How Would You Play This Layout?

You are shooting the 6 ball. What's your choice?

aa1.jpg

aa2.jpg

aa3.jpg

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
It depends on the bank angle. If I can avoid hitting the 8 with draw and still make the bank, I will. If its too thin I would follow off the 8 and not be too shocked if it hooked me on the 7.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
It's according to how I'm feeling. I like the bank but I may just roll the 6 to the rail and try to keep the CB on top of the 6

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
depends

If I'm in attack mode, I would probably bank it and depending on the exact angle trying to draw the cue ball for position on the 7.
If I want to duck, I would try to thin hit the right side of the 6 and froze it to the 8 ball, while controlling the cue ball with right english and sending it to the far top short rail.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
If I'm in attack mode, I would probably bank it and depending on the exact angle trying to draw the cue ball for position on the 7.
If I want to duck, I would try to thin hit the right side of the 6 and froze it to the 8 ball, while controlling the cue ball with right english and sending it to the far top short rail.

Agreed....

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

the bank is a gamblers shot which might leave 8 ball w/no shot. I was taught if shot and position not reasonably makeable play safe.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a slow roll, I'd hit the 6 either flush, or slightly to the right. My goal would be to stick the 6 against the rail with the CB stuck to the 6. If the CB doesn't stick, it should at least land above the 6, and hopefully not leave a wired 6-8 combo.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
It's according to how I'm feeling. I like the bank but I may just roll the 6 to the rail and try to keep the CB on top of the 6

The slow roll 6 bump is way to passive and then you will either get the thin return hook or thin the other way (depending how it lays) super tough combo or tougher safety because you were to passive.

If your heart is not up to the bank or you can't avoid the double kiss (which you can here) you thin the six and go two rails to the top cushion. Now he is in trouble.

Nick

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Thin the 6

Thin the 6 with outside go two rails and stick whitey down on the bottom rail. If hes brave he will have a nice combo.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Safety?:

Verrrrrrrrry thin cut of 6 to roll 6 up on 8. For cb accuracy, small amount of center right on cb/ level cue.

Run cb 3 or 4 rails longish. Target about 1/2 diamond from corner under the 7ball on the foot rail.

Shooting?:

Although, 6 looks pretty bankable. Needs very slight cut to right or soft draw with a little left to throw the 6 if hit head on. The right cut will probably move the 8 a little, but not much. A rolling cb on the cut likely nudges the 8 and gets you to a shot on the 7.

Several options here. Depends on the actual layout and how confident you are at the time.

I'm probably shooting the bank unless the table says no.;)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The choice appears to be between the bank and an OK but not great safe. I think you are not much better than 50-50 to win the safe battle if you go that route since there is no easy way to leave your opponent hooked.

The bank is better than 50% for most nine ball players. The position on the 7 is the only question. If you can get position on either a shot or a great safe, you have to bank the 6.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm banking it....high left english and pretty hard.
...the 8 is going to stop whitey from traveling very far.....
...take a little pot-luck shape on the 7.

I consider the safety a very weak play....a stalemate at best.

....tried to practice what I preached....made the bank three times....
...got a shot on the 7 three times.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm banking it....high left english and pretty hard.
...the 8 is going to stop whitey from traveling very far.....
...take a little pot-luck shape on the 7.

I consider the safety a very weak play....a stalemate at best.

....tried to practice what I preached....made the bank three times....
...got a shot on the 7 three times.

This^^^^^all day.

Best,
Mike

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I would honestly love to see my opponent try to play safe here. No matter what he does, he can't hook me and he's just as likely to sell me a shot or a safe as he is to leave me with something difficult.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
totally banking from here 100%. That angle looks like its close enough to shorten it and draw or follow. If both looked doable I would draw and not go into the 8 at all.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I just noticed its a diamond (duh) which banks shorter than the gold crowns I usually play on here in miami. it might take some left to open the angle up and follow out.