lowers you 2 points.
A break-n-run generally raises you another point when you win.

My team noticed a certain player on an opposing team and began to comb the online records. You could predict what he was going to do every night.

Once I saw that, I immediately got out after the session.

Pretty brutal.

RexY

Hello MVP my name is Rex Yoder and I am a co-developer for the website Poolplayermatchups.com. The website is totally free and we provide a complete league and tournament web-based program. I would be more than happy to give you a live demo and speak with you over the phone. Let me know how I can help you out. Thanks!

Servicer

Registered
Our league switched to compusports this year. Each team still fills out a paper copy during the match but are responsible to enter there team scores onto the website. Works pretty good. I'm sure the league operators love it

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friends actually developed an app for the APA, but doesn't look like they're biting. Too bad, it's awesome, eliminates the need for paper. I don't want to get too into the details but it covers everything, APA chooses to stay in the Stone Age.
Supposedly the whole state of Georgia is run by one guy, everyone has to mail their score sheets in with payment?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello MVP my name is Rex Yoder and I am a co-developer for the website Poolplayermatchups.com. The website is totally free and we provide a complete league and tournament web-based program. I would be more than happy to give you a live demo and speak with you over the phone. Let me know how I can help you out. Thanks!

I'm giving the website to my league operator

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Justin, I have to disagree with you. NAPA is one of the best leagues out there for handicaps. Unlike APA, where your handicap stays the same for about 30 matches before ever being looked at, NAPA handicaps change, up or down after every match. You say people are manipulating them easily but what is the point? If you have people sandbagging only to get their handicap down 1 point, their teams loses by at least 11 points for that one match. The NAPA league I run only pays the top 50% of teams each session. Purposely losing a match does nothing but hurt their team.

You must not have hated it too bad, you played for almost 2 years and 61 matches :wink:

NAPA is pretty rife with sandbagging, btw.

Once you've played 10 matches to get your rating stabilized, it's very easy to manipulate things.

A normal loss drops you 1 point.
A normal win raises you 1 point.
A shut-out win generally raises you 2 points.
A shut-out loss generally lowers you 2 points.
A break-n-run generally raises you another point when you win.

My team noticed a certain player on an opposing team and began to comb the online records. You could predict what he was going to do every night.

Once I saw that, I immediately got out after the session.

Pretty brutal.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
It's simple, Bryan. If you need the guy to dump, put him up against the toughest opponent on the other team and let the bagger go down. He basically takes one for the team. Gets shut-out. So, if he was a 29, he drops down to say a 27. This allows him to match up better the next time around, instead of cresting at 30, which tacks another game on him. Now he can win 2 in a row, before taking yet another shut-out.

You'd think that it's not that simple. However, when you have a guy rated in the 20's who can run 5-6 balls on occasion, not to mention riding the money ball every chance he gets......and you're spotting him something ridiculous like 8-2, it becomes pretty textbook. The spot is so crazy, that he can toss away a game, so he doesn't shut YOU out and risk going up 2 points.

Does everyone do it? No. But, the keen observers who stick around long enough figure out the system.

They also like to hold back those baggers till the last couple of matches to see if they can afford to take a loss or the shut-out. If they can't afford to, then they generally play someone else.

With that said, some of the teams aren't too successful on using that to help their actual team record, but they can upset the balance of the league by pulling it at the right team.

I ended up liking TAP A lot more because no one could figure out the system. And I didn't want to know the system. Just didn't want it used against me. Everyone seemed to play all out, because you could lose a match, but play good pool, and still see your rating rise. Conversely, a guy played poorly and won a few matches......and went down.

Players decided it was just more fun to try to win and play well. Because everyone has more fun when the do. Not to mention that TAP paid out better and offered many more prizes.

Last edited: