Striving For A Perfect Stroke?

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson suggests that we should always be focused on making our stroke better. Even in a serious match, we should be analyzing our stroke after every shot and thinking of a way to improve it for the next shot. The same goes for practice.

Prior to reading his advice, I never put much thought into improving my stroke from one shot to the next or even one day to the next. I've always had the attitude that my stroke is not perfect but certainly good enough. So I would work on other aspects of the game with a lot of focus on the mental side of the game.

Lately, I've switched my tune and have been dedicating about 75% of my practice time to stroking better.

With that being said, how much emphasis do you put on achieving a perfect stroke? Do most people continually try to improve their stroke or settle for what they've got after a while?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson suggests that we should always be focused on making our stroke better. Even in a serious match, we should be analyzing our stroke after every shot and thinking of a way to improve it for the next shot. The same goes for practice.

Prior to reading his advice, I never put much thought into improving my stroke from one shot to the next or even one day to the next. I've always had the attitude that my stroke is not perfect but certainly good enough. So I would work on other aspects of the game with a lot of focus on the mental side of the game.

Lately, I've switched my tune and have been dedicating about 75% of my practice time to stroking better.

With that being said, how much emphasis do you put on achieving a perfect stroke? Do most people continually try to improve their stroke or settle for what they've got after a while?

I am not sure you should so much strive for a PERFECT stroke, as much as you should strive for a REPEATABLE stroke. Perfect can vary from person to person, but with a repeatable stroke, you can focus on the other aspects. Just IMO.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ben Hogan used to say this about golf: "If you didn't bring it with you you're not gonna find it out here". Working on stroke mechanics, for me anyway, is a PRACTICE related deal. In a match i can't worry about it. I have to play based on what i've got, mentally-physically-chemically ;) , that game/match.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In practice, what percentage of the time are you dedicating to stroking better as opposed to other aspects?
I usually start by shooting long, diagonal corner-to-corner straight-ins. My problem is getting unwanted spin. My goal is to smoke the ball in and have cb stop without spinning. At all. After a few of those its just a few drills and play that monster, THE GHOST.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure you should so much strive for a PERFECT stroke, as much as you should strive for a REPEATABLE stroke. Perfect can vary from person to person, but with a repeatable stroke, you can focus on the other aspects. Just IMO.

This doesn't make sense to me. If your stroke is crooked as all hell, repeating it over and over is not doing you any favors, is it?

Also, you bring up a good point that one player's definition of a perfect stroke is likely different than another player's definition, but shouldn't you strive to achieve your definition of a perfect stroke?

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your correct to work on your perfect stroke. I’m also doing some stroke work on myself. I’ve always had a slight issue with my stroke and didn’t know how to fix it.

Now after becoming a scratch golfer and hiring a great golf coach to get me there, I think the best way for me to improve is to have someone help me with my stroke. I’ve had a few pool coaches look at it and I now know where I need to improve. Working on it now.

Like someone mentioned above. Straight in shot as long as I can make it and with no side spin. Stopping the cue ball without side spin is my perfect shot. I do this almost every single day. Even if I am busy. I may only hit 20 or 30 some days and other days I hit hundreds.

The confidence in yourself grows when you know you can trust your stroke. Believing in yourself is huge under high pressure situations.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This doesn't make sense to me. If your stroke is crooked as all hell, repeating it over and over is not doing you any favors, is it?

Also, you bring up a good point that one player's definition of a perfect stroke is likely different than another player's definition, but shouldn't you strive to achieve your definition of a perfect stroke?

The premise is based on the fact that you would repeat only successes (and not failures)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it is better to work on straight stroke issues with more spin on the cue ball. Draw: put the cue ball on the headstring and the object ball a short distance away for a shot to a far corner pocket. Draw the cue ball back to the head rail within a handspan of a coin there. Gradually move the object ball farther down the table as a progressive practice taking the cue ball in hand in the kitchen each shot.

For follow, do similar shots but follow to the far rail and back, increasing the follow distance until you have missed three shots, then start over with the easy shots.

I think it's better not to practice completely repetitive shots, such as some of the shots described above. Vary something on each shot -- speed, spin, and/or angle.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'll take perfect head and bridge placement.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is tough to improve your game without improving your stroke. Look at the cue ball pictures in Mark's book. The small improvements make a big difference. I have been working on my stroke using the digicue. Just trying to get the average stroke better and improving on the odd really bad one.

If you are playing a serious match, you should trust in the stroke you possess. Thinking about it while playing can do more harm than good. A lot of time should be spent on stroke until you can make the cue ball come back to your tip consistently when shooting up and down the table at different speeds. A harder stroke will result in more errors.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bert Kinisters #1 shot in 60 min workout is a good drill .But i agree you work on your stroke and mechanics during practice . I also believe the vast majority dont hit whitey were they think they do..

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...how much emphasis do you put on achieving a perfect stroke? Do most people continually try to improve their stroke or settle for what they've got after a while?
While practicing I focus mainly on my alignment and stroke on every shot. Been that way for years - no settling for me - when I stop improving I'll stop playing.

pj
chgo

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is better to work on straight stroke issues with more spin on the cue ball. Draw: put the cue ball on the headstring and the object ball a short distance away for a shot to a far corner pocket. Draw the cue ball back to the head rail within a handspan of a coin there. Gradually move the object ball farther down the table as a progressive practice taking the cue ball in hand in the kitchen each shot.

For follow, do similar shots but follow to the far rail and back, increasing the follow distance until you have missed three shots, then start over with the easy shots.

I think it's better not to practice completely repetitive shots, such as some of the shots described above. Vary something on each shot -- speed, spin, and/or angle.

what does " within a handspan of a coin there" mean?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The premise is based on the fact that you would repeat only successes (and not failures)

This guy got it...hypothetically- so if I shoot a long straight in shot and make it 97% of the time, I and many people would consider that pretty consistent. Now, what if I happen to video my stroke and notice my grip is off, my back stroke is too fast, my head bobs up, my elbow drops, or any other of a million factors that make up a stroke? So do I change my stroke that was getting me great results just because it isn't a textbook definition of perfect?

Another way to look at it, I coach high school softball. I had a girl who has, without a doubt, the ugliest swing in history. She looks off balance, front shoulder flies out too soon, back elbow drops, I mean it is ugly. I don't know how she ever hits a ball. But man does she! I tried for two years to build her swing from the ground up. Tee work, showed her videos, broke the swing down into smallest possible movements, etc. When her batting average dropped over .100 points, I finally gave up and told her to do it her way. She ended up batting over .500 and now plays in college.

Every time I talk to her college coach he fusses about her ugly swing...but he ain't trying to fix it!:thumbup:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what does " within a handspan of a coin there" mean?

Put CB on table, put OB in front of CB lined up to far corner..... then, put a coin, button, whatever, something to use as a target behind the cue ball.

After the above is set up, get in stance, shoot and draw the CB back within a "handspan" of whatever object you used as a target....... do that and adjust accordingly until the CB is more and more on target (less and less of your handspan).

After you can hit (or very close) the target with CB, move it back a little bit and do it again..... etc..etc...

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy got it...hypothetically- so if I shoot a long straight in shot and make it 97% of the time, I and many people would consider that pretty consistent. Now, what if I happen to video my stroke and notice my grip is off, my back stroke is too fast, my head bobs up, my elbow drops, or any other of a million factors that make up a stroke? So do I change my stroke that was getting me great results just because it isn't a textbook definition of perfect?

Another way to look at it, I coach high school softball. I had a girl who has, without a doubt, the ugliest swing in history. She looks off balance, front shoulder flies out too soon, back elbow drops, I mean it is ugly. I don't know how she ever hits a ball. But man does she! I tried for two years to build her swing from the ground up. Tee work, showed her videos, broke the swing down into smallest possible movements, etc. When her batting average dropped over .100 points, I finally gave up and told her to do it her way. She ended up batting over .500 and now plays in college.

Every time I talk to her college coach he fusses about her ugly swing...but he ain't trying to fix it!:thumbup:

If it ain't broke, dont fix it!!!!!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith McCready.
"Perfect stroke" guy.:wink:

To bad someone didn't hire him an instructor, he may have been a good player if he could have "fixed" his stroke....lol

Don't know if there is a better example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".....

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If it ain't broke, dont fix it!!!!!

I totally understand what you're saying here but I don't necessarily agree. Your stroke can be tweaked in a million different ways to produce more consistent results. Usually those tweaks involve striving for textbook fundaments, but sometimes they don’t, everyone is ultimately different.

Regardless of the textbook fundamental definition, there IS something you can change to improve your stroke, I guarantee it! If there wasn’t, then you would hit the ball exactly where you aimed 100% of the time. Even the best player in the world has something in their stroke that can be improved on, even if it’s so miniscule that it only increases their shot making percentage from 97% to 97.5%.

I think it’s important to constantly analyze your stroke for a ways to hit the ball better. It doesn’t have to be as serious as setting up a video camera to watch yourself play. Actually, I think the feel of the stroke is more important than anything. After each stroke, you should take 5 seconds to really think about how the stroke felt and search for one thing you could change to make it smoother and more consistent. Maybe you rushed the backswing, maybe you weren’t totally relaxed, maybe your head popped up a little bit, maybe your grip was too tight, maybe you steered it slighted...you get the idea. Regardless of whether or not the ball is pocketed, the stoke can always be improved.

With the example of your softball player, should she completely start over with perfect fundamentals? Probably not. Can she benefit from being hyperaware of the feel of her swing and make a few minor tweaks to get better with every swing? Absolutely!!

If it ain’t broke you don’t have to fix it but you should always look for ways to improve it.