Breaking Old Habits

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of us did not learn correctly from the start so we have developed bad habits. How do we overcome some of these habits which seem to have become ingrained in our game?

1. Jumping up on the shot? I'm getting better at this but I still do this from time to time. Other times I am starting to stand up on the shot instead of jumping up (very gradual but still throws the shot off).

2. Slowing my stroke down during the follow through. This occurs when I'm shooting really soft. And I tend to steer the ball (follow toward the right or left depending on which way I'm cutting the ball).

3. Forced follow or power draw stroke I tend to 'tweak my wrist'? This is kind of curling my wrist in. Not as bad as it use to be but still happens from time to time.

4. Follow through slightly to the right or left? Still making the shots but slightly left or right of where the real contact point should of been and the position play tends to be slightly off.

5. Getting down on a shot and either adjusting my aim while I'm down or knowing somethings not right but I still shoot it. I almost always miss these shots.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions for any or all of these habits it will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
Visit an instructor to develop your proper mechanics, alignment, and a solid pre-shot routine. They should also teach you how to practice and self diagnose them. After your lesson, you should be well on your way to overcoming your bad habits. I'd recommend on of the multiple day intensive class many instructors like Randy, Scott, Steve, and myself offer.

After the lesson, it's up to you to practice them properly. If you do, your new good habits will replace all of your old habits. The longer you have played with bad habits, the harder you will have to work to overcome them and the longer it will take, but you overcome them.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Most of us did not learn correctly from the start so we have developed bad habits. How do we overcome some of these habits which seem to have become ingrained in our game?

1. Jumping up on the shot? I'm getting better at this but I still do this from time to time. Other times I am starting to stand up on the shot instead of jumping up (very gradual but still throws the shot off).

2. Slowing my stroke down during the follow through. This occurs when I'm shooting really soft. And I tend to steer the ball (follow toward the right or left depending on which way I'm cutting the ball).

3. Forced follow or power draw stroke I tend to 'tweak my wrist'? This is kind of curling my wrist in. Not as bad as it use to be but still happens from time to time.

4. Follow through slightly to the right or left? Still making the shots but slightly left or right of where the real contact point should of been and the position play tends to be slightly off.

5. Getting down on a shot and either adjusting my aim while I'm down or knowing somethings not right but I still shoot it. I almost always miss these shots.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions for any or all of these habits it will be appreciated.

Thanks

There is only one way to correct these problems, go back to the basics, this may not be what you want to hear, but everything you described above is a direct result of poor fundamentals. Find a good instructor who can teach at a level you can can understand, many knowledgeable people do not have the ability to translate their knowledge into information that can be understood by those they are teaching.

JIMO

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
There is only one way to correct these problems, go back to the basics, this may not be what you want to hear, but everything you described above is a direct result of poor fundamentals. Find a good instructor who can teach at a level you can can understand, many knowledgeable people do not have the ability to translate their knowledge into information that can be understood by those they are teaching.

JIMO

Very well spoken Craig!
Hat-off,

lg
Ingo

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good article, but keep in mind that all Olympic athletes get a LOT of coaching, to help them put those principles to work. The OP can try to figure it out on his own...or take the shortcut, and have a qualified instructor work with him, to get off on the right foot.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Read this article because it seems to be an effective technique for changing bad habits that is used by olympic atheletes among others.

http://www.sunburstselect.com/PBReview/ChangingBadHabits.htm

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. That technique should also be of use to coaches and instructors. In fact I think that most of this work was written for coaches.

I think that anyone who does serious coaching should review this work. I believe they offer an online series for professional coaches.

Last edited: