Sportsbars and Pool....a Conundrum of Opposites

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Its come to my attention that the whole Sportsbar/Pool Place doesnt seem to work out. Sportsbars dont seem to do well with advertising and keeping customers and they really dont want pool players....they want drinkers.

I think the only way for Pool to grow in popularity is find a better home.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool belongs in poolrooms and played on 9 or 10 footers. End of story.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep reading about how to save the sport of pool, what's good for pool, and what's bad for pool. Everyone seems to have an opinion, but I'm not sure that the sport needs saving. It would be nice to see matches on TV, but I believe that's a slightly different topic. All I know is that everyone I know that wants to play pool finds a way to play pool. More than half of the avid pool players I know don't really care about the pro circuit (maybe this is what most people are talking about when they speak of saving the sport).

I understand, accept, and appreciate that the drinkers are subsidizing my pool playing. I can play pool for 4 hours a day during the weekdays for less than $5. I also realize that any pool hall that caters to pool players rather than drinkers isn't going to be around very long.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
A lot of truth in what you say

I keep reading about how to save the sport of pool, what's good for pool, and what's bad for pool. Everyone seems to have an opinion, but I'm not sure that the sport needs saving. It would be nice to see matches on TV, but I believe that's a slightly different topic. All I know is that everyone I know that wants to play pool finds a way to play pool. More than half of the avid pool players I know don't really care about the pro circuit (maybe this is what most people are talking about when they speak of saving the sport).

I understand, accept, and appreciate that the drinkers are subsidizing my pool playing. I can play pool for 4 hours a day during the weekdays for less than $5. I also realize that any pool hall that caters to pool players rather than drinkers isn't going to be around very long.

Solomon,
A lot of truth in your post. I find some interesting points that have kind of perplexed me. I dont see the sportsbars advertising and you would think ok not everyone will make a pool player, so why not use pool as bait to get....New People....not pool players necessarily....and then gladly accept the ones who suck at pool as New Bar Customers.

To me those pool tables have to be for something other than use $5 a day pool players.

I would use them as bait, but I guess until I buy a Sports Bar thats a dead idea.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The only reason me, and everyone else on his forum, is still playing pool is because of alcohol. If prohibition were to take effect tomorrow we wouldn't be playing pool the day after that.
The room where I play has been in existence for the past twenty-nine years. Two years ago it under went a remodel and eleven big screen TVs were installed. Football, and baseball banners went up on the walls along with beer company logos. Not one item regarding pool, snooker, or billiards exists anywhere.
On Friday, and Saturday nights the college kids take the place over at about six PM and close it down. Cabs swarm the parking lot from midnight until close, taking the drunks home. Of the sixteen Gold Crowns there, all are beer stained, dented and dinged.
Save pool, you say? Well, good luck. This whole deal is going to hell in a handbag. I say, save yourself. Sometimes you have to go all the way to the bottom before you can get back to the top.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Its come to my attention that the whole Sportsbar/Pool Place doesnt seem to work out. Sportsbars dont seem to do well with advertising and keeping customers and they really dont want pool players....they want drinkers.

My local room has a pool room with all 9-footers and a separate room that's the bar/cafe. Works well for both.

A few years ago the cafe had no bar - since they got a liquor license and added a bar business has improved dramatically in both rooms - and the pool room is still a good pool room.

pj
chgo

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
My local room has a pool room with all 9-footers and a separate room that's the bar/cafe. Works well for both.
A few years ago the cafe had no bar - since they got a liquor license and added a bar business has improved dramatically in both rooms - and the pool room is still a good pool room.
pj
chgo

Consider yourself fortunate, Pat.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
You are fortunate

pj
chgo

If the owner where you play has figured out that one helps the other then you are fortunate indeed. Many owners dont see things that way. I offerred to help run a pool club for free, if he would put it out there on Meetup.com which has a fee and he looked at me like I was stark raving mad. Yet I have proof that one such club garnered 60 new people to the sport in about 90 days. If those 60 people end up spending $10 a week that is over 32 thousand a year. Not too bad for $400 investment.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Unfortunately, what you are looking at is a snapshot in time that does not exist anymore. I owned one of those places and yes it was great. But over time the of cost to operate begins to overwhelm you.

If I had not been able to add a beverage license the place would have had to close. The problem with a pool room is, there is a maximum amount that people can pay to play pool.

You only have so many tables and so many prime hours in a day/week/month/year when you make your money. You can do the numbers on paper and if you are honest with yourself see how hard it is to survive in the pool room business today.

Without a bar or some other source of income to augment the pool, you can't survive. Here is an interesting fact. I had the original paper work on a room I owned that had opened in 1960.

Lock stock and barrel it cost them $21,000.00 to open the place. That was 12 Gold Crown tables set up by Brunswick, tables, chairs, carpet, air conditioning and so on.

The rent was $160.00 a month. Electric around 2.2 cents per Kilowatthour. Ins $85.00 a year. City and county license $12.00 & $25,00.

The rate to play pool for two players was around $2.40 an hour. Many places charged per player so at $1.20 per hour per player, four players were $4.80 an hour.

Compare that to todays rates. There are a lot of places today that charge $5.00 to play all day. I used to go to a place in the 1970's that also charged $4.00 to play all day, over 40 years ago.

The value of playing pool has not gone up, in fact it has gone down. That guy who was paying $1.20 an hour in 1975, if he had an average job was making $2.50 an hour.

It cost many more times today to operate a pool room, while the value of your product has gone down. Some may differ with my numbers but the point is the same, the pool room has been passed by economically.

They just cost too much to operate today for the income they can provide. At best a pool room without a bar may provide the owner a modest a paycheck. In other words it is just a job.

androd

androd
Silver Member
The sports bar where I play has 40 tv's 12/15 4x8's 2/ 4-1/2x9's one fair one worthless.
An Internet jukebox hooked to the tv's, when and if the music stops the tv's are way loud.
I take my hearing aids out and try to toughen up. :smile:
Rod.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sorry Charlie - in my years of playing I have observed 90% of the players that
once supported pool rooms migrate to bars and pubs.

I think there is a reason why, don't you?

Dale

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the Filipinos are better because they spend more time playing and less time complaining.

I doubt they do complain much. They play in places with no air, some semi outdoors with dirt floors.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sports bar where I play has 40 tv's 12/15 4x8's 2/ 4-1/2x9's one fair one worthless.
An Internet jukebox hooked to the tv's, when and if the music stops the tv's are way loud.
I take my hearing aids out and try to toughen up. :smile:
Rod.

They are not a pool room with a bar. They are a sports bar that has some pool tables. Those tables are probably of no significance to them at all. They opened a place near me and it is a sports bar and they had six nice bar tables.

A few months later I stopped in and they were gone. They need more seating and the pool tables had to go.
It is not the business they are in so complaining about them may be unfair.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Private Key Clubs

They are not a pool room with a bar. They are a sports bar that has some pool tables. Those tables are probably of no significance to them at all. They opened a place near me and it is a sports bar and they had six nice bar tables.

A few months later I stopped in and they were gone. They need more seating and the pool tables had to go.
It is not the business they are in so complaining about them may be unfair.

Macguy,
My next investigation is to see if I can find room to put together a private key club. Do you think it stands a chance?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Consider yourself fortunate, Pat.

If the owner where you play has figured out that one helps the other then you are fortunate indeed.
Yep, I count my blessings every day - and volunteer where I can to help out. The owner never stops trying to improve things - and he asks for my opinion, which proves he's smart. :)

Although relatively small (only 13 tables) and not well known outside its neighborhood, the place has been the #1 pool room in Chicago multiple times according to an annual poll, and giving equal care to both sides of the business (while keeping them physically separate) is why. I think hybrid venues like this are pool's bright future (but not like that monstrosity Dave & Buster's - barf).

pj
chgo