Siming Vs Shane: 7 sets race to 11

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know much about this area. But I seem to remember people talking about a U-shaped curve, where wanting it more, and more, and more leads to better performance to a point... And then performance starts deteriorating.

Are you confident the great closers are not merely people who don't show the deterioration most of us would, i.e., show less deterioration? have a wider U? For the sports you mention there's no great absolute measure, so we can romanticize a few pitches or a few pool shots.

There must be research on this. Are top figure skaters more likely to land the tough jump in the Olympics than in practice or a lesser competition?

When John Schmidt gets to 500, 36 racks, is he more or less likely to get through the next one than he was to get through, say, the 19th rack. My guess is less likely. But I'm just speculating

Well I'm not a numbers guy but my bet is the more balls you run the odds increase of a miss , would that be because of pressure or the likely hood of a eventual miss my guess with JS it would be the pressure , I might have a different opinion on another player ,
The opinion of mine and others who have seen it time and time again a player play better under the gun ,, yes certainly the odds are they will likely play worse , however there are plenty of players that go the other way other wise known as rising to the occasion ,

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 3 is up. Haven't had a chance to watch yet but here is the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-INYXOlNJUY
Nice final set by Siming, after SVB only took 41 minutes in the opening set. Perhaps he subconsciously took his foot off the gas a little bit in that final set, but we'll never know. There is no question, the young lady can play, and is subject to beat any pro player in any given set. Whether she's able to sustain a run of match victories to win a major open event is yet to be seen, but I'm hoping she gives herself that opportunity, nearly 40 years post Jean Balukas!

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I felt like day 3 was the most like a practice session based on the level of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was a sceptic in the mills thread, but after that match i converted. after the us open and this match i'm a hardcore fundamentalist believer.

she is awesome, she really is. with that straight shooter stroke and that mullet she reminds me of earl in his prime. and she is getting better and better. i hope she is invited to the world pool masters next year.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
i was a sceptic in the mills thread, but after that match i converted. after the us open and this match i'm a hardcore fundamentalist believer.

she is awesome, she really is. with that straight shooter stroke and that mullet she reminds me of earl in his prime. and she is getting better and better. i hope she is invited to the world pool masters next year.

I tried telling you guys

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried telling you guys

Rhea, I was waiting for you to come back here and spike the proverbial football and I'll have to say you deserve it.
I was sceptical of the Fargo Rate system in how it rated female players compared to men when they just don't play in enough tournaments together, but apparently it is dead-on accurate. There is more than enough evidence here to show Siming is all of that Fargo Rating and then some.

After the Donnie match and now Shane--she handled herself extremely well. Such a good player. Also she isn't afraid to compete. For the longest time, my scepticism was fueled by her not coming over and playing in the big men's tournaments. That all changed with a fury when she not only competed in the US Open, but went at Shane with a 7 set race to 11 match. Wow. That takes guts, talent, and above all solid pool playing. She has it and consider myself a true believer in Siming.

Also the audio catch during the first set of Shane saying he told Billy on the way over that he couldn't beat her and she would rob him....that was an off camera confirmation that Shane acknowledges Siming as a real threat. Very impressive.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed the heck out of these sets. I'm not much on rotation games, but this was good. Siming kind of reminds me of a snooker player in that her stroke and mechanics are extremely good. She can play that is for sure.