Sportsbars and Pool....a Conundrum of Opposites

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
For all these reasons and more I have a section in my new book (More Pool Wars) entitled Pool Room Primer. It's kind of a condensed version of what I learned about owning and operating a successful poolroom/sports bar during the last forty odd years. It's one of the longest sections in the book at nine pages, but chock full of the things that a new owner needs to be aware of. I believe it may be quite helpful to someone contemplating opening a poolroom.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Really

Robin, I'm not mad or out to hurt your feelings and I did not put any words in your mouth. You stated "Its come to my attention that the whole Sportsbar/Pool Place doesnt seem to work out." All I said was that I do not see the same picture you paint and I don't. I then spent my time discussing the good things the poolroom is doing for it's customers. My point was that there are a lot of positives in pool and I believe a Sports Bar can work. Nothing slanderous there and nothing meant to cause ill will.

You crossed some lines here David. You cant avoid that. You brought Break Time into it and made it seem as if I was against the good things they are doing and those people are where I go and are friends of mine otherwise I wouldnt give a crap or volunteer to do anything for them.

There are positives in pool and not all of us are digitally inclined but your post was set to make me look bad as if I was talking about Break Time, which I said nothing of them until you brought it up calling me into question.

I guess you are the Break Time hero....well bask in your glory an enjoy it. I think you've tilted your words and done damage to my reputation.

All of this out of volunteerism around the pool room..geez really.

Ive accepted that people are people and are not comfortable doing the same things, but you inferred some things about me that are totally untrue.

I was going tonight as I will be spending the next month of Thursdays there playing for MF and KC.

There were ways of saying what you meant other than inferring anything pertaining to me and you inferred directly to me.

You have called me into question, insulted me and made inferences publicly that are on record.

Well you should have been more careful with your words and you can have it. If you want to take it back thats up to you. I will skip over you and go straight to the top on the challenge ladder.

Banks

Banned
You crossed some lines here David. You cant avoid that. You brought Break Time into it and made it seem as if I was against the good things they are doing and those people are where I go and are friends of mine otherwise I wouldnt give a crap or volunteer to do anything for them.

There are positives in pool and not all of us are digitally inclined but your post was set to make me look bad as if I was talking about Break Time, which I said nothing of them until you brought it up calling me into question.

I guess you are the Break Time hero....well bask in your glory an enjoy it. I think you've tilted your words and done damage to my reputation.

Ive accepted that people are people and are not comfortable doing the same things, but you inferred some things about me that are totally untrue.

I was going tonight as I will be spending the next month of Thursdays there playing for MF and KC.

There were ways of saying what you meant other than inferring anything pertaining to me and you inferred directly to me.

You have called me into question, insulted me and made inferences publicly that are on record.

Well you should have been more careful with your words and you can have it. If you want to take it back thats up to you. I will skip over you and go straight to the top on the challenge ladder.

Sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder over something. I didn't see anything disparaging in his posts. Yours, on the other hand, makes it seem that you do have a problem with him.

Last edited:

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, I count my blessings every day - and volunteer where I can to help out. The owner never stops trying to improve things - and he asks for my opinion, which proves he's smart. :)

Although relatively small (only 13 tables) and not well known outside its neighborhood, the place has been the #1 pool room in Chicago multiple times according to an annual poll, and giving equal care to both sides of the business (while keeping them physically separate) is why. I think hybrid venues like this are pool's bright future (but not like that monstrosity Dave & Buster's - barf).

pj
chgo

I like playing there. It's my favorite pool room.

Tarheel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Robin, this is the last time I am going to respond to you and I don't really know where your tirade is coming from. All I did was disagree with you about your Sports Bar comment. It was obvious to me who you were talking about and I mentioned their name in a good way. You're big into advertising, I used the opportunity to give them free advertising and hopefully bring in more business. Nothing was said to disparage you or meant to disparage you.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read this entire thread...some interesting perspectives and ideas for sure. Some are insightful, and obviously come from some real life experiences.

The conundrum, I don't think is pool being in bars. I think the real conundrum is that pool ONLY exists in pool rooms and bars today. That wasn't always the case. Pool use to be found everywhere. Schools, social clubs (both adult and kids) and many places in between. Businesses that otherwise had nothing to do with pool or bars, etc. Pool was not always so isolated as it is now.

That being said, as someone who sometimes dreams of owning and/or operating a pool room, one idea I would investigate would be hotels. Hotels exist pretty much everywhere and are in the business of leasing affordable space. They have local and out of town clientele, and many also already have restaurants and bars onsite. Hotels attract business by what's available in the area, and some areas don't have much to offer. This is not something I've looked into heavily, but there seems to be synergies and opportunities for the right plan. Obviously, not all hotels or locations would be viable candidates. Like every business, you have to know your market and customer base extremely well.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I've read this entire thread...some interesting perspectives and ideas for sure. Some are insightful, and obviously come from some real life experiences.

The conundrum, I don't think is pool being in bars. I think the real conundrum is that pool ONLY exists in pool rooms and bars today. That wasn't always the case. Pool use to be found everywhere. Schools, social clubs (both adult and kids) and many places in between. Businesses that otherwise had nothing to do with pool or bars, etc. Pool was not always so isolated as it is now.

That being said, as someone who sometimes dreams of owning and/or operating a pool room, one idea I would investigate would be hotels. Hotels exist pretty much everywhere and are in the business of leasing affordable space. They have local and out of town clientele, and many also already have restaurants and bars onsite. Hotels attract business by what's available in the area, and some areas don't have much to offer. This is not something I've looked into heavily, but there seems to be synergies and opportunities for the right plan. Obviously, not all hotels or locations would be viable candidates. Like every business, you have to know your market and customer base extremely well.

Pool is a bunch of Mom and Pop businesses. Ive looked into it trying to make sense of it and for all of the reasons we all know about, unless you approach it from a lot of different ways and offer multiple things around it, its hard to make it work financially and thats a shame.

If I had a wish it would be that Pool could support Pool. At one time it could. From the cost of floor space and current popularity it would be real hard to make it work. In my town commercial space is .57cent per square foot per month but there is no space like that even. Tough business indeed.

mrmagoo42

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That chapter gave some insight on what a good room is like.

Treatment of customers, multiple revenue sources plus many other factors you shared are solid advise. Would like to give it a try cause we have many good pool players in my area that enjoy the game. Or just retire somewhere that has a nice room to hang at. Remember the first and only time I walked into Fargo Billiards while on a tournament trip, fell in love with the place. Just a little on the chilly side up there, lol.

Glad I have both your books cause now any situation comes up I will be armed with the best reference material to be found.

For all these reasons and more I have a section in my new book (More Pool Wars) entitled Pool Room Primer. It's kind of a condensed version of what I learned about owning and operating a successful poolroom/sports bar during the last forty odd years. It's one of the longest sections in the book at nine pages, but chock full of the things that a new owner needs to be aware of. I believe it may be quite helpful to someone contemplating opening a poolroom.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Clarity

Robin, this is the last time I am going to respond to you and I don't really know where your tirade is coming from. All I did was disagree with you about your Sports Bar comment. It was obvious to me who you were talking about and I mentioned their name in a good way. You're big into advertising, I used the opportunity to give them free advertising and hopefully bring in more business. Nothing was said to disparage you or meant to disparage you.

That may be true David but I had no intention of mentioning anything about the specific place or their policies. Since you did I felt cornered, on the spot and defensive about it because that was not in my intent at all. I don't agree with some of it but its not my place to say whether its wrong or right. It was hard for me to discern what your intent was. My intent was defense of my intent for the thread. I did not want my true intent to get twisted and I felt it would be easy for someone to assume things and do that. What you think you said may be one thing but to another it might appear to mean something quite different. I only wanted my intent perfectly clear.

Banks

Banned
That may be true David but I had no intention of mentioning anything about the specific place or their policies. Since you did I felt cornered, on the spot and defensive about it because that was not in my intent at all. I don't agree with some of it but its not my place to say whether its wrong or right. It was hard for me to discern what your intent was. My intent was defense of my intent for the thread. I did not want my true intent to get twisted and I felt it would be easy for someone to assume things and do that. What you think you said may be one thing but to another it might appear to mean something quite different. I only wanted my intent perfectly clear.

Did you read what you first posted? You say that places don't care, don't do anything and don't want pool. Then you go all Rambo when somebody says that isn't true. No clue what your intent was, but you certainly didn't have anything nice to say.

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Tarheel

I think you 2 should play a race to 11,and loser pays the time,and buys the winner his choice on the menu. And the loser has to wear a big pink bra on league nite. Rich aka the skunk.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Did you read what you first posted? You say that places don't care, don't do anything and don't want pool. Then you go all Rambo when somebody says that isn't true. No clue what your intent was, but you certainly didn't have anything nice to say.

Yes I am aware that I went Rambo to an extent and I had a reason. I saw where it could go. I had no intention of putting a specific places business practices on the web and now that is totally blown. Yes I was upset, no Im not proud of it. I am concerned with the effect of what I say on this forum and my good name means something to me, especially in my home room and I felt that when the attention was brought to my home room that I could easily be blamed for putting it out there. I didnt like the position I felt I was being put in be it intentionally or unintentionally, and as far as Im concerned its over said and done and I apologize for being so defensive but I was very uncomfortable with the subject matter introduced. Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut for awhile.