WPA Event: "Ten Ball Last" --- Why?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There is an argument that BIH, after a scratch on the break, that leads to an easy 10 ball combo, is lucky and a bit like slop.

No there isn't. You confuse skill with slop. Every shot, whether easy, moderate or difficult is a matter of skill when executed as intended.

Which do you consider the worse rule, last ball 10 or no win on the snap? I consider them the same.

I'd say I detest both of these rules, but ten ball last is worse.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No there isn't. You confuse skill with slop. Every shot, whether easy, moderate or difficult is a matter of skill when executed as intended.

10b on the snap is ONE rare occurrence. I think i've made it on break 1-2 times in total.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The "ten ball last" rule reared it's ugly head in last night's final. With the match tied 6-6, Filler had no choice but to play onto a nine ten combo. Commentator Jeremy Jones noted the difficulty presented by a hard hit of the nine-ten combo in the situation, but this is a shot that could have been hit softer if Filler didn't have to play shape for the nine as he shot it. Filler missed it and never recovered.

Here's a link to the final, in which the shot noted occurs at 1:25:00. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=122sS8AWmdI

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I’m 100% on board with your opinion, sir.
..and especially in Vegas....I understand they deal excitement there.

I also detest the term slop...it’s one of those weasel words...implying that if you don’t
agree, you’re a dork.

Snooker, the game that produces the most millionaires, doesn’t use call shots.
3-cushion, possibly the most skillful game, allows for multiple out-comes.
One-pocket, which is in the running for most skillful, multiple out-comes again.

So when I hear someone praising these rules that make the game more mundane..
..I’m hearing echoes of some guy in a bar saying “You didn’t call a rail on the way in.”

pt...agrees with calling in 14.1 and bank pool

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m 100% on board with your opinion, sir.
..and especially in Vegas....I understand they deal excitement there.

I also detest the term slop...it’s one of those weasel words...implying that if you don’t
agree, you’re a dork.

Snooker, the game that produces the most millionaires, doesn’t use call shots.
3-cushion, possibly the most skillful game, allows for multiple out-comes.
One-pocket, which is in the running for most skillful, multiple out-comes again.

So when I hear someone praising these rules that make the game more mundane..
..I’m hearing echoes of some guy in a bar saying “You didn’t call a rail on the way in.”

pt...agrees with calling in 14.1 and bank pool
Agree 100% here. Well said.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ten-Ball is just a miserable game. It is no fun. In contrast, the most exciting and memorable pool matches in the most recent decades have been Nine-Ball (with all of it's free-wheeling rules).

Last edited:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "ten ball last" rule reared it's ugly head in last night's final. With the match tied 6-6, Filler had no choice but to play onto a nine ten combo. Commentator Jeremy Jones noted the difficulty presented by a hard hit of the nine-ten combo in the situation, but this is a shot that could have been hit softer if Filler didn't have to play shape for the nine as he shot it. Filler missed it and never recovered.

Here's a link to the final, in which the shot noted occurs at 1:25:00. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=122sS8AWmdI

He could have banked the nine, there were choices.
If there was a vote, i would say 10 ball last makes the most sense.
Like video review in mlb and nfl etc, we always try to reduce luck, which of course can never be eliminated completely.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is off topic on the “10-ball last” issue, but if he had hit that shot softer (with the same aim) he would have missed it even worse because there would have been even more throw.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He could have banked the nine, there were choices.
If there was a vote, i would say 10 ball last makes the most sense.
Like video review in mlb and nfl etc, we always try to reduce luck, which of course can never be eliminated completely.

I will admit I didn’t even consider it, but playing shape for the bank of the nine would have made a lot of sense here. Very easy bank for a top pro.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is off topic on the “10-ball last” issue, but if he had hit that shot softer (with the same aim) he would have missed it even worse because there would have been even more throw.

Yes, but the aim IS different for a softer shot, so your assumption that he would aim the same if he hit it softer does’t make sense.

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
when I was first introduced to ten ball it was call pocket & 10 ball last. I think it is a great way to take one more layer of luck out of the game.

for example, you have a break, make a ball and the 1 - 10 combo is dead. With 10 ball last you can make the ten, spot it and continue with the game versus winning or losing based on the luck of the roll.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
when I was first introduced to ten ball it was call pocket & 10 ball last. I think it is a great way to take one more layer of luck out of the game.

for example, you have a break, make a ball and the 1 - 10 combo is dead. With 10 ball last you can make the ten, spot it and continue with the game versus winning or losing based on the luck of the roll.

What if a difficult combo or carom is available on the ten? What if a pretty two way shot on the ten is available? Don't overlook that you are also eliminating some of the game's skill with this version of the rules.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not sure what's ugly about requiring an extra layer of skill to complete that runout. Filler knew the rule and he just missed the shot. End of story.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm not sure what's ugly about requiring an extra layer of skill to complete that runout. Filler knew the rule and he just missed the shot. End of story.

I have seen Efren, more than once, make a ball AND the money ball on the same shot.
....is that not an extra layer of skill?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Some truth in that for sure. Just pointing out that the rule affected the play at a very dramatic moment in the final. As he demonstrated, to make the shape required hitting a difficult combo hard, and that made the shot more difficult.

It's OK to prefer this version of the rules, but those who don't think it removes some of the skills, too, live in denial.

Finally, it's no secret that I'm against just about anything that makes pool less familiar to the casual amateur fan. It's always a lost opportunity to show these fans how the game they know and play is best played.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JJ's commentary is great.

I think Filler chose the right shot he just missed. It does happen;)

Filler had a chance to move the 9 with the shot on the 6-7-8.
He also could have played safe.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't overlook that you are also eliminating some of the game's skill with this version of the rules.

If you replace “the game’s” with “9-ball”, I agree completely.

It’s 10-ball and 10-ball rules. It’s a very good game just as it is. The other popular games are also very good. They’re just different games. I like them all. However, I do like 9-ball most.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If you replace “the game’s” with “9-ball”, I agree completely.

It’s 10-ball and 10-ball rules. It’s a very good game just as it is. The other popular games are also very good. They’re just different games. I like them all. However, I do like 9-ball most.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

It’s 10-ball rules?....they are Johnny-come-lately rules..not THE rules.
For a long time 10-ball was just 9-ball with an extra ball.