Rail Calibration - Diagram

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've explored many of the rail calibration threads and I felt the need to make the below diagram for reference. Can someone please look at the diagram and verify that I have labeled everything correctly?

Also, which subrail thickness measurement is correct, the one shown in green or purple?

Hopefully Glen or Mark aren't too busy to respond.

Thanks everyone in advance and for all of the information previously provided! :)

Edit: The diagram is the post below this

Attachments

• rails-.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've explored many of the rail calibration threads and I felt the need to make the below diagram for reference. Can someone please look at the diagram and verify that I have labeled everything correctly?

Also, which subrail thickness measurement is correct, the one shown in green or purple?

Thanks everyone in advance and for all of the information previously provided! :)

Here you go

Attachments

• rails2.jpg
    rails2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 899

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Put this in "Ask a mechanic" for more action.

cool_hand_ljb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am glad you posted this i am wanting the specs on converting and building a set of centennial snooker rails to pool table rails. Looks good!!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks for posting that
it clarifies alot of terms
:thumbup::thumbup:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
First of all, you're both wrong on your dimensions, and second, why would I correct either of you to what is correct....what's in it for me??

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Here you go

This is why giving out to much information is not good, everyone wants it for free, and would like me to correct your figures for free, but what's my incentive? Why should I just post my hard earned knowledge over the last 38 years so that anyone can just do this kind of work at home for free? What is my role in your plans to give away my knowledge for free?? To help you, for free? Not trying to be an ass here, but this is where I draw the line!

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why giving out to much information is not good, everyone wants it for free, and would like me to correct your figures for free, but what's my incentive? Why should I just post my hard earned knowledge over the last 38 years so that anyone can just do this kind of work at home for free? What is my role in your plans to give away my knowledge for free?? To help you, for free? Not trying to be an ass here, but this is where I draw the line!

I agree with you 100% on this, RKC. Your knowledge and expertise is extremely valuable. Wrong word. Your knowledge is INVALUABLE. Period.

Like your grand glue venture, why not get an expert writer to put your extensive table knowledge in stone - i.e. every media format available - and market it. Globally. Sell it for what it’s worth. We ALL KNOW that most of the finest details about tables and specs and perfect playability come from a plethora of places - and experience from a man that’s lived in this place we can call Plethora, TX building every bit of this knowledge like a temple will be lost - unless it’s cataloged for future craftsmen.

And yes, respectfully, there are a few great mechanics here on the forum and around the world (not on the forum) with this knowledge. But it’s scattered. Nearly impossible to find. Some of the Masters / Experts are better than others. Some are at the very top of the list (like every profession and trade) while many/most flounder at the bottom with minimum qualifications and barely passable results. We all know that as well. Many of us have experienced the less-talented mechanics with our own tables.

Books have been written about the merits of giving away information vs placing a price on it and making a great living - even a fortune. So IF you don’t see the merits of giving and sharing and promoting your expertise for free here on AZB, by all means charge for it. Sounds fair to me. I wouldn’t expect less.

The secret I think lies in the balance of doing both - sharing and helping those that seek knowledge - as well as being rewarded for invaluable information.

Great work and contributions to your specialized craft , Glen.

~ K.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I agree with you 100% on this, RKC. Your knowledge and expertise is extremely valuable. Wrong word. Your knowledge is INVALUABLE. Period.

Like your grand glue venture, why not get an expert writer to put your extensive table knowledge in stone - i.e. every media format available - and market it. Globally. Sell it for what it’s worth. We ALL KNOW that most of the finest details about tables and specs and perfect playability come from a plethora of places - and experience from a man that’s lived in this place we can call Plethora, TX building every bit of this knowledge like a temple will be lost - unless it’s cataloged for future craftsmen.

And yes, respectfully, there are a few great mechanics here on the forum and around the world (not on the forum) with this knowledge. But it’s scattered. Nearly impossible to find. Some of the Masters / Experts are better than others. Some are at the very top of the list (like every profession and trade) while many/most flounder at the bottom with minimum qualifications and barely passable results. We all know that as well. Many of us have experienced the less-talented mechanics with our own tables.

Books have been written about the merits of giving away information vs placing a price on it and making a great living - even a fortune. So IF you don’t see the merits of giving and sharing and promoting your expertise for free here on AZB, by all means charge for it. Sounds fair to me. I wouldn’t expect less.

The secret I think lies in the balance of doing both - sharing and helping those that seek knowledge - as well as being rewarded for invaluable information.

Great work and contributions to your specialized craft , Glen.

~ K.

Here's what goes through my mind when I think about the thousands of people that would love to have the knowledge I have. By myself, I'm no threat to this industry, and I can only work on so many pool tables, but what would the impact be if 1,000 table mechanics or home owners could do what I do....would that place stress on selling new tables? Would it cost jobs for people in this industry already working in it? Or would I be better off in the long run working with other pool table manufacturers like I have with Diamond for the last 19 years? Or even better, should I just focuse on selling my billiards adhesive to the table, cloth, cushion manufacturers, and work with ALL cloth manufacturers in teaching the world of installers how to improve the quality of their work? After the Chinese billiards trade show was over, I've been invited to travel to Africa, China, Korea, and India....to do seminars showing how to use my glue, as they're very interested and supportive of change in this industry.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Follow your tireless passions and expertise wherever you find adventure awaits - and energizes you. It’s a big planet. Help, contribute and make as much money as you can along the way. Spend time with exceptionally positive people ONLY, nothing less. People can only help you or hinder you. Avoid the latter. So basically, yes - keep doing all of what you’re doing now! The adhesive. The tables. Advising and educating manufacturers. They want the best - they pay the most.

Btw - if ever in the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area, my Brunswick Brixton could use a table recover in Simonis 860 Mocha and some fine tuning. I’ll set you up at the Hilton and pay meals as well. Anytime 2019.

~ K.