Need help with name of a pool hall

6rails

In 1986 or 87 there was a pool hall that opened in Tulsa, OK. Steve Mizerak played an exhibition game for the grand opening. Does anybody know the name of the pool hall? Thanks.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In 1986 or 87 there was a pool hall that opened in Tulsa, OK. Steve Mizerak played an exhibition game for the grand opening. Does anybody know the name of the pool hall? Thanks.

Was it Magoo's?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Dennis Caulter or COULTER was the pro there if not mistaken, very good player I haven't heard anything about in 25 years
The only rooms in Tulsa at that time were Family Q-Spot on 31st and the all-too-cool Tulsa Billiard Palace on Harvard. The Dennis you're thinking of is Dennis Holter. He was a painting contractor/gambler. Played cards and pool. He was never house pro, wasn't that good. Good guy, i know him well. Full-time card player now. You're probably thinking of the Palace. It opened around '84 and changed hands a couple times. When Jim and John bought it in '87 it quickly became one of THE best action spots in the country. 24hr,non-stop action. It moved to 21st&Memorial in '91 and closed in '06. Jim opened Magoo's in '92-'93 and ran it til he sold it to current owners in 2010. As for the Miz, i don't recall him doing any grand openings in town. He came to Tulsa a few times for tournaments and once did an exhib. with Paul Guerney at ORU in early 80's.

Last edited:

6rails

Thank you. I know Mizerak played the exhibition around 86 because I was the one who played him in the exhibition game. He represented Miller Light and I was the League Operator for the Busch Pool League with the APA. I never asked the news station who filmed the game for a copy but wanted to try to figure out how to contact them to see if they have it in their archives. I'm just starting to try to research it to come up with who to contact.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. I know Mizerak played the exhibition around 86 because I was the one who played him in the exhibition game. He represented Miller Light and I was the League Operator for the Busch Pool League with the APA. I never asked the news station who filmed the game for a copy but wanted to try to figure out how to contact them to see if they have it in their archives. I'm just starting to try to research it to come up with who to contact.
Sure it wasn't in a club/bar of some sort? 1986 i was out of action after May 23, i had a really bad car wreck and didn't play pool for about a year. I do know that no poolrooms opened in town in that year. As i stated above the only rooms in '86 were the Billiard Palace and Family Q-spot. All the league pool in those days was in bars/taverns. Could have been Friendly Tavern, they were one of the big league spots at that time.