Why Do the CSI Announcers Never Mention that Filler is the Current U. S. Open Champ

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Title says it all. They never mention that he is the current U. S. Open 9-ball Champion. Is there bad blood between Griff and Hearn? Seems weird to me that when they are giving his resume that they don't mention this.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It is odd, although I'd suggest that in all events, commentators tend to be negligent when it comes to sharing information about the accomplishments of the players. It's usually indicative of poor preparation, though probably not in this case.

From CSI's vantage point, you'd think that it enhances the credibility of their product when they feature the US Open Champion, so why not mention it? Makes no sense at all.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hadn’t really noticed, but how incredible would it be if Filler won this 10-ball title in addition to the World 9-ball and US Open? It would have to be the best season for any pool player in the modern era.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Title says it all. They never mention that he is the current U. S. Open 9-ball Champion. Is there bad blood between Griff and Hearn? Seems weird to me that when they are giving his resume that they don't mention this.

My complete guess is.....its not "bad blood" per se, but that doesn't mean that Promoters want to promote things that aren't theirs. Its the inner hustler that everyone has in this sport, just because they wear a suit and have a title doesn't make any of these people less "back room action-esque."
I know what I would say to myself. Filler has enough accomplishments to announce a list without saying the Major event of the other guys.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This kid has so many titles that US Open got lost in the crowd.

I think that commentators should have a bio sheet on every player.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I completely agree with you (as usual). Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who understands that you shouldn't and can't expect much from pool world. The less I expect, the happier I am.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jim wych seems to be the one most likely to mention about anybody winning any titles..
I've only watched bits and pieces of the tourna, and have heard him describe josh as
"reigning world 9-ball champ"
not saying other guys haven't, but I haven't heard them.
I like a lot of pool commentators (love JJ), but most of them sound pretty casual in the booth.
this isn't necessarily different from commentary in other sports.
I know pool is a labor of love for most (not much dough in it), but
pool commentating could use a makeover, if the goal is for the commentary to be well-rounded and professional.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When bad blood is mentioned, I thought of some "bust up" between WPA and Hearn/ Matchroom more than decade ago when MR organised probably the best W9B championships (Winner $100K). W9B was called World Pool Championship (WPC) then and WPA decided to add another discipline world title- World 10 Ball championship in Phillippines (Appleton was inaugural champ). WPC would have to be called W9B and the W9B title would no longer be the only rotation title and that was one of reasons Matchroom subsequently stopped organising it. (Notice how MR use "Pool" instead of 9Ball in their events like World Pool Masters, World Cup of Pool)

But anyway, I don't think CSI announcers not mentioning US Open has anything to do with that. :D
I may be wrong but my guess is either
(a) maybe CSI did not want to give coverage to another competing WPA major (i.e. US Open) on US soil since only 2 WPA majors on US soil are US Open and W10B.
or
(b) their research team was simply napping and left out the info for the announcers :D

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jim wych seems to be the one most likely to mention about anybody winning any titles..
I've only watched bits and pieces of the tourna, and have heard him describe josh as
"reigning world 9-ball champ"
not saying other guys haven't, but I haven't heard them.
I like a lot of pool commentators (love JJ), but most of them sound pretty casual in the booth.
this isn't necessarily different from commentary in other sports.
I know pool is a labor of love for most (not much dough in it), but
pool commentating could use a makeover, if the goal is for the commentary to be well-rounded and professional.

It's funny listening to Jim Wych's ENDLESS cliche's and captain obvious comments. It starts to get to his co-commentators after a bit.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny listening to Jim Wych's ENDLESS cliche's and captain obvious comments. It starts to get to his co-commentators after a bit.
yea, JJ doesn't let jim in much for his stylings, does he :)
jim is a good egg tho..
a rare combo of a guy with experience and knowledge of the game,
who also possesses an energetic voice and play-by-play commentating acumen.
we clown on him (and rightfully so),
but pool commentating as a whole is better with jim's participation.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I call them ‘Wychisms’....and i think he’s perfect with JJ.
JJ for the pool fanatics, Wych for the general public.
Jimmy started commentating at snooker in Britain, where the average viewer couldn’t
hit the end rail...they need to be informed also...’cause that’s what will make the game grow.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I call them ‘Wychisms’....and i think he’s perfect with JJ.
JJ for the pool fanatics, Wych for the general public.
Jimmy started commentating at snooker in Britain, where the average viewer couldn’t
hit the end rail...they need to be informed also...’cause that’s what will make the game grow.

Yes all I've heard is how Jim is a great guy, after many racks he does come down to earth a little. I think I could commentate a whole match using a Wych sound board.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a helluva free stream. I could not care less who they do/don't mention. At least they talk about the game at hand. JJ is AWESOME. I haven't heard anybody talk about boat-trailer tires one time. ;)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Ditto and ditto.

Emily Frazer and Nick Teale (Matchroom) were always welcomed guests in the CSI arena. I think the commentators are simply mentioning the fact that it was the current World 10-ball vs the current World 9-ball champion.

Having player bios should be mandatory.

Freddie <~~~ or so I hear

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I noticed this important piece of information was also missing from the press release about Filler when he got down the the final eight players. I inquired why it was not mentioned and never heard back from them. The fact the commentators are leaving this out is also vexing to me. The past U.S. Open was only the best tournament of the year by far in terms of strength of field (and 50K first prize!). How could they not know!