Atlas Billiards

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just be glad you all don't live in Illinois. We have to pay 8.5% sales tax on top of the rest.

danutz

Banned
When i need something small from Atlas, i just go ahead and buy some other bigger stuff that i know i'll use sometime in the future. That's the only way i can justify the shipping costs, and feel that i almost got my monies worth. I feel for them with this ivory bs., but at the same time, i think they knew the risks, rolled the dice out of greed, and in this instance lost. All that ivory would have sold right here in the good old usa given enough time, and a decent price. Another part of me feels that it serves them right for shipping a scarce commodity out of the US in the first place.:thumbup:

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
When i need something small from Atlas, i just go ahead and buy some other bigger stuff that i know i'll use sometime in the future. That's the only way i can justify the shipping costs, and feel that i almost got my monies worth. I feel for them with this ivory bs., but at the same time, i think they knew the risks, rolled the dice out of greed, and in this instance lost. All that ivory would have sold right here in the good old usa given enough time, and a decent price. Another part of me feels that it serves them right for shipping a scarce commodity out of the US in the first place.:thumbup:

Agreed, I try to do the same but telling me to "buy more stuff to offset the cost" is lame.

I just ordered 2 large drills, 2 boring bars, a dozen 8 0z. bottles, Markers, Shim Assortment AND a 1 Gallon jug of oil and the shipping was $14.95 from Enco

2 months ago I ordered 4 pins, a bag of bumpers and a box of chalk and the shipping was $14.41 from Atlas. It was a small box of stuff. It would have fit into a $5 flat rate box.

Just to be clear, I am not bashing Atlas. Other than the shipping charges, I have had nothing but positive dealings with them. Eric is a nice guy, returns my calls, helps with additional info and has even thrown in free samples here and there but unless Atlas is the only one who supplies it or I need a lot of stuff I start looking elsewhere. Yes, maybe it is just the CODB but being charged too much for shipping annoys me to no end.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
ivory

why would anyone in japan buy ivory from the US when you can get ivory
so much closer and cheaper? philippines china viet nam laos thailand, etc
but to buy ivory where the preband law is enforced.

and everyone knows its illegal to ship ivory out of the usa finished or unfinished. inless you can prove it is over 100 years old..................

this wasnt a mistake. and it wasnt one person alone making a mistake
the owner or managers had to of known.

why is the US fish and game setting up shop in japan to bust a US based company.

its a shame that atlas cut this corner.

mike

Last edited:

nipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice try ryan

There are several factors involved in shipping charges.

1. Each address has a zone in relation to the shipper. The further the zone, the more it cost.

2. Next is the size of the package. The bigger the package, the more it costs. The heavier the package, the more it costs.

3. Value of the contents. Yes, it may fit into a padded envelope but if the replacement value is $300, it must be insured for that value.

4. Someone has to package the shipment. Labor and packing materials are figured in the final shipping charge. It is difficult to incorporate that cost into the price of each item. Especially when there are several small items.

living in england as i do i have had so many arguments with atlas over usung UPS that i stopped using them for anything as i would be paying twice as much for shipping ,
never mind the taxes i had to pay when my stuff got here

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed, I try to do the same but telling me to "buy more stuff to offset the cost" is lame.

I just ordered 2 large drills, 2 boring bars, a dozen 8 0z. bottles, Markers, Shim Assortment AND a 1 Gallon jug of oil and the shipping was $14.95 from Enco

2 months ago I ordered 4 pins, a bag of bumpers and a box of chalk and the shipping was $14.41 from Atlas. It was a small box of stuff. It would have fit into a $5 flat rate box.

Just to be clear, I am not bashing Atlas. Other than the shipping charges, I have had nothing but positive dealings with them. Eric is a nice guy, returns my calls, helps with additional info and has even thrown in free samples here and there but unless Atlas is the only one who supplies it or I need a lot of stuff I start looking elsewhere. Yes, maybe it is just the CODB but being charged too much for shipping annoys me to no end.
ENCO and MSC are huge when it comes to orders shipped with UPS. They can even get Next Day Air service for ground prices in the SE. They have set deals with UPS that give them discount shipping that prices we can only dream of getting.
If anyone has ever had to make claims for lost packages with the post office they may understand why many of us do not like using them. UPS on the other hand has started all these residental fees and rural area surcharges that are really high. I shipped a few tips to someone today by UPS and charged the customer $11. When we shipped it later UPS charged me almost $13. Priority box with insurance would be around $8 and require a trip to the post office. Tracking is horrible and claims are a nightmare if it gets lost. We processed a 4 pound priority package through the Post office today and with six hundred dollars of insurance it was about $25. I could have shipped the four pound package through UPS to any lower 48 US address for well under $20. So shipping is tricky. I ship out most orders the day they are placed through UPS. But UPS does not care if it is one ounce it still cost the one pound price.
If you have ever dealt with customers whose package is lost and you tell them the post office will not even consider starting a claim for 30 days, you would start to feel like the extra dollars for UPS is worth it. The customer blames you for it and may even quits doing business with you over it.

Last edited:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
ENCO and MSC are huge when it comes to orders shipped with UPS. They can even get Next Day Air prices for ground prices in the SE. They have set deals with UPS that give them discount shipping that prices we can only dream of getting.
If anyone has ever had to make claims for lost packages with the post office they may understand why many of us do not like using them. UPS on the other hand has started all these residental fees and rural area surcharges that are really high. I shipped a few tips to someone today by UPS and charged the customer $11. When we shipped it later UPS charged me almost $13. Priority box with insurance would be around $8 and require a trip to the post office. Tracking is horrible and claims are a nightmare if it gets lost. We processed a 4 pound priority package through the Post office today and with six hundred dollars of insurance it was about $25. I could have shipped the four pound package through UPS to any lower 48 US address for well under $20. So shipping is tricky. I ship out most orders the day they are placed through UPS. But UPS does not care if it is one ounce it still cost the one pound price.
If you have ever dealt with customers whose package is lost and you tell them the post office will not even consider starting a claim for 30 days, you would start to feel like the extra dollars for UPS is worth it. The customer blames you for it and may even quits doing business with you over it.

It's great that MSC/Enco can do that, however UPS is STILL making a profit on those LOW prices. Don't let anyone fool you. Atlas Fibre has a contract with UPS and makes plenty on shipping. I'm betting their contract gives UPS exclusivity and Atlas good prices. In the end none of that matters because regardless of why, the pricing upsets most people.

I realize there are many "hidden' costs, but they shouldn't be "hidden" from the consumer, nor should a consumer be told "buy some more to make shipping worth it".

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
living in england as i do i have had so many arguments with atlas over usung UPS that i stopped using them for anything as i would be paying twice as much for shipping ,
never mind the taxes i had to pay when my stuff got here

Using UPS to ship over seas, don't even make sense. It's ridiculous.:(

danutz

Banned
They should use ups for the big, and heavy stuff, and usps for the small stuff. Both the business, and customer wins. I won't buy something if i know the shipper is making profits off the shipping. Like boneheads on fleabay charging $30 or more to ship a cue, when i know it costs $15 or less. They can shove it where the sun don't shine for that:thumbup:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Using UPS to ship over seas, don't even make sense. It's ridiculous.:(
This is absolutely correct on lighter weight international packages. I mainly use Postal Express for those overseas orders. When using regular airmail they were losing one out of every 4 to 5 packages. With Express mail they have carried hundreds of packages all over the world without losing one in several years now. I know it costs the customer more to use postal express for international orders and UPS for US ground, but everything getting there means alot. I have seen people come on here blasting companies who had something lost in the mail. Good service is worth paying extra for. A one pound package with UPS insured up to $100 will average nearly $12 to residental addresses now. So one leather wrap blank would cost twice what the wrap is worth to ship. But the advice to order more is not really bad advice as you could probably order several more without it making you have to pay more shipping. I know the temptation is to go non insured mail and that is the cheap route. But then who should pay when it does not get there? The customer should take the loss, but that will not set very well with them.

Last edited:

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
I have asked on almost all my orders from atlas to be shipped USPS and they wont do it,

The shipping charges are my only complaint with Atlas as well.

It sucks even worse when I get dinged another hundred or more ona small order for duty and brokerage!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have asked on almost all my orders from atlas to be shipped USPS and they wont do it,

It sucks even worse when I get dinged another hundred or more ona small order for duty and brokerage!

Yes. On Canada orders with smaller weight I use postal express which is $35 to $50, but it gets there real fast, is trackable and no high brokerage gets charged. The same package through UPS would only cost about $25 to ship, but brokerage could be from $45 to $90 average.

Naked Cues

Wood Hoarder
Silver Member

Sounds like there may be a business opportunity for a Canadian supplier! ;)

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
Ha ha. There is definitely room for a Canadian distributor for everything!
Free trade was supposed to make it easier to get stuff!

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like there may be a business opportunity for a Canadian supplier! ;)

Chances are that the Can distributor would have to pay the duties as they would be doing the importing and then just passing on the duties to the customer.

Dick

Naked Cues

Wood Hoarder
Silver Member
Chances are that the Can distributor would have to pay the duties as they would be doing the importing and then just passing on the duties to the customer.

Dick

You might be right. I'm not familiar enough with Canadian business law to know if there's a difference between fees charged to individuals and corporations...or if economies of scale would mitigate the expenses.

Everything I know about Canada I learned from the movie, "Strange Brew".:thumbup:

I do know that whenever one can supply comparable goods and/or service for a lower cost, there's opportunity. Maybe worth looking into for someone from Canada...

-Jason.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
There's a local plastics place here,
They buy from atlas on the commercial side.
It's no cheaper to get them to bring stuff in.
I think they have it locked up for the stuff we all use.
If someone had a warehouse and could get a super deal it may work.
But I think all things being equal.... It would probably be the same end user price anyway.
Duties and handling and brokerage sure eat into profits though. Especially on cues!

Naked Cues

Wood Hoarder
Silver Member
There's a local plastics place here,
They buy from atlas on the commercial side.
It's no cheaper to get them to bring stuff in.

Duties and handling and brokerage sure eat into profits though.!

Yeah...that's crummy for everyone - 'cause Dick is right in that suppliers will roll that cost into their products.

There's a lot to be said for free trade...especially from one who believes the Austrian view of economics is the correct one (like me).:cool: